Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Trying to figure out why some potions show up in "Magic" tab but not formula book (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60115)

Daggaroth February 4th, 2018 06:16 PM

Trying to figure out why some potions show up in "Magic" tab but not formula book

Hi all,

I'm playing as an Alchemist in my campaign and so I have been getting used to the creation of potions and I wanted to make a "potion of magic fang" but that particular potion doesn't show up as an available formula when I go try and find a source for it. There are a few others in there like "magic weapon" also show up in the "magic" tab but not in the formula list. I am wondering what I am missing here and how do I go about getting access to making these items. Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated!

charlieluce February 4th, 2018 08:25 PM

The Alchemist Class says "An alchemist can brew potions of any formulae he knows (up to 3rd level), using his alchemist level as his caster level. The spell must be one that can be made into a potion." Since Magic Fang and Magic Weapon don't appear on the alchemist's formulae list, they can't learn them as extracts or make them into potions.

Daggaroth February 5th, 2018 12:03 AM

how do those potions get made then? or are those bits just impossible for a player to make and it has to come from a NPC source or found in loot created by strange and mysterious methods?

EightBitz February 5th, 2018 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daggaroth (Post 262676)
how do those potions get made then? or are those bits just impossible for a player to make and it has to come from a NPC source or found in loot created by strange and mysterious methods?

The "Brew Potion" feat.

The requirements for brewing a potion are different than the requirements for an alchemist's formula.

I don't know the exact details of why some potions are on one list and some on the other, though.

ShadowWalker February 5th, 2018 02:09 AM

Any magic casting class can take brew potion, not just alchemists. Alchemists just get it for free. If there is a spell that is not available to Alchemists then it's available to some other class, and if they take the brew potion feat they can make it into a potion.

Only spells up to level 3 can be used. There are some exceptions to that. Also normally only touch ranged spells can be turned into potions. The one drinking is the one touched.

Daggaroth February 5th, 2018 07:52 AM

Ahh, that makes sense. I just assumed, incorrectly it seems, that Alchemists were the primary source of all potions in the game as thats kinda their thing but it makes sense that someone could take the feat and get into brewing potions to share their spells with others in their party and for profit. Cool. Well thank you! that solves my confusion as to why I couldn't see that in the formula book.