Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Adding new choices in background + custom counter (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=56152)

Oystein July 6th, 2016 12:19 PM

Adding new choices in background + custom counter

Is there a way to add a custom choice in the background tab?

I'd like to add one called "Bloodline", which allows you to choose from a list of bloodlines.

Also, secondly, is there a way to add an stat/counter thing which you can change at will? It's almost like a currency, but it's not really in that category.

It's called "Regency" and it is how much of the realms magical ability you have acquired. It goes up and down as you spend/earn it and is just a number.

Aaron July 6th, 2016 01:49 PM

You could build the various bloodline choices as background picks themselves. Alternately, you could create a configurable to offer one or more tables within which to make the choices.

For the basic counter, I believe there is a "Tracker" component in the editor which is what you need. You'd have to bootstrap it to a mechanic or something else to get it on the hero.

Oystein July 7th, 2016 08:05 AM

Trying to set the tracker to be a max of 4x current aBLD ability score, but my script isn't doing the right thing I think....

Since I want an calculation which isn't included in the current automatic calculations, I've tried to make a script:

Code:

#trkmax[trkBLD] = hero.child[aBLD].field[aNormal].value * 4
But it just shows up as "blank" (it shows up though, which is always a start :D ).

Aaron July 7th, 2016 09:29 AM

When is your script running? Is it before values from attributes are available?

Oystein July 7th, 2016 09:51 AM

It was "First" (since most scripts I see examples of here are that way), but changing it to "Post-Attributes" got it working :)

Again thanks for all the help. Getting things looking good here now. :)

I got the custom ability working, but only if I create duplicates of the existing backgrounds. Is there a way to add it on all existing backgrounds via a script or bootstrapping?

Hollis July 7th, 2016 02:22 PM

You could create a custom adjustment for your campaign that makes the necessary modifications.

Aaron July 7th, 2016 02:48 PM

I believe there was an "All" background tag. Look into that, perhaps with a forum search.

Oystein July 8th, 2016 07:17 AM

*ponders*

There is an "all" background option on the abilities - but that only says who it is available for, the trick is to add the correct fields to all backgrounds so you can select it.

(basically "AbilMax", "AbilName" and "AbilPlur" needs to be added to the background once it is picked. Peeking to see if I can just use an eval scrip to add it (something like:
Code:

hero.findchild[BaseBackground].field[AbilMax].value += 1
hero.findchild[BaseBackground].field[AbilName].text= "Bloodline"
hero.findchild[BaseBackground].field[AbilPlur].text= "Bloodlines"

I've tried looking at configurables, but having a tough time understanding how to use it for something like I want :(

Oystein July 8th, 2016 08:37 AM

NM - solved my problem by using a copy of the same configurable I have made already. :)