Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Linking from the encounter library (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55676)

Toblakai April 24th, 2016 09:31 AM

Linking from the encounter library

Is there a way to link an encounter from the hero lab encounter library? Specifically thinking of RotRL and Giant slayers encounters.

AEIOU April 24th, 2016 10:44 AM

Save encounter to a portfolio in HL. Link the portfolio in RW.

Toblakai April 24th, 2016 11:39 AM

Thanks, figured that was the only way.

Realm Works should have the sub title:

"Busy Work for Geeks" :)

MNBlockHead April 25th, 2016 09:37 AM

Hopefully, when the Content Market is released, adventures sold in the CM will come with the POR files already in the scenes.

Silveras April 25th, 2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlockHead (Post 228646)
Hopefully, when the Content Market is released, adventures sold in the CM will come with the POR files already in the scenes.

I don't know.. that makes the automatic assumption that a RealmWorks GM has HeroLab as well.

I don't know what the outcome will be, but it could be something like multiple versions, with and without embedded HeroLab content, are needed.

For publishers of adventures supporting multiple game systems (such as FrogGod Games or Kobold Press), a core "system agnostic" version is probably needed internally anyway.

Farling April 25th, 2016 02:39 PM

The statblocks within the POR files can be viewed from within RealmWorks without requiring an external copy of HeroLab. So as an alternative to a basic statblock snippet it is quite feasible.

MNBlockHead April 26th, 2016 08:35 PM

I think many GMs would still want a formatted statblock in-line with the text, but in either case, for those that don't have HL, they can just ignore the HL snippets. For existing HL it would be a huge value add and it may attract new buyers. I suppose they could release two versions, with and without, the HL snippets, but I don't see the point in that. Besides, RW already adds HL snippets to encounter topics by default, which implies that they would be including this data in the content released in the CM.

AEIOU April 27th, 2016 10:25 AM

The only issue with HL snippets is that to open them in HL you probably need to own the prereq content -- i.e., Ultimate whatever, Advanced whatever, Bestiary number whatever. There will undoubtedly be threads started about a bait-and-switch from people that assume they have full access to this content from RW in HL.

Or I could be completely wrong and the RW content will open just fine in HL as long as you open from RW. That would be spiffy but completely unexpected.

ThatOneMike April 28th, 2016 08:19 AM

I run Hero Lab on all of my Realm Works' PCs, so there may be something happening there I don't realize, but when I add a Hero Lab snippet and click it, I get nicely formatted stat blocks in the topic. It doesn't need to open Hero Lab. I assume the same could be done for Content Market.

AEIOU April 28th, 2016 03:08 PM

@ThatOneMike: Probably. At least I would hope that would be the case that you can view the stat blocks without HL on your computer.