Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - User Projects (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   [Modiphius 2d20] Star Trek Adventures (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58838)

TCArknight February 18th, 2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSiron (Post 275941)
Ok, looks like that was just a glitch, but I also noticed something that has been partly bothering me for a while.

In the thing_disciplines.dat, you have the disciplines sorted alphabetically, instead of by section. (Command, Conn, Engineering, Medicine, Security, Science... instead of Command, Conn, Engineering, Security, Medicine, Science).

You know, I guess I just never noticed that was how they were grouped. Let me see what I can do to sort them out that way/reorder them.

I’ll also check the event/discipline bonus issue.

PGoodman13 February 18th, 2019 02:12 PM

I can share this now, right? Get more people involved with testing?

TCArknight February 18th, 2019 02:18 PM

Yes, please! :)

More than happy to have more hands on.

PGoodman13 February 18th, 2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 275931)
I’ll see what I can figure out here. For someone with a Mixed Heritage, how should it display on the output?

Standard notation has it as "Traits: Primary species, Secondary species, Other things".

Quote:

I’ll provide separate items for next release. :)
Aces. :)

Quote:

I’m considering redoing the Species and instead of not making them available in an era, simply flag them as truly valid in their appropriate era. That way you could add them with no issue and get a warning. Then, ideally you could add an adjustment to make them valid. Would something like that work?
Probably, though it's honestly not a problem the way it is, to me at least.

PGoodman13 February 24th, 2019 12:33 PM

Here's an interesting one.

Building a main character. Adding Focuses during the Starfleet Academy phase. Change my mind on one, delete it...and it still tells me that I have 3 of 4 chosen, even though I'm clearly looking at two. Add a different one to the mix. Now it tells me I have 2 of 4 chosen even though I'm clearly looking at three.

I didn't have the good sense to get screen caps, though. Sorry.

TCArknight February 24th, 2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 276125)
Here's an interesting one.

Building a main character. Adding Focuses during the Starfleet Academy phase. Change my mind on one, delete it...and it still tells me that I have 3 of 4 chosen, even though I'm clearly looking at two. Add a different one to the mix. Now it tells me I have 2 of 4 chosen even though I'm clearly looking at three.

I didn't have the good sense to get screen caps, though. Sorry.

Hmmmmm.... that is odd.

Let me see if I can recreate it. :)

PGoodman13 February 24th, 2019 03:44 PM

It clears up when you enter Focus number 5 in step 6, so it appears to be some sort of refresh weirdness on the Basics tab.

Farling February 25th, 2019 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 276134)
It clears up when you enter Focus number 5 in step 6, so it appears to be some sort of refresh weirdness on the Basics tab.

I suspect it is the optimisation that Hero Lab performs, so that it only performs a full re-evaluation of all the rules in certain conditions. You can trigger this manually from one of the menus.

It is probably worth contacting support to see if they can ensure that deleting such an item triggers a full re-evalation of the character.

ShadowChemosh February 25th, 2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 276143)
I suspect it is the optimisation that Hero Lab performs, so that it only performs a full re-evaluation of all the rules in certain conditions. You can trigger this manually from one of the menus.

It is probably worth contacting support to see if they can ensure that deleting such an item triggers a full re-evalation of the character.

And HL 8.8e has a bug where hero tags are not being reset or retested without a full evaluation. This causes some weird bugs to happen in different games. A fix for this is coming soon....

PGoodman13 February 27th, 2019 04:30 AM

Was going to add, "I think it's the software and not the dataset," but experts beat me to it.

PGoodman13 March 3rd, 2019 11:11 AM

Creating a Main Character
Step 1: Species

Set to Human

Step 2: Environment
Homeworld option

For this particular option, you get to increase one of the Attributes your species allows you to raise during the first step. Humans can increase any of the six Attributes in step 1. However, when you get to step 2, the only options you get are the three Attributes you chose during step 1.

Per Nathan Dowdell, the system developer, however, the intent for step 2 was for Humans to be able to raise any of those six Attributes, whether they'd been increased in step 1 or not. I'll try to find you the Facebook post where he told me this.

SSiron March 3rd, 2019 04:07 PM

I noticed this problem as well, although I wasn't sure exactly how to change it or bring it up.

I think the best way to fix this (although possibly more complicated coding wise) would be to have a drop-down selection tab on the Environment page for the 'Your Homeworld' and 'Another Species Homeworld' that would allow you to select which species homeworld it is. Then have that selection determine what attributes are available to choose from.

PGoodman13 April 21st, 2019 04:58 PM

Any news on when we might see an update with Sciences included?

TCArknight April 23rd, 2019 09:32 AM

Howdy!

I was getting ready to release an update last night when I found an issue with a couple of things. I fixed them, but want to wait until tonight or tomorrow night to be sure I caught everything.

I’ll go through too and check my notes on what got fixed, etc...

TCArknight April 24th, 2019 05:01 AM

New version 1.6 should be available which includes the Sciences Division items. Please let me know if have any issues. :)

Farling April 25th, 2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 278387)
New version 1.6 should be available which includes the Sciences Division items. Please let me know if have any issues. :)

It didn't flag as an update.
It was listed as 1.6 in the update window.
After downloading, before import it showed 1.5 at the end of the first line (top left corner of import window).

PGoodman13 May 28th, 2019 08:38 AM

Okay, apparently I'm an idiot. How do I add a species to this?

TCArknight May 28th, 2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 279218)
Okay, apparently I'm an idiot. How do I add a species to this?

No, I probably am for not including it on the editor. I’ll check when I get to my laptop tonight.

PGoodman13 May 28th, 2019 09:00 PM

It doesn't help that the editor is kind of arcane, and I haven't had much luck figuring it out. Is it possible to add a user data set that sits alongside this? Say I wanted to create my own "sourcebook" of third-party options that I allow in-game?

TCArknight May 29th, 2019 05:39 AM

Sure, you can copy and modify into another file with the .user extension, or if you need to copy a source selection say to select “House Rules” option on the config hero screen those would go in a .1st file, that help? :)

Duggan May 29th, 2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 279227)
It doesn't help that the editor is kind of arcane, and I haven't had much luck figuring it out. Is it possible to add a user data set that sits alongside this? Say I wanted to create my own "sourcebook" of third-party options that I allow in-game?

If you have a game system that you own (in this case, if you have the Authoring Kit purchased, you will have base Savage Worlds available to you), the help menu includes an entry for using the editor, which is useful.

PGoodman13 June 3rd, 2019 10:26 PM

Okay...if a player decides to build a Soong-type android character, they MUST take the Talent "Polyalloy Construction." How does the program/dataset enforce that requirement?

In a similar vein, how does taking that Talent reflect the increase in Resistance that the Talent grants the character, because it doesn't appear that it does.

While I'm asking questions about requirements, many of the racial Talents say "Certain Species, or gamemaster's discretion." While I can see how to enforce the "Certain Species" requirement, how do I make the program know that the GM has allowed certain things on a case-by-case basis? Say, for instance, that I want to create an Aenar character. Aenar are a telepathic subspecies of Andorians, with telepathic abilities; the easiest way to do this is to just make an Andorian and allow the player to take the Telepath Talent...which is marked as Betazoid only. How do I show GM's discretion with this?

TCArknight June 4th, 2019 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 279336)
Okay...if a player decides to build a Soong-type android character, they MUST take the Talent "Polyalloy Construction." How does the program/dataset enforce that requirement?

In a similar vein, how does taking that Talent reflect the increase in Resistance that the Talent grants the character, because it doesn't appear that it does.

This I need to update. There will be a Validation Error displayed if the character doesn’t have the talent. I still need to add the script to add the Resistance increase.

This will be in the next update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 279336)
While I'm asking questions about requirements, many of the racial Talents say "Certain Species, or gamemaster's discretion." While I can see how to enforce the "Certain Species" requirement, how do I make the program know that the GM has allowed certain things on a case-by-case basis? Say, for instance, that I want to create an Aenar character. Aenar are a telepathic subspecies of Andorians, with telepathic abilities; the easiest way to do this is to just make an Andorian and allow the player to take the Telepath Talent...which is marked as Betazoid only. How do I show GM's discretion with this?

I am away from my laptop at the moment, but there should be (and if there isn’t there will be one in the next update) a permanent adjustment (on the personal tab) to pass the prerequisite for a particular talent.

The same type of adjustment I think needs to be made for Races as well so that they will all be displayed for selection but the user can ‘mark’ a race with that GM Permission.

Thanks for all the help on making the dataset better. :)

Thanks!
TC

PGoodman13 June 4th, 2019 08:54 AM

There's one there for changing Traits and Derived Traits, but I don't see anything in 1.6 for Talents.

TCArknight June 4th, 2019 09:54 AM

Thanks, I’ll see about getting that in ASAP.

PGoodman13 June 4th, 2019 10:08 AM

Okay, the Klingon Talent R'uustai grants the character an extra Value (for a total of 5 instead of the more traditional 4, as evidenced by Worf's writeup in the DS9 character pack). I don't see where the program or dataset implements this, and I'm not sure how it would do that.

I'd like to know, because one of the custom things I'm doing is "The Orville", based on writeups found at https://continuingmissionsta.com/201...e-fools-day-2/ (since Orville is TNG with the serial numbers filed off).

The Moclan writeup features the following Talent:

"TRADITIONAL -- You are well versed in Moclan traditions as the expected procedure for performing Tasks. You gain "Moclan Traditions" as bonus Focus. When you attempt a Task where that focus is applicable, you can use your Conn Discipline to determine if a roll scores two successes rather than the Discipline used to set the Target Number of the Task."

This gives a bonus Focus, for 7 instead of 6, and I don't know how to implement that. Help!

PGoodman13 June 5th, 2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggan (Post 279232)
If you have a game system that you own (in this case, if you have the Authoring Kit purchased, you will have base Savage Worlds available to you), the help menu includes an entry for using the editor, which is useful.

Except it doesn't open. It tells me I have no web browser comfigured, which is ridiculous.

charlieluce June 6th, 2019 02:41 PM

What happens when you try to open a HTML file? On my Windows machine the Editor help file is at C:/program files (x86)/hero lab/docs/manual/editor.htm if that helps.

PGoodman13 June 6th, 2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieluce (Post 279392)
What happens when you try to open a HTML file? On my Windows machine the Editor help file is at C:/program files (x86)/hero lab/docs/manual/editor.htm if that helps.

That worked wonders. Many thanks. Still got a lot to figure out, but now I know how to get someplace. Which is a step in the right direction.

TCArknight June 7th, 2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCArknight (Post 279341)
This I need to update. There will be a Validation Error displayed if the character doesn’t have the talent. I still need to add the script to add the Resistance increase.

This will be in the next update.

I am away from my laptop at the moment, but there should be (and if there isn’t there will be one in the next update) a permanent adjustment (on the personal tab) to pass the prerequisite for a particular talent.

The same type of adjustment I think needs to be made for Races as well so that they will all be displayed for selection but the user can ‘mark’ a race with that GM Permission.

For the next update (1.7):
Fixed - Soong-Type Androids required to take Polyalloy Construction and Positronic Brain
Fixed - Polyalloy Construction increases Resistance +1.

New - Adjustment to make a Race Valid after selection
New - Adjustment to make a Talent Valid after selection.

TCArknight June 7th, 2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 279348)
I'd like to know, because one of the custom things I'm doing is "The Orville", based on writeups found at https://continuingmissionsta.com/201...e-fools-day-2/ (since Orville is TNG with the serial numbers filed off).

The Moclan writeup features the following Talent:

"TRADITIONAL -- You are well versed in Moclan traditions as the expected procedure for performing Tasks. You gain "Moclan Traditions" as bonus Focus. When you attempt a Task where that focus is applicable, you can use your Conn Discipline to determine if a roll scores two successes rather than the Discipline used to set the Target Number of the Task."

This gives a bonus Focus, for 7 instead of 6, and I don't know how to implement that. Help!

This should work (changing the spcHuman to whatever the species id is for Moclan)
Code:

<thing id="talMocTrad" name="Traditional" description="You are well versed in Moclan traditions as the expected procedure for performing Tasks. You gain &quot;Moclan Traditions&quot; as bonus Focus. When you attempt a Task where that focus is applicable, you can use your Conn Discipline to determine if a roll scores two successes rather than the Discipline used to set the Target Number of the Task." compset="Talent" summary="Bonus Focus; If applicable, Conn determines if two successes on a roll.">
    <usesource source="ENT"/>
    <usesource source="TOS"/>
    <usesource source="TNG"/>
    <tag group="TalentCat" tag="Racial"/>
    <bootstrap thing="foCustom">
      <assignval field="domDomain" value="Moclan Traditions"/>
      </bootstrap>
    <eval phase="PreAbility" priority="1000">
        #resmax[resFocus] += 1</eval>
    <exprreq message="Moclan required"><![CDATA[#isspecies[spcHuman] <> 0]]></exprreq>
    </thing>

Replace the usesource entry with whatever source for the Orville info. :)

The #resmax line is the one that adds the additional Focus slot. The bootstrap is as if you went and clicked the add focus on the tab and selected Custom Focus then entered Moclan Traditions in the domain entry.

Does that help?

PGoodman13 June 8th, 2019 07:34 PM

Lots!

PGoodman13 June 9th, 2019 07:56 AM

So, with the Polyalloy Construction Talent, did you make it show just the basic Resistance 1, or did you find a way to show the Resistance 3 to non-lethal attacks as well? I would very much like to see how that's done (if it can be).

In the meantime, I'm trying to dope out how to increase Unarmed Strike damage and change Non-Lethal to Deadly for another Orville race, the Xelayans. Fun stuff.

PGoodman13 June 9th, 2019 08:30 AM

Man. The docs for the authoring kit suck.

TCArknight June 9th, 2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 279551)
So, with the Polyalloy Construction Talent, did you make it show just the basic Resistance 1, or did you find a way to show the Resistance 3 to non-lethal attacks as well? I would very much like to see how that's done (if it can be).

In the meantime, I'm trying to dope out how to increase Unarmed Strike damage and change Non-Lethal to Deadly for another Orville race, the Xelayans. Fun stuff.

Right now, it just adds the 1. However, this does make me think that there might be situations where just add to one or the other. I'll add a new field to the Resistance trait for keeping track of the bonus to non-lethal or lethal.

Both Non-lethal and Deadly are part of the GearQual tag group. You could do:
Code:

perform hero.childfound[wpUnarmed].delete[GearQual.NonLethal]
perform hero.childfound[wpUnarmed].assign[GearQual.Deadly]

I think Mean Right Hook talent uses Setup/1000 for the timing of it's Vicious tag assignment so that should work in this case as well.

hero.childfound[wpUnarmed].field[wpDamage].value += x would be the way to increase the damage.

PGoodman13 June 9th, 2019 03:33 PM

Okay, the last example you gave me threw a syntax error when I tried to test it. "Attempt to access text-based field 'wpDamage' as value."

Code:

perform hero.childfound[wpUnarmed].assign[GearQual.Deadly]
perform hero.childfound[wpUnarmed].delete[GearQual.NonLethal]
perform hero.childfound[wpUnarmed].field[wpDamage].value += 2

There's the whole three lines in that script. It seems okay with the first two lines, so what am I doing wrong in line 3?

PGoodman13 June 10th, 2019 04:54 AM

Remarked that line out and it worked fine for changing the quality, so I now have that under my belt. Poke around a bit, see if I can find some similar talent to see where I'm going wrong with the code increasing the damage.

Duggan June 10th, 2019 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 279552)
Man. The docs for the authoring kit suck.

Although, on the flip side, I was rereading the docs, and the Authoring Kit itself is amazingly versatile.

TCArknight June 10th, 2019 05:27 AM

It’s nothing you’re doing. :)

That would work fine if I had had the wpDamage field set to be numeric instead of alphanumeric. As it is, it has to be accessed as field[wpDamage].text instead and you can’t directly do math with it.

Easiest way around would be to declare a variable, set that variable to the current integer(field[wpDamage].text) and then add to that variable. At the end you would set the damage field text equal to the variable. That make sense?

Or, I can change it to a numeric field. :)

TCArknight June 10th, 2019 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggan (Post 279589)
Although, on the flip side, I was rereading the docs, and the Authoring Kit itself is amazingly versatile.

It really is. I’m amazed I’ve been able to do what I have with it. I just wish it was more up to date. There are some small things here and there that have been improved and don’t match the wiki but are listed in bits and pieces on the forums....