Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   RealmWorks CSV Import Tool (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58156)

Farling November 19th, 2017 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viking2054 (Post 258941)
not if there is a redirect problem though, right? Anyway, right clicking is a work around, easy or not as one might think. Wouldn't you also have to copy 100's of URL's?

The redirect problem was fixed in v1.17 :-)

copy-and-paste in a single CSV file when the basic format of the URL is simple (such as the traveller map) is a lot quicker than open web page, copy link, select topic in realm works, press button to paste picture in edit mode, save topic.

Asandir November 20th, 2017 08:36 AM

Just used this tool for the first time the other night. Very slick. I was able to load some 5K spells into RW. Took a while to process that many rows of data, but it did. I am going to attempt the Feats list I have next.

Farling November 20th, 2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asandir (Post 259023)
Just used this tool for the first time the other night. Very slick. I was able to load some 5K spells into RW. Took a while to process that many rows of data, but it did. I am going to attempt the Feats list I have next.

I'm curious to know, are you creating the CSV files by hand?

Asandir November 20th, 2017 12:54 PM

Coming out of a set of Access db's I was originally using to do some other things that kind of went on semi-permanent hiatus.

They're a collection of spells, feats, magic items and monsters I'd been collecting from various spreadsheets and form data entry into them.

Farling December 16th, 2017 09:22 AM

If anybody would prefer to run this tool on a MAC of some sort, then I have tried to build the latest version (V1.17) on my old OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) laptop.

The installable file should be available at https://github.com/farling42/csv2rw/...orksImport.dmg

Farling January 12th, 2018 10:16 AM

Hello all,

Version 1.18 has just been released that allows you to input the True Name and/or Other Names for a topic from your CSV files.

The really good bit is that you can set up several different "other name" configurations for the various flags on a name, and then assign a different CSV column to each configuration.

This means you can set up a CSV column for Revealed other names, and a different CSV column for still-hidden other names. The generated import file will ONLY contain the true/other names for the CSV cells which are not blank (so you won't end up with a blank revealed other name if that CSV column is empty).

(The correct install file is around 33MB in size. For a few minutes the wrong installation was on the web site that is only around 20MB in size.)

Bidmaron January 12th, 2018 06:18 PM

Very nice, Farling!

joepacelli January 17th, 2018 07:00 AM

Any chance we can drop one of the columns as the parent item?

For example if my CSV is for Weapons and I want the parent to be Exotic, Simple or Martial from the file.

Also, Would like to generate a single file for multiple csv files.

Spells, Feats, Weapons.
Currently I need to generate 3 rwexport files, one for each and then import each one input my realm

What is your app written in? I'm a C# developer and would love to contribute to the development.

Farling January 17th, 2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepacelli (Post 261563)
Any chance we can drop one of the columns as the parent item?

For example if my CSV is for Weapons and I want the parent to be Exotic, Simple or Martial from the file.

Also, Would like to generate a single file for multiple csv files.

Spells, Feats, Weapons.
Currently I need to generate 3 rwexport files, one for each and then import each one input my realm

What is your app written in? I'm a C# developer and would love to contribute to the development.

Hi Joe,

I will add your ideas to the list, both will require some thinking about to avoid the interface getting too complicated.

The application is written in C++ using Qt as the GUI framework; all developed with their Qt Creator IDE.

joepacelli January 17th, 2018 08:25 AM

Looks very nice. I assume your using the Open Source QT version

Farling January 17th, 2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepacelli (Post 261567)
Looks very nice. I assume your using the Open Source QT version

Yes I am. All the source code is on github (that's where the download file is located) under GPL.

Farling January 18th, 2018 02:03 PM

Version 1.19 of the tool has just been released.

This release allows you to create more than one parent, based on the unique values found in a single column of the CSV file. Each row of the CSV file will be placed as a child of the parent which has the matching value for the parent's CSV column.

Now you can group all your spells according to school, or all your weapons according to type.

(Don't worry about the slow turn-around, it only took around 2 hours.)

Acenoid January 18th, 2018 02:57 PM

Wow, I start to think that this can be used soon to import a lot of text passages.
I didn't download the latest version yet, is it possible to set the "flavor" status? (Its not really that important, Iam just using it frequently)

Farling January 18th, 2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acenoid (Post 261635)
I didn't download the latest version yet, is it possible to set the "flavor" status? (Its not really that important, Iam just using it frequently)

Is it possible to set the desired flavor in the category definition?

If so, then you can set this up before exporting the structure file to be used by the tool.

If not, then I'll have to add it to the CSV2RW tool.

Acenoid January 18th, 2018 03:09 PM

I don't think you can set up different flavours in the categories. I am setting it always when I add a snippet to a topic - choosing one of the available flavours.

JustinThomason January 19th, 2018 08:29 AM

Very cool Farling! This is going to make building the skeleton of a module so much easier.

Farling January 20th, 2018 05:10 AM

Version 1.20 has just been added.

This version allows you to specify more than one level of parents for your topics.

This means you can arrange all your Traveller universe planets under their sub-sector category, and then group all sub-sectors below the appropriate sector category.

Or you could arrange your spells by subschool beneath a school topic.

Also, icons have been added to the buttons to make it pretty, and to help users understand what each button will do. The generate button is also disabled until both files have been loaded.

(There was some work done behind the scenes to move towards making it easier to support multiple CSV files as part of a single export file; but more work is required.)

Farling January 20th, 2018 06:30 AM

A quick turn-around to version 1.21

This version adds the ability to set the Snippet Style on each snippet.

Hopefully Acenoid will like it :-)

Acenoid January 20th, 2018 04:53 PM

Thanks man! Will download asap :)

Valyar January 21st, 2018 09:19 AM

This gets better and better! :D

DickNervous January 29th, 2018 06:45 PM

I've been distracted from RW for a while and to come back to see this update is awesome! Great work Farling!

Guyanthalas February 2nd, 2018 09:11 AM

Tool is wonderful, I used it to add a list of spells and it worked perfectly.

I'm looking at adding monsters which has its own layer of problems. I've found some JSON content for monsters here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/com...n_json_format/

JSON works great for storing monsters (multiple actions for example), but terrible as a way to import into realm works.

Any solutions around this that anyone can think of?

Farling February 3rd, 2018 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyanthalas (Post 262544)
Tool is wonderful, I used it to add a list of spells and it worked perfectly.

I'm looking at adding monsters which has its own layer of problems. I've found some JSON content for monsters here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/com...n_json_format/

JSON works great for storing monsters (multiple actions for example), but terrible as a way to import into realm works.

Any solutions around this that anyone can think of?

Have you tried one of the JSON-to-CSV web converters?

A quick google found https://konklone.io/json/ but it might not like massive files.

BJ February 7th, 2018 07:07 AM

Thanks for all your hard work Farling!

Farling February 7th, 2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ (Post 262769)
Thanks for all your hard work Farling!

I consider it easier than coding new game systems in Hero Lab :-)

ErinRigh February 7th, 2018 02:30 PM

If you are any good at PF coding in HL pop over to that forum and give me a hand, will ya?

Farling February 7th, 2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErinRigh (Post 262783)
If you are any good at PF coding in HL pop over to that forum and give me a hand, will ya?

I hate the language - not enough documentation, and too many undocumented macros.

C++ programming is much easier, it's just a shame that I'm UK based rather than US based.

cas206 February 25th, 2018 01:29 PM

Obligatory new member, this is an awesome tool comment. Thanks for this.

Farling February 26th, 2018 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas206 (Post 263550)
Obligatory new member, this is an awesome tool comment. Thanks for this.

I'm glad you like it :-)

If you find you are doing any "work-arounds", then let me know and I'll see if there's a simple improvement to the tool that can help avoid it.

cas206 March 3rd, 2018 09:54 AM

I have a source of XML with content I wanted to import. I used my very basic introductory level skills in XSLT to make the CSV to import. My biggest snag was some of the text contained the delimiter (comma). So I enclosed every text field with quotes. But then some of the text also included quotes which messed up the import. For example, the Mind Flayer innate spell charm gives example commands enclosed in double quotes and with comma's. Some web searching quickly found a way for me to add some XSLT to change the double quotes to single quotes which fixed the problem.

So I don't require any changes. However, you did ask about work-arounds, soooo.... an option to delimit by tabs...or something else, might have helped with this.

Farling March 3rd, 2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas206 (Post 263773)
I have a source of XML with content I wanted to import. I used my very basic introductory level skills in XSLT to make the CSV to import. My biggest snag was some of the text contained the delimiter (comma). So I enclosed every text field with quotes. But then some of the text also included quotes which messed up the import. For example, the Mind Flayer innate spell charm gives example commands enclosed in double quotes and with comma's. Some web searching quickly found a way for me to add some XSLT to change the double quotes to single quotes which fixed the problem.

So I don't require any changes. However, you did ask about work-arounds, soooo.... an option to delimit by tabs...or something else, might have helped with this.

Changing delimiter might be possible.

You can go back to double quote by using two double quotes together within the CSV file.

e.g.

Special rate "1.79"

becomes

"Special rate ""1.79"""

(nicked from https://gpdb.docs.pivotal.io/43180/a...ted-files.html)

cas206 March 4th, 2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 263789)
You can go back to double quote by using two double quotes together within the CSV file.

Tested. It works.

Valyar March 4th, 2018 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Farling, I noticed that when I import into the realm the new data, each import is displayed as "Test Import".

Is there a way to populate the fields with different information, so the outcome is similar to import from previously exported full/partial realm data?

Farling March 4th, 2018 02:54 PM

Version 1.22 has just been released.

You can now enter the name of the RW Import.
The name of the generated file will also default to the entered RW Import name.
The installer has been changed to NSIS which is easier to configure than QTIF.

Sorry Valyar, I forgot about this particular annoyance. I should have implemented this a lot earlier in the tool's life.

Farling March 4th, 2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cas206 (Post 263816)
Tested. It works.

Yes, I checked the code after you posted this, and we do indeed handle "" inside a "-quoted field :-)

Valyar March 4th, 2018 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 263834)
Version 1.22 has just been released.

You can now enter the name of the RW Import.
The name of the generated file will also default to the entered RW Import name.
The installer has been changed to NSIS which is easier to configure than QTIF.

Sorry Valyar, I forgot about this particular annoyance. I should have implemented this a lot earlier in the tool's life.

Without having tried the latest version yet, a suggestion on this matter (might be irrelevant if it is implemented like that already :) ):
  • When RW exports a file, there is meta data about the realm - name, version and etc. The tool reads this data and transfers it to the import file later (can be an option in the GUI or manual inputs for those fields)?

The end result will look like i have exported my own realm to import into it again or something custom.

Farling March 4th, 2018 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyar (Post 263854)
Without having tried the latest version yet, a suggestion on this matter (might be irrelevant if it is implemented like that already :) ):
  • When RW exports a file, there is meta data about the realm - name, version and etc. The tool reads this data and transfers it to the import file later (can be an option in the GUI or manual inputs for those fields)?

The end result will look like i have exported my own realm to import into it again or something custom.

The new text field populates the title of the import, so that is what will appear in the "Imports" window within RW. I have considered adding an additional panel where the other metadata fields can also be set, but that is lower priority than getting the Imports window to show a different name for each import :-)

Valyar March 5th, 2018 12:04 AM

Fabulous :) Looking forward for my next bulk import when time comes!

Until then I am enjoying your RW Output tool... which lately is used quite a lot for player that are reluctant to buy RW.

Arg-ha March 15th, 2018 01:56 PM

getting this error upon import with the latest version:

The following errors were encountered during import:

Encountered validation error for the import XML: The element 'topic' in namespace 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export' has invalid child element 'overlay' in namespace 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export'. List of possible elements expected: 'alias, section' in namespace 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export'.

Farling March 16th, 2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arg-ha (Post 264450)
getting this error upon import with the latest version:

The following errors were encountered during import:

Encountered validation error for the import XML: The element 'topic' in namespace 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export' has invalid child element 'overlay' in namespace 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export'. List of possible elements expected: 'alias, section' in namespace 'urn:lonewolfdevel.com:realm-works-export'.

Overlay seems to indicate that an overlay is being imported, but nothing in the tool is supposed to produce this particular element in the import file.

Could you provide a copy of the generated file for me to look at?

If you are familiar with XML, then just the topic containing an "<overlay>" element would be enough.