Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Shadowrun (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Pre-Req's & editing in general. (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=13663)

CeaDawg August 7th, 2011 04:50 PM

Pre-Req's & editing in general.

I'm adding custom qualities and magical traditions to the user file, the editor has a button for pre-reqs.

Where do I find the syntax for this? Or at least a tutorial that actually covers all the features of the editor?

I'm not a programmer, yet. So most of this is a bit foreign to me, and it looks like I'm going to have to give up and learn to punch code to be any good with this thing. Any suggestions for what to study?

cryptoknight August 7th, 2011 05:34 PM

I'm in the same place as you CeaDawg. And I'm familiar with or good with several programming languages. But without an object model or a functional reference, it's really hard to try to add the qualities from the books presently not covered in the base files.

Duggan August 8th, 2011 05:58 AM

Generally, the best way to learn is to look at the existing code. If you do an Add Copy, do any of the existing items have pre-reqs that resemble what you want?

cryptoknight August 8th, 2011 01:38 PM

Not that I can see, I've found the resource script I need to edit in order to enable Born Rich to work, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make it test for the quality born rich. If I could, I could then make a quick mod and be good, and continue trying to put in all of Runner's Companion

CeaDawg August 8th, 2011 05:08 PM

Neither of the 2 traditions (Hermetic & Shaman) show pre-reqs or expr-reqs. However, the Quality Elf Poser does have an expr-req: #hasrace [racHuman] <> 0

The traditions is what I'm working atm & is eating my lunch trying to make Path of the Wheel and all of it's sub-traditions work.

According to the RL practitioners, I've only found two groups, there are either 6 or 7 sub-traditions within the wheel. Neither group is from Ireland, haven't found any real world reference to it being practiced there. The two groups I did find are from American Indian decent and African decent. In the American Indian practice there are 6; the hub (death), the 4 spokes (earth, fire, water, air), and the rim (life). The African version moves life to one of 5 spokes and replaces it on the rim with one that could be called called the Path of Kings.

In both groups one masters each of the spoke traditions before learning either the hub tradition, or the rim tradition, but not both. This makes sense in the first group as death is opposed to life, but seemed a bit convoluted to me when folks from the second group tried to explain it to me. Just have to use the "I believe" button I suppose.

In keeping with this concept I'm looking at a practitioner having to first choose Path of the Wheel, as their Primary tradition, and then each of the spoke traditions in turn until they have reached some level of initiation beyond rank 1. Having achieved this level of mastery they would then be able to choose another spoke tradition and repeat the process until they are at least rank 2 initiates in all of them. At that point the practitioner would then be able to choose either the Path of Death or the Path of Kings, or Life depending upon your mythos.

I envision this working something like the Martial Arts presented in Arsenal.
That being that a character chooses the Martial Arts quality, then chooses a Martial Arts Style/Tradition to go with it, and later picking up another style to master once they've boned up on their techniques a bit.

The process would be something like this at character creation:

1. The player chooses one of the magical qualities (Magician, Adept, Mystic Adept, etc.) to enable their use of magic.
2. They then choose "Path of the Wheel" from the qualities, which unlocks the limit on having only 1 tradition with respect to the other paths of the wheel AFTER the character is finalized. During character creation the player would be limited to choosing only one of the "spoke" traditions of the wheel.
3. The player finishes out the character and Locks the character to finalize it in the creation mode, moving it to play mode.

During play, the character initiates and gains meta magics as normal. With "Path of the Wheel" selected as a quality, an expression in the chosen tradition checks the initiation rank of that tradition. Once rank >1 becomes true then the player can choose another tradition from the "spokes" of the wheel. The expression is repeated for that tradition and the process continues until each of the "spoke" traditions is rank >1. During this whole series of learning new traditions is finished with the spokes, the expression within the "Path of the Wheel" quality checks to see if all the spoke traditions are rank >1. If this is true, then it unlocks the choice of taking either "Path of Death" or "Path of Kings". Once either of these is selected then further selections of paths is locked, preventing choosing both Death and Kings.

Mathias August 11th, 2011 12:07 PM

I apologize that I haven't had the time to write a proper set of documentation for the editor yet. That's on the to-do list, and I hope to get to it soon.

Mathias August 11th, 2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeaDawg (Post 60179)
During play, the character initiates and gains meta magics as normal. With "Path of the Wheel" selected as a quality, an expression in the chosen tradition checks the initiation rank of that tradition. Once rank >1 becomes true then the player can choose another tradition from the "spokes" of the wheel. The expression is repeated for that tradition and the process continues until each of the "spoke" traditions is rank >1. During this whole series of learning new traditions is finished with the spokes, the expression within the "Path of the Wheel" quality checks to see if all the spoke traditions are rank >1. If this is true, then it unlocks the choice of taking either "Path of Death" or "Path of Kings". Once either of these is selected then further selections of paths is locked, preventing choosing both Death and Kings.

Would it work to make the levels beyond the initial selection into qualities? They can be free, if these upgrades are something that happens automatically.

Mathias August 11th, 2011 12:12 PM

Being able to easily track what tradition/stream a character has is something I'll add for the next update.

CeaDawg August 11th, 2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathias (Post 60488)
Would it work to make the levels beyond the initial selection into qualities? They can be free, if these upgrades are something that happens automatically.

No, because each of the "Spoke" traditions (Bard, Druid, Life, Warrior, Steward) can be taken as traditions without taking the "Path of the Wheel" Quality in the same way that a character can learn a martial art style without taking the "Martial Art" Quality. In the case of the martial art styles the styles are just an adjustment to the unarmed combat skill, similar to a specialization or subskill. The "spoke" traditions would be treated as regular traditions, limiting the character to following only one tradition. "The Path of the Wheel" Quality is what allows them to stack up those traditions within the wheel. Normally, the character does not change their tradition within the life time of the character.

DrunkZombie August 12th, 2011 04:41 AM

I've been making guesses sometimes as to what the method names are. Have you tried #hasQuality or #hasTrait? Since #hasaugment and #hasrace exists, there is a good chance one of them will.

Mathias August 12th, 2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeaDawg (Post 60539)
No, because each of the "Spoke" traditions (Bard, Druid, Life, Warrior, Steward) can be taken as traditions without taking the "Path of the Wheel" Quality in the same way that a character can learn a martial art style without taking the "Martial Art" Quality. In the case of the martial art styles the styles are just an adjustment to the unarmed combat skill, similar to a specialization or subskill. The "spoke" traditions would be treated as regular traditions, limiting the character to following only one tradition. "The Path of the Wheel" Quality is what allows them to stack up those traditions within the wheel. Normally, the character does not change their tradition within the life time of the character.

My thinking here was that "Path of the Wheel" would be your tradition - and it would always stay your tradition.

The spokes you had acheived along the path would be represented by the qualities you had.

CeaDawg August 13th, 2011 08:33 AM

Would defining them as qualities still allow them to make adjustments to casting and summoning bonuses? If not I'll find a place to post a couple of tables & charts that show the Path of the Wheel features and selection options/advancement process.

Mathias August 13th, 2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeaDawg (Post 60656)
Would defining them as qualities still allow them to make adjustments to casting and summoning bonuses?

Yes.

You can even have them add mentor spirit powers, just like the mentor spirits themselves are dong, so that the listings show up in the normal table.

Jahlor November 27th, 2015 12:37 PM

I know this thread has gone cold for quite a while, but I was under the impression that one could not 'learn' multiple paths in the Path of the Wheel unless one was an Elven Noble, the Path of the King is basically unofficially reserved to 'true-elves' who have been living for centuries waiting for Mana to return and no PC character may follow it because it's over-powered (basically giving the advantages of all of the other paths combined).