Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Adding Custom Languages (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=43327)

ChillBro Baggins March 31st, 2013 01:15 PM

Adding Custom Languages

I am a new user of Hero Lab, and I would like to add languages to it that are used in my custom setting.

How would I do this?

Tom

Aaron March 31st, 2013 02:47 PM

Go to Tools -> Launch Editor.
In the editor, go to the Languages tab, and hit the blue "New (Blank)" button in the lower left. Enter the name of the language, a unique ID for it, and a description if you like. Once you've got that sorted, hit the "Test Now" button in the upper left corner (this integrates the thing you currently have selected into the HL program). For the first thing you try to test, the program will prompt you to save the file, so do that.

Then simply Duplicate the language you just made (it is another button near New (Blank), in the lower left), changing whatever you like for those, when making subsequent languages.

ChillBro Baggins April 1st, 2013 03:35 AM

Thanks! Now that I have all my languages entered, how do I export them so that all my players can use them as well?

Aaron April 1st, 2013 09:01 AM

Make a copy of the .user file with those languages and then send that file to all your players, so that they can put it in the HL data folder.

Maidhc O Casain April 1st, 2013 06:22 PM

A follow up question to this one - how do I make my custom languages legal to choose as starting languages for my characters?

chiefweasel April 2nd, 2013 03:20 AM

Do you want it to be an automatic language?

Nightfox April 3rd, 2013 09:54 AM

You can make your custom language a legal starting language for all characters by removing the prerequisites. In the editor, under the Languages tab, select your custom language. The second check box down is "Don't generate pre-requisite?". Selecting this will remove the restrictions on when a character can and cannot take the language.

Now here's a follow up, is there a way to add a specific language from a feat or ability?

Maidhc O Casain April 5th, 2013 04:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefweasel (Post 152431)
Do you want it to be an automatic language?

Nope - just legal as a starting language. Thanks, though - that makes a difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfox (Post 152502)
You can make your custom language a legal starting language for all characters by removing the prerequisites. In the editor, under the Languages tab, select your custom language. The second check box down is "Don't generate pre-requisite?". Selecting this will remove the restrictions on when a character can and cannot take the language.

Well, that's what I thought as well. But for our Living Pathfinder group I've made all of the regional languages in the editor and selected the "Don't generate a pre-requisite?" box. Then I make an Aasimar character with a 12 INT and select one, but it still shows up red and I get the validation error "Deltan: Language may not be taken as a starting language."

It may be worth noting that we've got a specific language (Low Landellian) that we've substituted for "Common." (Thanks to great users here who helped with that, BTW). I'm not sure if the mechanics we used for that are interfering. I'm attaching the .user file for LPF in case someone with more expertise than I has the time and would be willing to take a look at it.

Nightfox April 5th, 2013 08:06 AM

My bad, I didn't test fully before posting. :o
OK, here's the quick (or long if you have a lot of custom languages) fix.
On each of the custom languages add the following eval script

Code:

perform hero.assign[Language.xxxx]
Just replace xxxx with the ID of the language.
The "No prereq..." will make the language a legal pick from the menu, and the script will add the necessary tags for character validation.

Maidhc O Casain April 5th, 2013 07:12 PM

Excellent. I'm not really conversant with phase/timing stuff - what should I use for this?