Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - User Projects (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   [Modiphius 2d20] Star Trek Adventures (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58838)

PGoodman13 June 10th, 2019 10:20 AM

Is that a change you're making in 1.7, or do I need to work on that kludge to build this character I'm working on?

TCArknight June 10th, 2019 10:26 AM

I’ll do it for 1.7

Give me a couple of days to test everything. You can just leave it commented out until new version.

PGoodman13 June 10th, 2019 11:49 AM

Cool deal. What I really want to see is how you enforce the "Gotta buy this Talent" rule, so I can steal it, too....

TCArknight June 11th, 2019 07:32 PM

1.7 should now be available. :)

PGoodman13 June 11th, 2019 08:39 PM

Okay, being able to make a Talent legal in the Personal tab seems to have worked just fine; it let me make a Klingon telepath as a test case just fine, so that's way cool.

The validation rule was easier than I thought it was going to be. Also way cool.

Brings me back to line 3 of that eval script where I'm trying to up the damage of an unarmed strike.

Code:

perform hero.childfound[wpUnarmed].field[wpDamage].value += 2
Getting a different syntax error now when I try to compile/test it: "Error in string expression." I don't happen to see an error there, but I'm a game writer and not a developer.

Farling June 11th, 2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 279624)
Okay, being able to make a Talent legal in the Personal tab seems to have worked just fine; it let me make a Klingon telepath as a test case just fine, so that's way cool.

The validation rule was easier than I thought it was going to be. Also way cool.

Brings me back to line 3 of that eval script where I'm trying to up the damage of an unarmed strike.

Code:

Getting a different syntax error now when I try to compile/test it: "Error in string expression." I don't happen to see an error there, but I'm a game writer and not a developer.

I think "perform" invokes a function, whereas "blah += 2" is an expression that would normally be on its own line. (But I'm not fully up to speed on their scripting language.)

TCArknight June 12th, 2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 279624)

Code:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 279627)
I think "perform" invokes a function, whereas "blah += 2" is an expression that would normally be on its own line. (But I'm not fully up to speed on their scripting language.)

Glad i didn't break anything. :)

And Farling is correct. Just drop the perform. Since you are working with the value of a field, you don't need it.

The way i look at it is if you're doing something to the overall pick (on the hero) or thing (item in general) you need the perform. otherwise if you're working with values/text of a particular item, you don't. That help? :)

Mathias June 18th, 2019 01:56 PM

Or, think of it as perform getting replaced with:

trashvariable =

All lines in HL that execute a change have an equal sign in them, so, if perform gets replaced with that equal sign, does your line now have two of them?

That's why if you look at some of the oldest pieces of d20 or WoD, you'll see

var result as number
result = assign[some tag]

That's now a deprecated coding style, and using perform is now preferred. That's left over from before "perform" was added to the scripting language.

Farling June 18th, 2019 11:43 PM

Trying to import V1.7, the list of files indicated that thing_species_DS9.dat was not going to get replaced.

On switching to the game system, it reported duplicate entries in thing_species_DS9.dat and another file with DS9 in the title.

I had to manually delete the thing_species_DS9.dat in order to get the game system to compile.
I got a thing_species_DS9.dat

TCArknight June 19th, 2019 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 279782)
Trying to import V1.7, the list of files indicated that thing_species_DS9.dat was not going to get replaced.

On switching to the game system, it reported duplicate entries in thing_species_DS9.dat and another file with DS9 in the title.

I had to manually delete the thing_species_DS9.dat in order to get the game system to compile.
I got a thing_species_DS9.dat

I’ll check on that, thanks for letting me know.

PGoodman13 July 8th, 2019 07:22 AM

Career Event "Encounter With a Truly Alien Being" should raise Reason and Science by 1 each. The description says this. The actual changes, though, are Daring and Command.

PGoodman13 July 15th, 2019 07:06 PM

And in just a few days, we get to add Alpha Quadrant!

TCArknight July 15th, 2019 08:11 PM

So true!

Excited for all the new races, etc... :)

PGoodman13 July 30th, 2019 02:23 PM

So...when can we expect 1.8? :)

TCArknight July 30th, 2019 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 280666)

I am trying for sometime this weekend, at least for the Races and talents portion :)

TCArknight August 3rd, 2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 280666)

It should be up now. :)

Quote:

v1.8
08/03/19
Fixed -
Custom Talent - Now able to rename to anyname instead of "Custom Talent"
Career Event: Encounter with Truly Alien Being - Correctly adds to Reason/Science instead of Daring/Command

New -
Alpha Quadrant Sourcebook

PGoodman13 September 4th, 2019 07:05 PM

Step 3: Upbringing
Option: Artistic and Creative
Accepting this Upbringing should raise Presence by +2 and Insight by +1. The values that come up, however, are reversed (Presence +1 and Insight +2). (The values for rejecting this upbringing appear to be correct.)

This is in 1.8.

TCArknight September 10th, 2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 281839)
Step 3: Upbringing
Option: Artistic and Creative
Accepting this Upbringing should raise Presence by +2 and Insight by +1. The values that come up, however, are reversed (Presence +1 and Insight +2). (The values for rejecting this upbringing appear to be correct.)

This is in 1.8.

This will be fixed in next release.

Also, there are a few improvements to the single sheet output format:

https://i.imgur.com/tZcWaMIl.png

The division colors (used for names, headers, etc.) are a rough guess and could use some tweaking. Any suggestions along these lines would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions on sheet improvements would be appreciated as well. :)

PGoodman13 September 11th, 2019 11:32 AM

Once I get to my computer, I'll find the RGB codes for the colors I use on my NPC writeups.

TCArknight September 11th, 2019 01:01 PM

Thanks! I appreciate that!

PGoodman13 September 12th, 2019 08:03 PM

Sorry for the delay. Here are the colors I used for my NPC sheets as shared on the Continuing Mission website.

Command Gold: R 255, G 155, B 0 (this is actually a little more orange than the uniform, but it had a better contrast on the white page)

Operations Red: R 255, G 0, B 0

Sciences Blue: R 0, G 176, B 240

Roadie November 9th, 2019 03:53 PM

While trying to use this dataset for the first time in Hero Lab 8.9c, I'm getting this error:

https://i.imgur.com/mHKVMS9.png

TCArknight November 9th, 2019 04:00 PM

Hmmmmm...

I’ll check it out. It seems to work fine on my end...

PGoodman13 January 9th, 2020 03:17 PM

Gamma Quadrant is out.... ;)

TCArknight January 9th, 2020 04:33 PM

I saw that before I left for work this morning. I haven’t even had a chance to dive into it yet! LoL :)

Looking forward to it though. :)

Farling January 10th, 2020 02:50 AM

The descriptions for talents do not appear in the tooltip popup in HL, although they appear in the printed output.

The HL tooltip says "no user description", which seems to suggest that "tagis[component.Custom] <> 0" (according to procedures.dat)

Also, it looks like only Control has its description definined in the .dat file.

Farling January 10th, 2020 03:12 AM

Hi,

There is an issue with you using a specific font called "TrekArrowHeads".

1) When hovering over one of the weapon descriptions for the first time, a popup window appears saying:

Quote:

One or more fonts, macros, references, and/or bitmaps are undefined.

To see a list of the undefined entries, go to the "Develop" menu and select "View Undefined Resource Usage".
2) It causes a related warning when generating a single sheet PDF.

I guess the font could be converted into individual bitmap images and then the issue will be avoided.
--

The generated PDF doesn't look like your nice picture from the an earlier post either :-(

The formatting of the talent descriptions is a bit odd on the printout because there are specific line breaks added in the description fields in the .dat file. Looking at some PF files, explicit line breaks are only required on paragraph boundaries.

--

I'm now available for text data entry if you want help getting text into the system.

I'm not so hot on scripting, so less useful in that area.

TCArknight January 10th, 2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 284892)
There is an issue with you using a specific font called "TrekArrowHeads".

1) When hovering over one of the weapon descriptions for the first time, a popup window appears saying...
2) It causes a related warning when generating a single sheet PDF.

I guess the font could be converted into individual bitmap images and then the issue will be avoided.
--

If I understand things correctly, this is probably due to the font not being installed on the system. [techsupportvoice]Have you installed the font to your computer?[/tech support voice] :)

Seriously though I would love to get this showing without needing the specific font. Have you done that kind of conversion? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 284892)
The generated PDF doesn't look like your nice picture from the an earlier post either :-(

The formatting of the talent descriptions is a bit odd on the printout because there are specific line breaks added in the description fields in the .dat file. Looking at some PF files, explicit line breaks are only required on paragraph boundaries.

--

I'm now available for text data entry if you want help getting text into the system.

I'm not so hot on scripting, so less useful in that area.

I’ll double check, but I think I have that sheet currently on my dataset for inclusion in the next release.

The line breaks come from the cut and paste out of the pdfs and I missed a few. :) if you could point me to the entries, I’ll get them cleaned up.

I also really appreciate the offer. Let me see what I need for the new GQ book and will let you know.

TC

TCArknight January 10th, 2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 284891)
The descriptions for talents do not appear in the tooltip popup in HL, although they appear in the printed output.

The HL tooltip says "no user description", which seems to suggest that "tagis[component.Custom] <> 0" (according to procedures.dat)

Also, it looks like only Control has its description definined in the .dat file.

This is something I’ve been meaning to go back and look into. I know a lot of the descriptions, etc are hit and miss.

Let me see what needs to be done about that tooltip. I may need to do some recoding, etc...

Thanks for reminding me about this! :)

Farling January 10th, 2020 07:23 AM

There are lots of unrequired "\n" across 22 files.

I tried modifying your equipment.str file to use "{meta bmpfull}{bmp StarTrekArrow}{revert}" instead of your "{font TrekArrowHeads} A{revert}" (in two places).

The "bmpfull" allows the image to appear in the descending part of the text line.

I then added a TrekArrowHeads.bmp into the data directory, grabbed from the font viewer (the image being 9 pixels wide and 13 pixels high).

(I can push my changes for both BMP and the "\n" issues to a branch in git if you want :-) )

TCArknight January 10th, 2020 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 284896)
There are lots of unrequired "\n" across 22 files.

I tried modifying your equipment.str file to use "{meta bmpfull}{bmp StarTrekArrow}{revert}" instead of your "{font TrekArrowHeads} A{revert}" (in two places).

The "bmpfull" allows the image to appear in the descending part of the text line.

I then added a TrekArrowHeads.bmp into the data directory, grabbed from the font viewer (the image being 9 pixels wide and 13 pixels high).

(I can push my changes to a branch in git if you want :-) )

Thank you very much! :) I’ll try to get that into the next update.

PGoodman13 February 5th, 2020 07:02 AM

Will we be seeing Gamma Quadrant and the Voyager PC supplement soon?

TCArknight February 9th, 2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGoodman13 (Post 285615)
Will we be seeing Gamma Quadrant and the Voyager PC supplement soon?

I hope in the next couple of days. :)

This will have a slightly different visual look and I'm trying to make sure I get everything just right.

TCArknight March 17th, 2020 02:11 PM

My apologies for taking so long, but a new version available.

v1.9
Release: 03/17/20
Fixed -
No descriptions showing for Talents and other items
Artistic And Creative Upbringing - correctly adds +2/+1 to Presence/Insight instead of the reverse
Improved starship component tab, renamed to Ship Details
Mixed Heritage provides traits from both species

New -
Better Single Page hero output sheet
Better Single Page starship output sheet
User specified Custom Trait for Starships
New UI look
Configure Hero defaults to Main Character
Voyager Character Sourcebook

PGoodman13 March 17th, 2020 07:03 PM

I'm getting a number of issues playing with Liberated Borg in Mixed Species (I'm a sudden, unexpected fan of xBs). Once I get them cataloged I'll post specifics.

A few things while I'm in that process, though. When you press the "Add Traits" button on the Mixed Species tab, the Liberated Borg trait doesn't show up. If you change your mind on the base species and hit "Add Traits" again, it doesn't let you delete the old primary species trait on the Traits tab.

If you choose Klingon as primary species, it shows Klingon twice when you click "Add Traits," but Liberated Borg still does not appear.

More later.

TCArknight March 18th, 2020 05:40 AM

Thanks for letting me know. I'll check into it once have all the details.

expectdelay April 2nd, 2020 11:22 AM

error loading game first time

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadie (Post 283635)
While trying to use this dataset for the first time in Hero Lab 8.9c, I'm getting this error:

https://i.imgur.com/mHKVMS9.png

I'm getting this same error, using version V8.9g. Was there ever a solution to this problem?
Thanks so much!
-l

Just to add a little more context - I only get this error using the Mac client. On my PC it works fine.

SirXX3 June 25th, 2020 04:41 PM

When I attempt to open the game I receive an error message:

:(

Quote:

The data files could not be loaded due to the following errors:

Resource 'fntlarge' - Font 'CourierNew' is not available on all platforms and may not be used
One or more timing errors were identified. Please review the timing report and correct the errors. You can access the report under the 'Develop' menu or by clicking this link.

Jay_NOLA August 26th, 2020 04:53 AM

The 3 .stock files of the character's from the 3 series give an errors when viewed as that they were made for another version of the data files.

The 3 files are:
DS9_Player_Characters.stock
TOS_Player_Characters.stock
TNG_Player_Characters.stock

TaylorBland October 5th, 2020 05:24 PM

EDIT: Never mind, my dumb ass didn't read the previous 2 posts about my exact problem. it was about the error messages so i just deleted those stock files and things work now. never mind!!!

NOTE: It happens to the best of us sometimes.....