Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works in Action (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Realmworks and VTTs (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=67339)

Ed Reppert August 27th, 2022 10:21 PM

Realmworks and VTTs

What is the relationship between RW and VTTs? Do they complement each other? Does Realmworks replace whatever VTT we may have been using?

Dami August 28th, 2022 12:23 AM

RealmWorks is not a VTT. Its a tool to put all of your RPG Campaign in one place. A linked set of world/country/place/people/events, etc... whatever you put into it.

Dark Lord Galen December 5th, 2022 08:24 PM

And the one thing Dami doesn't mention Ed,,,, is Realm Works is dead in the water unfortunately... it's a great black hole you put things in for them never t o come back out... the designers no longer put any effort into supporting it.:(

Dami December 5th, 2022 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen (Post 300439)
And the one thing Dami doesn't mention Ed,,,, is Realm Works is dead in the water unfortunately... it's a great black hole you put things in for them never to come back out... the designers no longer put any effort into supporting it.:(

I didn't mention it because I expect anyone looking into RW should already know that it isn't being further developed or supported now (and probably won't in future). That doesn't mean it's "dead in the water" by normal definitions. It does work, and people are still using it. The lack of support is extremely disappointing, but I'm more upset with LW in regards HLC and HLO stuff that is meant to be supported and isn't getting that support. At least RW got an official announcement that it's "all over".

Valyar December 8th, 2022 02:41 AM

I use it all the time. RW is the best tool that was ever developed and I tried all possible things, including the new shiny Obsidian stuff that people moved to.

Merion December 8th, 2022 09:50 PM

I'm still using it too, despite the sad lack of further development.

On the topic at hand: Farling wrote an amazing importer for FoundryVTT that works like a charm!

My workflow currently consists of putting my stuff in Realm Works and once I added or changed things I need for the upcoming session, I export my realm in RW and import it into Foundry. For my realm with 1600+ topics and an export file size of over 1.3GB that takes roughly 15min.

Farling December 11th, 2022 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merion (Post 300459)
I'm still using it too, despite the sad lack of further development.

On the topic at hand: Farling wrote an amazing importer for FoundryVTT that works like a charm!

My workflow currently consists of putting my stuff in Realm Works and once I added or changed things I need for the upcoming session, I export my realm in RW and import it into Foundry. For my realm with 1600+ topics and an export file size of over 1.3GB that takes roughly 15min.

I must say that my largest import file was only 800 MB, so well done on 1.3 GB actually working :)

(Large file handling was a pain to write to support the massive files that RW generates.)

Did you know that you can do partial exports (and imports) - rather than exporting the entire realm each time?

Merion December 17th, 2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 300482)
Did you know that you can do partial exports (and imports) - rather than exporting the entire realm each time?

Yes, I know, but the workflow in realm works is what keeps me from doing that. Because that would mean to add a tag to all changed topics in realm works, do a partial export based on this, then remove the tag from all topics again. It's usually easier to just do everthing.

But you're right, I should probably switch to doing it this way, then I could put more things into compendia.