Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   HL - Authoring Kit (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Access Entity in Form (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=28904)

drizztdn November 13th, 2012 02:49 PM

Access Entity in Form

Hi I'm working on a palladium system for myself. I was wondering if an entity on a form, ie for a gizmo popup, was available in the position script?

Example:
Code:

<form
    id="chsMrtArt2"
    name="Choose 2 Martial Arts"
    entity="chsMrtArt">
    <layoutref layout="chsMrtArt"/>
    <layoutref layout="chsMrtArt1"/>
    <position>
      </position>
    </form>

How would I reference the chsMrtArt entity in the position script? I've tried entity.chid[], child[], gizmo.child[], chsMrtArt.child[] .... all of which just give errors of one form or another. Any help you would be great.

Thanks

Mathias November 13th, 2012 03:02 PM

Why does this need to be in an entity, and not something on the hero? If you put it in an entity, you're making the user make several extra clicks in order to select their martial arts, as opposed to a selection on the hero, where they'd just need to click the "Add another" option on the table, and select their options - they wouldn't have to enter and leave the form, too.

drizztdn November 13th, 2012 03:48 PM

It is the easiest way to add them because each class has extremely different options for which martial arts then have access to.

Mathias November 13th, 2012 10:07 PM

It won't seem as easy when you get to the part where you have to shadow all those abilities onto the hero.

Tell me more about this system. Let's make sure that entities are the correct way to go about this system before I guide you through the very complex mechanisms that entities require.

drizztdn November 15th, 2012 06:45 AM

After your last comment I've into it again, and figured out how to do it directly on the hero. I just had to wrap my mind around how it could be done.

So a bit of system info. Each class gets one martial art, but a couple get 2, with 1 exception; 1 class gets 1 martial art and 3 physical skills.

I ended up creating a helper object, bootstrapped to hero for ui use only, that the class pushes the selection criteria onto. The layout then goes against the helper object to know which portals it should display. These portals use the helper object for their candidate pick/field.

Mathias November 15th, 2012 07:57 AM

I'd just use fields on the hero to store the information, but a helper object works, too.

Rather than using multiple portals and switching between them, can you use a single table for the user to select their martial arts, and use a resource to store the number of them that have been selected/need to be selected? (Might need to be two tables - one for martial arts, one for physical skills). (Are there any other things in the game that offer bonus martial art or physical skill selections?)

Is there a way to get multiple classes? If so, what happens to the martial arts in that case?

drizztdn November 15th, 2012 09:59 AM

There is no multiclassing and nothing adds martial arts except for the class. I tried using a resource to but the second martial art, if there is one, has a different set of selection criteria than the first.