Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   What is a good way to add a new campaign to my world? (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=58830)

Madmaxneo July 23rd, 2017 10:05 AM

What is a good way to add a new campaign to my world?

My current campaign is almost at an end (though the players may want to continue it in the future). I am in the process of creating my next campaign which is on the same world and in the same game system. I wanted to start adding the basic info to RW didn't want it to mix with the info for my current campaign but want it added to the world. What is the best way to go about doing this in RW?

I thought about adding a new "Topic View" but I am not sure if it will work well. What do you all suggest?

Vargr July 23rd, 2017 12:56 PM

Well, you could copy the contents of your realm into a new realm (using the export-import feature).

Then delete everything player-relevant from the new realm.

Use this as your master realm and do only make world related changes here.

Copy your new realm over to a new-new realm. Use this new-new realm for your new group. Add group relevant changes here. Expand your world in the new realm and not in this realm. Copy changes over when needed.

I know - lousy explanation but it is getting late and I am on my way to bed...

kbs666 July 23rd, 2017 02:49 PM

What Vargr said.

Create a "master" realm that would be a copy of your existing realm. delete everything specific to the existing campaign leaving just the stuff that is specific to the world and game system.

Then you need the discipline to maintain 2 copies of the realm. The "master" where you do all world building, which you export from everyone time you make changes, and the "campaign" level one where you build adventures for the new campaign. This will let you do this again in the future.

meek75 July 23rd, 2017 04:03 PM

Do you plan to run the first campaign again? Why not just create a new story almanac for the new stuff? I think that is what you mean when you say add a topic view. I think this works great. I have often run more than one campaign in the same realm. Unless the info from the last campaign needs to be removed from the world for some reason I wouldn't go that route.

Madmaxneo July 23rd, 2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meek75 (Post 253210)
Do you plan to run the first campaign again? Why not just create a new story almanac for the new stuff? I think that is what you mean when you say add a topic view. I think this works great. I have often run more than one campaign in the same realm. Unless the info from the last campaign needs to be removed from the world for some reason I wouldn't go that route.

Yes, to create a new story almanac you need to click on "Create Topic View" in the drop down list. The info from the last campaign can stay there in case anyone in the group wants to and actually goes into RW and wants to look something up...
I think that's the best route for this idea.

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

Teresa July 24th, 2017 02:21 AM

I'm not sure how this compares to Meek75 and Madmaxneo's suggestion, but I would create a tag to identify the topics for campaign A, campaign B, etc, so that I can filter out the ones that I don't want to see at the moment.

Merion July 24th, 2017 04:59 AM

Story almanach is one option, although I personally use it to separate stuff for single adventures. For example in my current campaign my players are searching seven sigils. The search for each one compares to an adventure module and each one gets its own view.

My campaign isn't near the end yet, but I do intend to use the realm and the world for the next one too. I don't like handling several realms for the same game world. So I created a storyline topic for the campaign, put the story quests under this and scenes on the next lower hirarchy.

So long story short: everything campaign and story related is in the Events category under a storyline topic or a sidequests event lists. All the rest of my world is story-agnostic and in the appropriate categories.
Of course, if my players change something in the world (e.g. they've built a mill run by intelligent rats!), I'll put that down in the relevant topic.