Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Occasional error when loading (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=44488)

Lonewolf147 June 5th, 2013 07:19 AM

Occasional error when loading

I've been getting an error when staring HL. I get the error at random times and can't pin it down to any specific action.

The error box that pops up says:
Error loading preferences file: 'c:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\herolab.prefs'

A backup file was located and restoration can be attempted. If you choose not to use the backup, all settings will revert to their initial defaults.

Would you like to try restoring from the backup?
If I go to that directory while the error message is still onscreen, I can verify that the prefs file is indeed missing. When I select YES to restore, it restores and loads just fine. Until the next time the file goes missing and I have to restore again.

Any thoughts on what's going on or how to fix this? I have uninstalled (total wipe of all directories and registry entries) and reinstalled. This had done nothing for me. I've also got HL running licensed on two other laptops, and they do not have this problem.

Lonewolf147 June 16th, 2013 04:15 AM

No thoughts from anyone on this?

RavenX June 16th, 2013 01:37 PM

Are you running the Windows or Mac version of the software? I know that the Mac version occasionally has issues loading updates. Do you have a screenshot of the exact error message? Personally I've never seen an error message of this sort, but a little more information might help someone that knows more about the software to help you out.

Lonewolf147 June 16th, 2013 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Windows version (Win7), and here's the error message that pops up:

Attachment 2332

Watching the directory where the prefs file is saved, it seems that whenever HL creates a new backup file it then deletes the original file. So when I go to start HL the next time, I get this error message and have to restore from a backup. Now I don't know for sure that it is HL deleting the prefs file, but that seems to be the process that is happening.

ShadowChemosh June 16th, 2013 04:48 PM

Have you actually emailed LW support at support@wolflair.com? Your dealing with a part of the software that only LW can really help with. I can help allot with .user files but the internal workings of HL software itself is a black box.

All I can say is this is truly the first time I have heard anyone report this issue. Which means it very well is unique to your computer setup. :(

Lonewolf147 June 16th, 2013 04:58 PM

No, I haven't emailed them yet. I'll do that next though. I thought I'd ask on the forums first in case someone else had seen it.

winterbear June 19th, 2016 02:15 PM

Today the absolute same thing happened to my wife and she's leery about touching anything till she knows what will happen. She has emailed Lone Wolf Development immediately when it happened.