Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Hero Lab Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Ipad first impressions (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=43478)

Globetrotter April 9th, 2013 10:47 AM

Ipad first impressions

It looks clean and easy to understand where everything on the main page is. So far, I think this is a great start. I want to write the things I would suggest adjusting, although please do not think I am not very happy with this app. So far, I love the work you guys do and own 100% of the pathfinder data packages.

I think it would be great if the community added to this as well.

1. Changing weapons is difficult and slow. A quick select would be great. I don't think it is necessary to have multiple weapons equipped at the same time, so selecting a weapon could auto deselect another weapon.

2. The dice rollers are great (although I get an unusual amount of 20's when I roll). Could we combine the attack and damage rolls? That speeds it up greatly. So, when I hit the dice roller for my longsword, the dice roller shows my hit and damage in the same screen, in stead of me having to back out and then go into damage.

3. Can we have a section that details the class as well? This might seem redundant, but I would be great to be able to press the class at the top of the page and have a pop-up detailing the information, like you can with all the other attributes and feats.

4. For the consumables, and daily use powers, could we had a + symbol next to the value adjustment? Then we can just this the + and move it forward once instead of hitting the value adjustment, scrolling to the next number and then closing the window. Having the window is great to make larger adjustments, or back adjustments, but usually they move in increments of 1 (or for arrows more), and I think that would be faster.

5. Can you add a reach section to the weapons? Then when you are enlarged, the correct threatened area is shown.

6. A status window would be great too. So when you add a condition, you remember you added it. Maybe as simple as the condition button showing how many status effects are in [conditions (1)]. You could do the same things for adjustment to remind you that you have X amount of spell effects in place. - sometimes we forget such things

That's all that I can think about now. I know shadowchemosh mentioned the saving wait times, and a response already addressed you are working on it. of course, everyone has commented on being able to delete in the app.

I don't know how to sync this with my desktop yet, but I haven't read the instructions yet either.

I am looking forward to using this at my next session. I will have more comments after that. I really like all the information that is included; i don't even need to have my books at the table with this!!

Very happy so far.

ShadowChemosh April 9th, 2013 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
**Lead off with these of course all my opinion and just another take on how groups use HL***

Quote:

Originally Posted by Globetrotter (Post 153072)
1. Changing weapons is difficult and slow. A quick select would be great. I don't think it is necessary to have multiple weapons equipped at the same time, so selecting a weapon could auto deselect another weapon.

I agree with everything but this one as I want the exact opposite. Please just show ALL weapons on the list all the time. Its common for my group to carry multiple weapons which get used in combat and unless your TWF their is no reason to actually need to swap them.

For example:
Longsword.....
Heavy, Mace....
Greatsword...

Would all display the correct values without needing to be equipped. So now I would have to actually spend the time equipping the weapons which is takes time instead of just using them.

Worse for my monk player who currently has 9+ different weapons and like to flurry with different ones at different times. Now you equip more than one weapon and get the wrong values as HL thinks your TWF with them. (Note: if you equip both in the "Main" hand it seems ok other than showing a red warning message). Also none of the "Flurry of Blow" info shows in the front screen. But at least you can go to the "change" screen and see all the values.

Another note playing around for monks is that you have to actually "equip" "Unarmed Strike" to make it display on the main page. Again not something that can't be worked around but another of "show" all weapons on the main page would fix this.

Last note about weapons is that I currently have higher level Mythic characters and this means big magical weapons. The text for weapons is not shrinking itself and its becoming unreadable in places:
Attachment 2138

Globetrotter April 9th, 2013 12:11 PM

Shadow, I think I agree with you. Having the weapons section scrollable with all weapons equipped would be nice. How would you adjust for wielding one-handed, off-hand or two-handed? That would be troublesome.

I don't like the over-text that you have displayed as well. Forgot about that one.

chiefweasel April 9th, 2013 03:44 PM

I have the same issue with the text for my weapons as well.

Mathias April 9th, 2013 03:49 PM

The text overwriting issue is a bug. Please report bugs the same way you'd report any other Pathfinder bug (just make sure to flag it as iPad specific).

This one's already been reported through the bug reporting mechanism.

ShadowChemosh April 9th, 2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathias (Post 153109)
The text overwriting issue is a bug. Please report bugs the same way you'd report any other Pathfinder bug (just make sure to flag it as iPad specific).

This one's already been reported through the bug reporting mechanism.

Yep no problem. I figured to wait until this weekend as I have a game Saturday and this will get put through its paces I hoping. So may as well report them all at the same time. :)

Aendery2k April 9th, 2013 06:40 PM

So far, I like it a lot. My biggest initial complaint is that they should have added toggles for some common buffs. Especially Haste, as I have it on every Melee guy I use about half the time. I also beleive that some feats (like furious focus), while included on the sheet, are not factored in to the sheet.

Globetrotter April 9th, 2013 09:35 PM

Right, I agree with Shadow.

I was hoping this forum to be a brainstorm of additions to the program. Maybe it gives ideas or maybe just a fun place to wax.

RMohrfun April 10th, 2013 07:01 AM

I'd like to be able to delete the characters from the app without having to connect the tool to iTunes. Apple specifically broke the link with iTunes, the tool should follow that mind-set. I'd suggest a delete and play button on the line with the character name in the selection window, or maybe "It's dead, Jim" (delete) and "Let's kick butt" (play) buttons. :-)

Aside from that I am very happy with what you all created. Looking forward to some day being able to create a character from scratch in the tool.

Colen April 10th, 2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aendery2k (Post 153126)
So far, I like it a lot. My biggest initial complaint is that they should have added toggles for some common buffs. Especially Haste, as I have it on every Melee guy I use about half the time. I also beleive that some feats (like furious focus), while included on the sheet, are not factored in to the sheet.

You should be able to add Haste as a spell adjustment, by tapping the "Adjust" button at the bottom of the sheet.