Lone Wolf Development Forums

Lone Wolf Development Forums (http://forums.wolflair.com/index.php)
-   Realm Works Discussion (http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Realm Works Users' Vent in the HLO Forum (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=64732)

Acenoid January 14th, 2021 01:50 AM

Sorry man, they have to fix this! After all they are still SELLING this tool on the webpage.

It cannot be THAT expensive to offer a MINIMUM of support for your software - even if its on a backburner / freezer indefinitively...

Therefore we should highlight this to the support.

Especially for all the hours lost - ASK THEM what are they going to do to fix your problem. It's not that an important but optional feature like imports are broken in the latest versions, but a core functionality snippts/topic creation seems to be bugged in your instance!

They have to help.

Acenoid January 14th, 2021 01:51 AM

Btw my support reqplies were rather quick.

Ualaa January 14th, 2021 11:40 AM

In the past, tickets I've submitted (I use a VPN) were never received.

I made a comment once on the facebook fanpage for Realm Works, and one of the Lone Wolf people contacted me.
They verified they hadn't received a ticket, but were able to resolve my (your realm won't sync, some error code) issue the following day.

Ualaa January 14th, 2021 03:05 PM

Accidental double post

kbs666 January 17th, 2021 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ualaa (Post 293195)
In the past, tickets I've submitted (I use a VPN) were never received.

I made a comment once on the facebook fanpage for Realm Works, and one of the Lone Wolf people contacted me.
They verified they hadn't received a ticket, but were able to resolve my (your realm won't sync, some error code) issue the following day.

In the past, when I still bothered submitting support tickets, I'd frequently be told by Rob and the other technical people involved with RW that they had never received the ticket, I didn't use a VPN back then. The fast is whatever program they use for collection of tracking of tickets hasn't worked properly in roughly 5 years.

Exmortis January 25th, 2021 02:56 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I got a response from LWD support Wed stating that the realm with the snippets to large error is the result of a ,NET framework problem they cannot control. I guess I need to delete my masterrealm file and download it all again, which for my Telon realm is fine, I have maybe 1-2 hrs of work lost.

However my first ticket, regarding another realm totally different sync error, was closed, with no response, which is not cool. This realm has an entirely different issue, and if I lose the sync I will lose 50-60+ hrs of work, due to the delay in response I kept working on this realm. So I brought it to their attention this realm was closed with no response and asked they take a look at this, so if I can resolve its sync first, I can then delete the master file and re down load it

We will see how it goes.

Acenoid January 25th, 2021 05:13 AM

I understand correctly - you still have all data available to you locally?
You can also "sync" between your machines / computers by using the backup + restore functionality. It is a bit of a hassle and not as comfortable as synching up / down.

Since the sync does not detect exact differences and does not really help me by showing details of the changes, I decided for myself, that I can handle my syncs myself.

Exmortis January 26th, 2021 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acenoid (Post 293443)
You can also "sync" between your machines / computers by using the backup + restore functionality. It is a bit of a hassle and not as comfortable as synching up / down.

Since the sync does not detect exact differences and does not really help me by showing details of the changes, I decided for myself, that I can handle my syncs myself.

Issue is,, my laptop has not been used for 2-3 months with a sync or more. It was not really used for a while, and when I did not for RW work, mostly maps with CC3+.
So the loss of work would be enough for me to just walk away for life if I did that....
In the order of 100s of hours, I spent weeks since I had nothing to do over the holidays working on RW during the holiday downtime. and most evenings leading up to it. RW as been great for time sync during lockdowns.
But maybe I will fire it up and see if I can sync Telon and make some changes to see if it has same issue or not, and if it does not many I can try your idea.

Thanks,

Exmortis January 26th, 2021 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acenoid (Post 293443)

I have an question, anyone tried to just have the RW data reside on the cloud? Is there a way to redirect RWs file locations? Maybe I can just share it by loading it from my OneDrive.

Ualaa January 26th, 2021 08:07 AM

Way back I remember someone trying to do something along these lines.

We figured the database location could not be changed.
There was an idea to use a symbolic link, so the location that it points to could instead look to somewhere on DropBox or another cloud storage option.

Potentially do that on as many devices as you have.

Valyar February 13th, 2021 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exmortis (Post 293460)
I have an question, anyone tried to just have the RW data reside on the cloud? Is there a way to redirect RWs file locations? Maybe I can just share it by loading it from my OneDrive.

Yes, there is a way to relocate RW files to different location on your computer using symbolic links, which is feature of the OS. It is completely transparent for the program. I have been running this setup for more than two years on the backup computer, which has spinning disks. The details are in this thread:
https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60738

Do not use any cloud storage for live data, the background synch mechanisms might cause issue with the data and RW is not designed to work this way. You can't share same DB between two instances, the only way is to make backup/resoters or use the "still working fine" online synchronization service.

Storing your backup file to online cloud storage is fine.

Kendall-DM February 21st, 2021 09:47 AM

Hey Rob, very glad to see that you are making a full recovery. Been a while since I've visited the forums, and just happened to notice this thread as I'm contemplating my only way to homebrew my 5E game, and that's HL (the competition has nothing on your innovative tool). Hope you are well my friend, take care of yourself.

Exmortis February 25th, 2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyar (Post 293561)
Yes, there is a way to relocate RW files to different location on your computer using symbolic links, which is feature of the OS. It is completely transparent for the program. I have been running this setup for more than two years on the backup computer, which has spinning disks. The details are in this thread:
https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=60738

Do not use any cloud storage for live data, the background synch mechanisms might cause issue with the data and RW is not designed to work this way. You can't share same DB between two instances, the only way is to make backup/resoters or use the "still working fine" online synchronization service.

Storing your backup file to online cloud storage is fine.

Cloud for live data is what I was referring too, and thanks for the tip. constant backup the realm is not really feasible on my craptastic rural internet And Starlink isn't feasible here either, far to many trees, maybe once a few hundred more sats are in orbit. Some year we will join the 20th century lol

Exmortis February 25th, 2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendall-DM (Post 293733)
Hey Rob, very glad to see that you are making a full recovery. Been a while since I've visited the forums, and just happened to notice this thread as I'm contemplating my only way to homebrew my 5E game, and that's HL (the competition has nothing on your innovative tool). Hope you are well my friend, take care of yourself.

yeah no other product has near zero communication, no support....no future.

Yes I am in that boat, more hours then I care to admit now flushed like yesterdays dinner. So positive for so long... Those days are also gone.

B_Douglass March 20th, 2021 03:53 AM

I have been away for a couple of years, and I am trying to get my digital gaming life back together.

I was working with someone from the support team (Ryan Furnas), but I still need to know which email address they have attached to my RealmsWorks account, and I haven't heard from him in 5 days.

Is there any way to get their attention, beyond sending a "hello?" message to support@wolflair.com ?

Thanks

Eidolon May 2nd, 2021 08:26 PM

What a shame. I was going to reinstall RW, but thankfully I visited the forums after finding literally no one talking about it for the past year.

With the incredible growth of RPGs, especially D&D, the last 2-3 years, Realm Works should have been the most popular campaign management software. No other really comes close to the potential functionality. Instead, we get OneNote/Scrivener/WorldAnvil recommendations and tutorials.

Hopefully, this type of product will be produced to fruition by someone. There is certainly a demand for it. And based on this thread, it would be very difficult to rebound from such a lack of support and professionalism, let alone no real need for a subscription model (I can guarantee you that scared a lot of potential users away) for an installable app.

I wish Rob the best, but this should not have happened. And considering we are in the golden age of RPGs, it's such a missed opportunity for him.

daplunk May 2nd, 2021 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Douglass (Post 294312)
Is there any way to get their attention, beyond sending a "hello?" message to support@wolflair.com ?

Thanks

Quickest way I've found is to create a post in the Hero Lab Online forums.

Valyar May 4th, 2021 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidolon (Post 294776)
I wish Rob the best, but this should not have happened. And considering we are in the golden age of RPGs, it's such a missed opportunity for him.

Also thanks to the pandemic many people discovered online play and the wonderful world of VTTs... therefore tools like RW and HL will be in demand.

I still have hope. I plan to express my support and desire for future of RW by renewing the cloud access... After all, the program is serving me extremely well. :)

Greebo May 4th, 2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyar (Post 294805)
Also thanks to the pandemic many people discovered online play and the wonderful world of VTTs... therefore tools like RW and HL will be in demand.

I still have hope. I plan to express my support and desire for future of RW by renewing the cloud access... After all, the program is serving me extremely well. :)

I would love to see RW prosper and get further development, but I only have a small amount of fools hope left.

:(

Mostly, I am still here because I did not have the time to choose a sufficiently suitable replacement.

Merion May 5th, 2021 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greebo (Post 294806)
Mostly, I am still here because I did not have the time to choose a sufficiently suitable replacement.

Same, I have been looking for alternatives, but haven't found anything suitable so far.

Has anyone tested Fantasia Archive? It's free, open source and in active development, so a lot of plus points here. Not quite sure about how the features (and the roadmap) compare to RW.
Github: https://github.com/Elvanos/fantasia-archive

TheArchivist_19 May 5th, 2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merion (Post 294827)
Same, I have been looking for alternatives, but haven't found anything suitable so far.

Has anyone tested Fantasia Archive? It's free, open source and in active development, so a lot of plus points here. Not quite sure about how the features (and the roadmap) compare to RW.

Hey, good find! Fantasia Archive seems like a viable alternative to RW (unless the RW team can get their act together). Also, check out Campfire Pro and Campfire Blaze.

Maidhc O Casain May 5th, 2021 10:51 AM

Looks interesting. I've got SO much time and effort invested in RealmWorks, though… And I just keep on putting more in, too.

Valyar May 5th, 2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain (Post 294835)
Looks interesting. I've got SO much time and effort invested in RealmWorks, though… And I just keep on putting more in, too.

We bear the same curse :)

Greebo May 5th, 2021 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valyar (Post 294837)
We bear the same curse :)

Same here.

Maidhc O Casain May 6th, 2021 01:23 AM

Heh, yeah. My choice to jump is also made difficult by the fact that I backed the Kickstarter at the level for "top-tier" server access for life. Turns out that "tiers" aren't really a thing in this case. At least I'll never have to pay any extra for server access, so I'm good until they shut down the servers. Which, with HLO being their flagship product now, won't be until they go out of business and close the doors. Probably. Small blessings, right? Gotta look for 'em.

Farling May 6th, 2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merion (Post 292561)
The big question is: is there an importer for RW in World Anvil?

Because if I can't automate that to at least some extent, I'm not using the tool. Right now I'm toying with the idea of just shoving everything into Foundry VTT. I'd lose some functionality like plots, relationships and my hirarchical order, but it might be worth a try.
Foundry has an open API and is written in Javascript while Realm Works allows a XML output. It should be possible to write an RWImport module for Foundry without 'too' much effort - take content from certain tags and put it into certain js object properties - but I've been using Foundry for a week now, so me writing a module for it is nothing that will happen short term. Mid-term I might think about it if no one else is doing it.

At a very early stage for getting your requested RWoutput details into Foundry for running online. This is a module that runs inside Foundry and requires you to copy and paste the RWoutput file into a window, so not the perfect solution yet for big files:

https://github.com/farling42/fvtt-im...ad/module.json

Maidhc O Casain May 7th, 2021 06:56 AM

That's fantastic, Farling! I recently bought Foundry - my first VTT program - and I'm just learning how to use it...

Merion May 8th, 2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farling (Post 294857)
At a very early stage for getting your requested RWoutput details into Foundry for running online. This is a module that runs inside Foundry and requires you to copy and paste the RWoutput file into a window, so not the perfect solution yet for big files:

https://github.com/farling42/fvtt-im...ad/module.json

Wow! You're a saint! Will test this the coming week - already stoked!

Is there a recommended size limit? My realm is well beyond the 1GB mark as an export file - is that feasible or should I break it down in chunks?

Farling May 9th, 2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merion (Post 294889)
Wow! You're a saint! Will test this the coming week - already stoked!

Is there a recommended size limit? My realm is well beyond the 1GB mark as an export file - is that feasible or should I break it down in chunks?

You should create an RWoutput file, not an RWexport file, for use with this tool. It might be smaller.

You might also want to break up your large realm. At the moment, each time you use the tool to perform an import, the data is going into a single compendium within Foundry. So to get data into separate compendiums, you can use separate outputs from RW and imports into Foundry.

daplunk May 9th, 2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merion (Post 294827)

Very interesting and it's hitting the right notes with me. I've got it installed but not yet started doing any data entry.

Doesn't look like they are seeking to make automatic linking which I still feel is one of the most important features of RW. It's also missing map functionality currently so not ready to be used as a replacement.

It's open source though... there's some real potential here.

nightpanda2810 May 17th, 2021 07:02 AM

Posting this here since it has the most visibility:

Recent 256 release does NOT fix importing bugs of 254 and 255. In fact, its release blocks 253, the working import/export version, from cloud syncing.

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=65903
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=63665

Dark Lord Galen May 22nd, 2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exmortis (Post 291820)
Well we did have our Bi-Yearly visit from Rob, but we have been put back on the bottom shelf again. So yeah, nothing new.

Not surprised....sadly...

SteveT May 28th, 2021 06:37 PM

Hi everyone, rather than responding in all the various related threads related to the last few RW builds 253-256, I've opened a new thread which I intend to be a central place for me to respond to these issues and provide information:

https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=65964

An important note discussed in more detail in that thread is that we've now reduced the required build to access the server back down to 253 (with caveats). Also, if you experienced import/export issues in builds 255-256 that were not present in build 253, please take a look at the instructions there. Thank you!