Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Globetrotter

Old November 3rd, 2017, 09:19 PM
Is there anyway you can add a single magic arrow to your character sheet?

Could either shadow or the devs add an arrow to the weapons section?

I want to add 10 +1 bane arrows, but I cannot seem to do it. I have to add 50, then tick down 40 arrows. If I am watching my wealth by level, I then have to remove that calculation with an adjustment.

Having the option to add magic to a single arrow instead of forcing 50 at a time is tough. Monsters do not drop 50 arrows, they drop 4 or 10.

Is there a way to do this? Am I missing something?
Globetrotter is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 3rd, 2017, 10:02 PM
Rather than ticking down 40, sell the 40 back. That will keep your WBL correct.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old November 4th, 2017, 06:37 AM
You could make some basic arrows in the editor that could be bought singly, or say a group of 5 or 10. Copying something like a 'searing' or 'sleep' arrow could give you a basic +1 arrow too. Another way would be to add a "custom" item to the Hero, by entering what you wanted (eg "Bane Arrows") and calculating the cost.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.

Last edited by Dami; November 4th, 2017 at 06:39 AM.
Dami is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old November 4th, 2017, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Rather than ticking down 40, sell the 40 back. That will keep your WBL correct.
I will have to try that. I honestly did not think that would be an option since you cannot choose how many you can buy.

So, to clarify, if I want to add 5 +1 bane evil outsider arrows I find, I need to go to the weapons tab, click add magic or masterwork, add custom, select 50 arrows, configure them and buy them.

Then select the arrows I just added and try to sell the amount I didn’t pick up in the first place to get the correct amount.

Every time. When I find 5 different types of arrows, when I find a few bolts.. or any ammunition that I run across that I have to craft as sets of 50... but I cannot find or buy a smaller amount. Is that right?

Yes, I’m aware I could create a custom item in the editor (which is impossible for me to understand- which is why I bought this program) and then share that custom item with everyone in my party so they can do the same, if we can figure out how to export the edit and bring it into 6 other computers, not to mention ththe iPads.

I am guessing you should at least see the point I’m making. Why can’t you just not add a single arrow to the game?
Globetrotter is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old November 4th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Oh, I forgot to add:

What if I can only afford to buy 5 magic arrows? I cannot. I need to go to the journal tab and then add the gold I would need to buy 50 arrows, since I do not want to buy them for free, then buy the arrows, sell back the 45 arrows, then go back to the journal tab and remove the amount of gold I added to bring my wealth back correctly.

Of course this throws off the tracking system you added on buying and selling items, which was a great system to audit players and to know where your money went, but hey, that is not important anyway, right?

Finally, according to the PRD, arrows that you buy come in a quiver that holds 20 arrows. 1 GP buys you 20 arrows. Again, crafting is 50, but buying is 20. I am not sure why, to be honest, but there you go.

Having a single arrow in the game allows us to do the basic concept of buying 20 arrows, buying 5 magic arrows, adding 10 arrows we find, etc...

Why would you not allow this simple thing?

Truly, I am not trying to be snarky, so please do not read as such. This is a true and honest question.
Globetrotter is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old November 4th, 2017, 08:01 AM
You can check "buy for free" and you can check to buy at a "custom cost".
The free option means what it implies.

The custom cost, means you pay whatever you want to pay.
If you take the cost for 40 arrows and divide by 40, you get the cost per arrow.
Then multiply that by however many arrows you want to buy.
Pay the amount, for all 40 arrows, that you wanted to buy the lesser quantity of arrows for (normal cost for say 3 arrows).

Then sell the rest.
When you're selling, the default price you get is 0%, but you can click 50% and 100%.
So if you bought 40 arrows (worth 1gp each) and only wanted 5 arrows (so paid a custom price of 5gp), then you could sell the remaining 35 for 0% sale price and end up with 5 arrows at 5gp total.
Ualaa is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Globetrotter

Old November 4th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
You can check "buy for free" and you can check to buy at a "custom cost".
The free option means what it implies.

The custom cost, means you pay whatever you want to pay.
If you take the cost for 40 arrows and divide by 40, you get the cost per arrow.
Then multiply that by however many arrows you want to buy.
Pay the amount, for all 40 arrows, that you wanted to buy the lesser quantity of arrows for (normal cost for say 3 arrows).

Then sell the rest.
When you're selling, the default price you get is 0%, but you can click 50% and 100%.
So if you bought 40 arrows (worth 1gp each) and only wanted 5 arrows (so paid a custom price of 5gp), then you could sell the remaining 35 for 0% sale price and end up with 5 arrows at 5gp total.
Sure, you could do all of that if you want to break out a calculator to buy a few arrows after a bunch of buying and selling processes.

Or, you could just have the develops add a single arrow to the game instead of playing the stock market.
Globetrotter is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old November 4th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Normal arrows you can buy in whatever quantity you want.

Weapon Tab.
Other weapons section.
Type Arrow.
Scroll down to ammunition.

Locate Arrow (x20).
Left click it.
In the bottom right, under the Stack options.
Number to add is 20 by default.

Change that to 1 or 56,384, or somewhere in between.
Ualaa is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old November 4th, 2017, 08:36 AM
+50

It's dead simple to start with one piece of ammunition and buy/craft multiple compared to the song-and-dance of starting with 50.

Our Gunslinger player who we finally got to buy Hero Lab for Pathfinder after years of the rest of us using it never stops complaining about this.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old November 4th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Extrapolate from that...

Magic, Custom, and Masterwork Weapons.
Click New weapon.
Double click on Custom at the top with Price Varies to the side.

Change base type to +1
Choose Weapon and change that to Arrow
Half way down the dialogue box, click to add a new special ability
Select Bane

It's the default Pathfinder system that is getting you 50 projectiles for the same cost as 1 equivalent weapon, not something Hero Lab is doing.
If you want to buy in an atypical quantity that the Pathfinder game does not assume you'll want to do, you need to apply a workabout in HL.

It tells you that a +1 Bane Arrow is 8,302gp and 5sp, which is for 50 of them.
Divide the cost by 50, and you have the per arrow cost.
Buy as many as you can afford, using Custom Cost to pay the correct amount for the number you're buying.
Then sell the rest back for 0% of the purchase value, since the ones you're not taking you didn't pay for.
Ualaa is offline   #10 Reply With Quote