Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 7th, 2017, 10:36 AM
In the past, my duplicated game system for d20 was able to be updated when the newer versions came out. Today I tried to update the duplicated d20 system and it did not update. Even though I did not update the original d20 system, it stated it was updated.

I believe the update is only applied to the original d20 system folder, regardless of which system, original or duplicate, is the chosen system for the update.
Kendall-DM is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 7th, 2017, 11:00 AM
I have 5 d20 games, 9 Pathfinder games and 3 different 5e D&D games in HL. All update without issues as they should.

Can you list the "exact" steps your doing?

Here is how I update my 9 Pathfinder games:
1) Download and install to my main game (ie the normal default location).
2) After the update I go to the folder: C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\download
3) I double click on the Pathfinder.hl file to start the installer again.
4) Click the "Change" button next to the "folder for game system". I then type in one of the additional folder names (ie Pathfinder_Pack).
5) Press "OK" and then "Start Import".
6) Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each additional folder/game.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 7th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Duh! So long away from the software and I forget that I have to change the folder. I knew that, but my memory... ooph. Thanks ShadowChemosh, I'm good to go now. *feeling stupid*
Kendall-DM is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 7th, 2017, 12:07 PM
Got another issue though. Not seeing any of the Domain spell choices when selecting Domain spells. I do see the ones I've created for my own domains, but I don't see any of the ones from the standard d20 domains, so I can't select any of those spells.

I went and looked at all the spells that were created for this new feature, and none of the spells appear to choose the Spell Class for a Domain. For example, Acid Fog was a spell I input for the Water domain, at spell level 7, but for some reason the spAcidFog7 spell does not have any Spell Class selected. Did something change?

UPDATE: Nevermind, I found the issue. If there is a Replace Thing Id on a Domain, it isn't allowing for selection of spells from that originating domain. They have to be added to the new replacement, since those don't appear to be moving down (though the pre-existing spells don't seem to be affected on the replaced Domain).

Last edited by Kendall-DM; October 7th, 2017 at 12:12 PM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 7th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
Got another issue though. Not seeing any of the Domain spell choices when selecting Domain spells.
I just created a level 1 cleric and added the Air domain. I set Wis to 13 and I added the domain spell "Obscuring Mist". I can't duplicate your issue.

Quote:
I do see the ones I've created for my own domains, but I don't see any of the ones from the standard d20 domains, so I can't select any of those spells.
Need more info as I can't duplicate this.

Quote:
I went and looked at all the spells that were created for this new feature, and none of the spells appear to choose the Spell Class for a Domain. For example, Acid Fog was a spell I input for the Water domain, at spell level 7, but for some reason the spAcidFog7 spell does not have any Spell Class selected. Did something change?
Yes this has all been redesigned. The "Domain" controls which spells are domain spells not the spell. HL is still backwards compatible but all the core domains have been updated to support this new logic. By having the domain support the spell, instead of spell supporting domain, it allows "new" and custom domains to be entered into d20 much easier.

In addition its possible to support via scripts now a Variant Domain idea where a domain provides a different spell at level 1, 4 and 6. Its allot more flexible.

From the FAQ:
How domain spells are linked to domains has changed but the old way will continue to work. The old way was to link a spell to a domain which made it hard to add new custom domains because it required the spell to be changed. Now to make things easier you define which spell is associated to a domain on the "Class->Cleric Domain" tab instead using the new button called "Domain Spells".

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old October 7th, 2017, 12:17 PM
Regarding the domain spells, the big change is that we no longer assign spells to a spell class associated with domains. Instead, we select the appropriate spells in the domain itself. This assigns a tag which then allows the selection of those spells.

Ninja'd
Sendric is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 7th, 2017, 12:20 PM
I updated my post (UPDATE) that indicates the real issue. It only occurs on replaced domains.
Kendall-DM is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old October 8th, 2017, 12:21 PM
One other thing I noticed last night while running my game besides the replaced Domains missing spells.

The new spell features (adding the Area of Effect, Effect, Target) does not seem to appear on the spells that have already been selected by a hero. That is, it still shows the popup with the spell without these added to the spell stats. I was only able to get them to load the new statistics into the description by reloading the spells in the spell list. So preexisting heroes with spells in portfolios would have to have all their spells re-assigned to display the new descriptions in the spell popup.
Kendall-DM is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 8th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Quote:
UPDATE: Nevermind, I found the issue. If there is a Replace Thing Id on a Domain, it isn't allowing for selection of spells from that originating domain. They have to be added to the new replacement, since those don't appear to be moving down (though the pre-existing spells don't seem to be affected on the replaced Domain).
To be clear the old way still works was meant in reference to 100% custom made domains and spells. You can still mark a spell to be associated with a domain if you wish.

But the CORE domains have been designed to reference the spells and the spells reference to the domains was removed.

Honestly I often forget about Replace Thing ID as I stopped using it because it just causes issue after issue. Much better to hide the LW version of things and make new. Or use scripts to modify the Pick directly.

If you have Replaced all the Core domains you will have to update them to reference the Spells. Or you will need to Replace Thing ID on all the Core Domain spells to reference the Domains again.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old October 8th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Quote:
The new spell features (adding the Area of Effect, Effect, Target) does not seem to appear on the spells that have already been selected by a hero. That is, it still shows the popup with the spell without these added to the spell stats. I was only able to get them to load the new statistics into the description by reloading the spells in the spell list. So preexisting heroes with spells in portfolios would have to have all their spells re-assigned to display the new descriptions in the spell popup.
Yep this is working exactly as designed. The old spells are marked with Helper.Obsolete and while they can NOT be added to characters anymore they will continue to appear for old characters.

As you build new characters you will get the new spells. Otherwise correct you need to remove the "old" obsolete spell and add it again to the character. In doing so the "new" fully implemented spells will be added to the character.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote