Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Merion

Old February 17th, 2017, 05:05 AM
When showing pictures in player view, there's also a header shown above the picture with the name I gave it in the topic. This is no big issue most of the time, but sometimes this spoils information I don't want to players to have yet. Like the name of a monster or NPC.

Now I could just use names that don't reveal anything, but I do not want to have 5 different objects called "Portrait" in the content shown pane to the right.

I searched for the option to hide the headers but cannot find it. Can anyone please point me to it?
Merion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 17th, 2017, 11:57 PM
As far as I know, that is not possible now.

However, an option to hide the heading individually for each window shown in Player View would be an elegant solution.

Perhaps by simply right clicking the item in the right pane and select "Show/Hide window title" - and a default setting in the Player View settings whether the window title should be on or off by default.

In this way the GM can see all the titles in the right pane and the players will only see what the GM allows them to see.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old February 19th, 2017, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
As far as I know, that is not possible now.
Colour me surprised! Am I really the only one with this problem?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
... a default setting in the Player View settings whether the window title should be on or off by default.
This is excatly where I was looking for it and was a little surprised when it wasn't there.

Actually this was something my players pointed out to me:
"You know there's 'Demon - Hezrou' above the picture there, right? It's awkward that I now know to pull out the cold steel sword and have to act like I don't. You surely can switch that off, don't you?"
I purposely choose not to use the picture from the monster manual most times, not only because I feel the Pathfinder look is often too cartoony for my setting but also not to tip my players of.
Even though we are playing a game of fantasy and the players can, of course, ignore it, but it adds to the immersion if they really only have a vague idea what this might be.
Merion is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 19th, 2017, 02:23 PM
I brought something like this up a while back and Rob made clear that the solution was to assign the topic a base name you don't mind showing the players and a true name that was the "correct name."

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old February 19th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Well, that works for whole topics, but my main problem are pictures and maps. And afaik you can't have different names for pictures.

Also the name in the header matches the one in the "shown content" pane to the right. If I have several NPC portraits there, it can be a hassle to find out which picture named "portrait" is the NPC I want to show right now.
Merion is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 19th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
Colour me surprised! Am I really the only one with this problem?!
No, you most certainly are not.

It irks me as well.

I have resorted to just have "Portrait" as name with all the inconveniences it gives.

I am pretty sure it is somewhere on the to-do list.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old February 21st, 2017, 06:48 AM
Maybe some moderator can move this thread into the feature request area?

Because I most definetely request this feature
Merion is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 21st, 2017, 02:56 PM
I whole-heartedly agree :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Vargr is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Buzzin69

Old February 21st, 2017, 03:36 PM
One solution for the time being is what I do. I will position the window with the window at the top of the screen so the title is actually "offscreen". On the players view they only see the "beast".
Buzzin69 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2017, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I brought something like this up a while back and Rob made clear that the solution was to assign the topic a base name you don't mind showing the players and a true name that was the "correct name."
The TOPIC name is completely unrelated to this, so there is no "true name" involved. It sounds like there was a different situation where I said that and that is being inadvertently confused with this one.

The name shown within Player View is the name assigned to the SNIPPET within the topic, which can be readily controlled and edited as needed.

[EDIT: This subject may have come up regarding the display of the text snippets of the topic, in which case the "true name" would make sense as the solution. So that may be what you're referencing to. With pictures and maps, the name is directly on the snippet.]

I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will point it out to me if I am, but I don't remember this "gotcha" being pointed out to me previously. Having the ability to simply "hide" the name, or just replace it with something like "Unidentified", would not be difficult to do - or so I believe, not being familiar with the code where this would be changed. I'll put that on the todo list and see if we can get that added relatively soon.

Last edited by rob; February 21st, 2017 at 06:38 PM.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote