Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

driZzt

Old October 23rd, 2016, 03:33 AM
I'm not sure whether this is the right place to bring forward my case but I wanna do this in addition to my support email, hoping somone would be able to solve this fast.

So here we go
:

I recently deleted all Data from my Desktop PC and made a clean installation of Windows 10.
After reinstalling only the necessary stuff like java (need this for maptool) I reinstalled Realm Works too.

I logged in with my account and tried to sync my realm with the cloud.

I got this error message:
'Sync failed due to a communications fault. Check your network connections and try again.'

I both disabled any Antivirus or Firewall I was running (currently Avira and Windows Firewall), but I get the same error message.

I might have to say: before I used Windows 10 I used Windows 7 to sync my realms if this is of any importance.

Please help!

Thx in advance!!!
driZzt is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 23rd, 2016, 03:48 AM
I don't have direct help, but I just checked from my RW and the server seemed to take longer than usual to check all my realms (which were already up-to-date).
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:42 AM
First make darn sure you put in a support ticket, that will get you faster support then a post here.

Second, I have only ever had this error in two situations.

1 - Network connectivity issues. Goes with out saying but just because you can browse the web doesn't mean you have solid connectivity. Double check all windows networking settings, and unless you are using it, disable TCPIPv6, I am betting big you are using v4.

2 - One time oddness. Remember between you and the RW Cloud is one long highway with an uncountable number of devices, starting with your network card and ending with the network card in the server (not to mention beyond that). Always try again, worst I had to wait a day, seems there was some network issues between me and RW Cloud. Usually a simple one time retry is all that is needed, but next day maybe in order.

Other than web, if you have any other tools/programs that use the web, Steam cloud save games are a good example, try them. See if you get any issues.

Test Speednet.org make sure you get good ping and speed times based on your service. High ping rates are a key indicator there is an issue between you and the rest of the internet.

Reboot your modem and/or router. then reboot your PC and get a fresh connection. Routers lose their minds over time, routing tables and buffers (store and forward) get corrupted, kind of like a OS memory leak. You will be amazed how this simple few minute process can bring back internet performance.

Good luck!

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old October 23rd, 2016, 03:03 PM
Maybe you can try to sync your realms one by one? (If that applies within your RW installation)?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old October 25th, 2016, 07:41 AM
By coincidence, ten days ago I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 too. I don't remember any particular issue that arose with RW. Since I had to reinstall everything, I did have other issues of course but the only thing remotely similar was having to get a Herolab approval put through. It seems to me I may have done a sync from my laptop first and then a new one to the desktop data drive.

I only mention this because while I'm sure there are regular re-installations of Windows 10, I can't imagine they happen on a daily basis.
Gord is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 25th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Addresses for reporting issues are in my signature below.

Report RealmWorks bugs here
Report Pathfinder HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab Community Pack bugs here
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
driZzt

Old October 25th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Hey there, just wanted to tell you that Dave solved this for me.

Quote:
It looks like an item that was supposed to have been deleted didn't and so the server was trying to find a related item that had been deleted and was failing.
So if you come across this problem ask the support, might be the same as it was for me.

Thx anyway for your help!

Last edited by driZzt; October 25th, 2016 at 01:37 PM.
driZzt is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 25th, 2016, 04:13 PM
LWD support has yet to not help fix every issue I have run into with regards to RW and HL.

Glad it got resolved.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old October 25th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Yes, the LWD support people are excellent solving all those problems. Just imagine you'd have to know that "communication fault" means "a file was not deleted that should have been" and other interesting error messages of similar semantical perfection. I personally would get mad at the developers. But the LWD supporters are used to that and can handle it. Great job.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old October 26th, 2016, 03:03 AM
I agree that the LWD team is great and don't want this post to be taken as a knock on them. They have helped me with great customer service. However, the lack of stability paired with complete loss of access when problems do arise is my number one concern with RW. What if such an error was to occur on game day? I would now have lost all access to my realm and probably have to cancel a game. This actually happened once and my players have never forgotten it. It's been over a year and it still gets mentioned. I now back-up the RW file just prior to games so I can get things back if the worst happens. I would recommend this to people having issues. RW stability has improved a lot, for me, over the last few updates though and I have never had another crash that effects my game. Unfortunately, one bad experience like that take huge amounts of good ones to off-set emotionally. It's like getting a zero in school. A zero has a far greater negative impact on your grade than the positive impact of a 100%.

On hot key, I think there are more than people know about. It would be good if there was a one page list of all the various hot keys in RW. I feel like new people coming in, and even a few of us vets, could benefit from an easy to access list. If such a list exists please chime in. We know people don't tend to read the manuals and they are pretty outdated at this point anyway. I use ctrl+shidt+~ all the time and I bet some people don't even know it exists. RW has some great hot keys, but they may need to get some more visibility.
meek75 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote