Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

JoeOfMars

Old May 2nd, 2016, 04:57 PM
Hi all,
My players and I are trying to figure out how to separate total treasure/money the character owns versus how much he wants to carry.

So if he gained 10,000 GPs, and entered that into his Journal, it would show he was Heavily Encumbered (yes we are using encumbrance). So lets say he stores it in a chest and leaves the chest at home (or Dropped to ground). But he wants to show that he carries around 1000 GPs with him, actually on him. Is there a way to do that without creating a separate custom treasure?

Thanks!
Joe
JoeOfMars is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old May 2nd, 2016, 06:42 PM
The Pathfinder Pack adds coins that can be purchased as Gear, which lets you convert your Journal cash into a form that can be manipulated. On the other hand, you then have to sell the coins in order to buy things with them.

There's also side-stepping the issues by using the Optional Rule "No coin weight" under Configure Hero.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JoeOfMars

Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:54 AM
We don't want to side-step the issue. We want to use encumbrance. But there's a difference in total gold you have, say, back at your castle, and the new gold you just found and how much of it you can carry (hey, you might have to make several trips back and forth to bring it all home and there may be a planned or random encounter).
JoeOfMars is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Togainu

Old May 3rd, 2016, 06:57 AM
When you add an item you can choose to add a custom valuable. Just buy the valuable for the amount you aren't carrying with you and give it weight 0 to indicate that you don't have it with you. And give it a clear name to know it is your treasure at home.

This is currently the only way to do it and also the easiest in all honesty.

Last edited by Togainu; May 3rd, 2016 at 06:59 AM.
Togainu is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOfMars View Post
We don't want to side-step the issue. We want to use encumbrance. But there's a difference in total gold you have, say, back at your castle, and the new gold you just found and how much of it you can carry (hey, you might have to make several trips back and forth to bring it all home and there may be a planned or random encounter).
That sort of thing is why the "Gold Piece", "Silver Piece", etc. gear items that ShadowChemosh mentioned were added to the packs.

In the core HL package, your money is tracked as a total and there's no way to say "X of it is here and Y of it is there", other than the method Togainu mentioned (purchase a custom valuable item, name it "Gold in Castle" or whatever, and leave it contained in a custom location named "Castle").

My players often did things like "sew 6 gp into the hem of my cloak" and so on.. so I needed a mechanism like the Gold Piece and Silver Piece gear items to track that. The gear items also helped to easily transfer X gp from character A to character B in the same portfolio.
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
JoeOfMars

Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:05 PM
So, Silveras, you're saying there may be a "pack" I don't have that allows this?
Togainu: yeah, we're figuring that's how we'll have to handle it, but it still begs the question, if your money is "Dropped to Ground" and you add 1000GP to it, why is that new money not carried, but instead is just added to Dropped to ground (or what ever container you create for it)?
JoeOfMars is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:27 PM
Quote:
So, Silveras, you're saying there may be a "pack" I don't have that allows this?
Togainu: yeah, we're figuring that's how we'll have to handle it, but it still begs the question, if your money is "Dropped to Ground" and you add 1000GP to it, why is that new money not carried, but instead is just added to Dropped to ground (or what ever container you create for it)?
The Community-created Community packs, not the official releases from LoneWolf, have the "Gold Piece", "Silver Piece", etc. gear items in them. I believe it is the "ShadowChemosh's Equipment" source under the community pack that has these.

Core HeroLab handles all of your money in one place... if you put it into any container (Dropped to Ground or anything else), ALL your money (and its encumbrance) is recorded there -- regardless of when you added it. It is ONLY tracking your current net worth. Basic HeroLab does not support separating your money in any way, other than "buying" dummy valuable items to represent "chunks" of it. That's a large part of what inspired the creation of the community "Gold Piece", etc., gear items.
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
JoeOfMars

Old May 4th, 2016, 09:21 AM
THanks. I'll be looking for that Community Pack (or just doing the same thing on my own).
JoeOfMars is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 4th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Quote:
THanks. I'll be looking for that Community Pack (or just doing the same thing on my own).
Community Pathfinder Pack setup. LOTS of other good stuff is in that Pack.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ideapod

Old March 17th, 2019, 03:25 AM
add a horse for your character in your portfolio. Add a chest to your list of gear. add things into the chest. then give the chest to your horse.
ideapod is offline   #10 Reply With Quote