Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Derfel

Old March 21st, 2015, 12:23 PM
Hello,

I am going to write a review for Realm Works next week but it seems the learning curve is steep. I don't know how to use the program to full potential but so far I am very impressed with what I've seen.

The problem is that, I am afraid to create my own content before I see how RW handles a complex world. I feel like I don't know where to start.

Could anyone invite me to a complex realm temporarily, so I can see the end result before I try it out myself?
Derfel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old March 21st, 2015, 02:51 PM
Derfel,

Do you already have a players license? This isn't an invitation, as I've barely pasted more than a couple paragraphs into my RW, but others have some seriously fleshed out worlds.

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 21st, 2015, 08:42 PM
Back in November/December, just after buying the program I discussed with some other forum members setting up a Web-meeting to show how we were using RW and get and share feedback. It never went anywhere and after I made progress on the learning curve and started using the program I focused on just creating content. I have a LONG way to go, but I have finally kicked off my campaign with my first session.

I would be happy to set up a Join.me session to show how I've been using it. That said, there are other members here who are *far* more experienced not only with RW but with being DMs and designing content. But if you want to see how someone a few months into building a fantasy world has been using it, I would be happy setup a Join.me session or a Google Hangout to show you and discuss. I'm on US Central time and evening weekdays would work best. I often have to collaborate with folks in Asian and Europe so I'm usually on-line until 2-3am.

Send me a PM if you are interested.
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
lfseeney

Old March 24th, 2015, 05:24 PM
I think access to more fleshed out RW Campaigns would be helpful to many folks to see how others are using it, what custom stuff they are adding and how they set things up.

Figure the arm chair lawyers will jump in and tell us it is illegal in some way soon though, if we find a way to make it see able.
lfseeney is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 24th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfseeney View Post
arm chair lawyers
What is this like your favorite term for everything?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old March 24th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfseeney View Post
I think access to more fleshed out RW Campaigns would be helpful to many folks to see how others are using it, what custom stuff they are adding and how they set things up.

Figure the arm chair lawyers will jump in and tell us it is illegal in some way soon though, if we find a way to make it see able.
Now you're just trolling.

Do you seriously not get that this is not "arm chair law"?

This is stuff that gets companies sued out of business every day.

Your dismissal of the single biggest legal issue that Lone Wolf has to deal with as "arm chair law" must be quite the relief for Rob and the crew.

"Hey guys, we can stop spending all that money on lawyers! We won't get destroyed in court if we let people share copyrighted material! lfseeney says so!"...
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Now you're just trolling.

Do you seriously not get that this is not "arm chair law"?

This is stuff that gets companies sued out of business every day.

Your dismissal of the single biggest legal issue that Lone Wolf has to deal with as "arm chair law" must be quite the relief for Rob and the crew.

"Hey guys, we can stop spending all that money on lawyers! We won't get destroyed in court if we let people share copyrighted material! lfseeney says so!"...
Surely the solution is for some kind soul to share something original?

I like Derfel would really like to see what some of the more accomplished users are doing, and how it compares to how i put stuff into RW, and i doubt we are the only two...
stuartwaring is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old March 25th, 2015, 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartwaring View Post
Surely the solution is for some kind soul to share something original?
Absolutely.

The solution certainly isn't just sharing something that violates IP because we all just do it anyway.
MaxSupernova is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 25th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Realm Works is an elephant. You can't swallow it whole; you have to eat it one bite at a time. Each of us has different approaches. And we likely use different approaches for different types of content. Some folks will detail each and every entry while others will create a bunch of general entries and fill in details as necessary. Regardless of your approach, RW takes time and patience.... Time and patience....

For my most recent sandbox campaign for which I still haven't played a session, I started entering the Lost Lands setting. First came geography with very little detail. Then came major towns. I added maps and keyed them. Then major NPC's. And I got sidetracked with monsters and deities for a while.... With the basics in place, I started revisiting some of the categories to flesh them out with history and encounter tables and background info. And I started writing up HeroLab portfolios for the major NPC's.

In parallel, I also started entering regional information in the areas that players would likely spend most of their time: wilderness encounters, dungeon information, a keep, a village.... And I started fleshing out Bard's Gate which is a major city with 250+ NPCs and a bazillion locations. I quickly decided that bit players need only be mentioned in their shop or dungeon locations but I also created a master index of all names so I can track them down easily later.

I'm maybe halfway through with what I had envisioned and Frog God Games keeps threatening to release a Gazeteer which I'll want to add. And I can't even count how many hours I've invested or how many times I've changed my mind on how to approach this beast. But watching the interlinkages multiply to create a complex web of locations, relationships and interdependencies has been magical.
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old March 25th, 2015, 12:56 PM
That sounds like exactly the kind of thing i would like to see (presuming the is no copyrighted material) - again, mostly so i can compare how i use RW, and pick up any ideas for building my own realms.
stuartwaring is offline   #10 Reply With Quote