Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

zarlor

Old March 14th, 2013, 01:59 PM
So does anyone know how the Minion mechanic works? I'd like to have the "Behold A Pale Horse..." Edge from Deadlands add a full on NPC creature I've created for that purpose. I can add the UniqueID of the creature I created to the Minion box, and that does seem add an NPC to the character, and it gives it the name of the Edge (which is fine, as you can change it) but the NPC itself is just base, un-leveled Human character, none of the state from the creature nor does it set itself to even be a creature. Anyone have some ideas on how it's supposed to work?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old March 14th, 2013, 02:19 PM
I have been trying to figure that out myself with no luck. It would be nice to be able to do that.
jbearwillis is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Check out Familiar...

Specifically, edgFamilar under Edges and the thing it bootastraps, mscFamilar under Ally. Here's an example that would add a horse...

Code:
  <thing id="edgGetHors" name="Gimme a Horse"
    description="Gimme a Horse!"
    compset="Edge"
    uniqueness="unique">
    <tag group="MinRank" tag="0"/>
    <tag group="EdgeType" tag="Background"/>
    <bootstrap thing="mscHorse">
      <containerreq phase="Initialize" priority="1000">!hero#thingid.mscHorse</containerreq>
      </bootstrap>
    </thing>

<thing
    id="mscHorse"
    name="Horse"
    compset="Ally">

<!-- Attach a minion through this pick that represents an familiar -->
    <minion
      id="familiar"
      isinherit="no">

<!-- Allies cannot themselves have allies, so we hide the corresponding tab -->
      <tag group="HideTab" tag="allies"/>
      <tag group="MinionType" tag="Creature"/>
      </minion>
    </thing>
The only catch is, you have to click over to the Ally and choose it's Creature Type. This is a user-level selection and I'd have to look into how to force it.
CapedCrusader is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Yeah, that's the problem I was running into, since it wouldn't set itself to being a creature our of the gate. If you find a way to force it I'd love to hear about it!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:32 AM
BTW, I'm not really sure why that Familiar edge Bootstrapped, well, whatever an "msc" object is supposed to be (Miscellaneous?) but it seems to work fine if I just add it directly as a Minion. Setting a Tag for MinionType Creature was what it needed to at least set it to being a creature. So, if I can't get it to select the Creature Type in the program at least I can set up a text note in the Edge telling the player how to do that, which should work fine.

I have tried setting a Tag for Creature.creDLPalHo (the creature type for Pale Horse) but that doesn't seem to do anything that I can tell, if that makes any difference.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 21st, 2013, 02:44 PM
I'd request fixed-race minions as an enhancement you'd like to see.

Fixed-race minions are something that Hero Lab can handle (see the Vehicles tab in Shadowrun or the Other tab in Pathfinder), but it looks like the Savage Worlds files haven't been set up to support them.

What that will allow is that you can add a bootstrap of the race to the <minion> entry - currently, you can add that bootstrap, but it will generate lots of errors, and it'll still offer you a choice of races along the top (which allows you to get to the unexpected state of having two races on the same character, which could have all sorts of unforseen consequences).
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 21st, 2013, 03:09 PM
The mscFamilar item that the familiar edge bootstrapped is what shows up on the Ally tab. if you just add the minion directly to the edge (or whatever else is granting this minion), it will work properly, but you won't have that link between the two on the Allies tab.

Looks like as part of this request, you should request that an "Ally Helper" tab (compset="Ally") be added to the editor, so that you have a place to create new items like that mscFamiliar.
Mathias is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 21st, 2013, 03:16 PM
We're troublemakers like that. Always asking for stuff we apparently don't have yet. Thanks for the advice! Good to know we're not fully set to do this automatically yet.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Ah, something to add to the list for the next update...
CapedCrusader is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2013, 07:59 AM
CapedCrusader, do you have access to the Shadowrun files, so you can see how Shadowrun's fixed-race minions are built, or do you need me to copy some of the relevant code, so that you don't need to re-invent the wheel?
Mathias is online now   #10 Reply With Quote