Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

mirtos

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:52 PM
So here's my question. My group often shares books. Perfectly legal. Im wondering if there i a legal way for us to do the same with licenses.

In looking at switching to Pathfinder, Im looking at the data sets we would want, and it $159.00. Ok, as the DM I can sport that, but id also like to have the players have the abilities to have it on their laptops. We have 6 players. So thats a total of $1113.00 for the group of 7 (6 players +1 DM) if we have to each buy the licenses.

Does anyone know?
mirtos is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
LonePaladin

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:42 PM
The initial purchase covers installing HL on two computers; you can get two extra licenses for $10 each.

link
LonePaladin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Unseelie

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
So here's my question. My group often shares books. Perfectly legal. Im wondering if there i a legal way for us to do the same with licenses.

In looking at switching to Pathfinder, Im looking at the data sets we would want, and it $159.00. Ok, as the DM I can sport that, but id also like to have the players have the abilities to have it on their laptops. We have 6 players. So thats a total of $1113.00 for the group of 7 (6 players +1 DM) if we have to each buy the licenses.

Does anyone know?
Pretty sure that the end user license forbids what you're trying to do. I've raised this before and was told it wasn't allowed, so I've stopped using add on data sets and only use the core books. The alternative is duplicating the items you need by hand into your own data files, or making your players code the items needed for their characters... and then fighting with duped things and replace thing issues.
Unseelie is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2013, 12:00 AM
Here's how we think about it. Your group is sharing books, which is perfectly acceptable. The key detail here is that there is only one copy of a book, so only one of you can use the book at any given time. You need to pass it around the table. Now extend that concept to a Hero Lab license. If you put it on one laptop, you can pass the laptop around just like a book. However, if you put the same license on multiple computers, then everyone in the group can share the same copy at the same time. That's no longer anything close to sharing a book. It's now equivalent to making complete copies of the book and passing them out to everyone. Most reasonable people would consider that an inappropriate activity, and we do as well.

The Hero Lab license is setup along these lines. However, we go well beyond the limits of a single book. We provide a free secondary license to run the product on a second computer, so you effectively get two books for the price of one. You're also able to purchase up to two additional secondary licenses for only $10 apiece. So you can essentially buy two extra full copies of all the books for $10 apiece. That's a lot more generous and flexible than managing a single book. However, there is still the limitation that you can't just give the product away to others. We consider that to be reasonable.

In your situation, you might consider getting an old used laptop and putting a secondary license on it. Then you can pass that around amongst your players, along with your own laptop. That's the equivalent of having two sets of all the books available at the table for sharing, and it's all in keeping with the license.

Hope this make sense!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Unseelie

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:12 AM
Also, to be fair... really it's only the GM that needs to have all of the books. For the most part, the players can get by with the Core Books, plus the APG, UC or UM depending on what they're playing. There's a damn good argument for everyone having UE as well.

The books that cause me the most work due to my players not having them are UE and UM (but that's just my Wizard).
Unseelie is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
Thats true. so my math is off, the "player" books add up to about $64.00 bucks. might be more reasonable. I still think providing some way of having the DM have all the books, controlling the portfolio, but having a "player view" (in essence a limited version but without the ability to add spells, feats, etc) would be useful, and you could probably get extra sales in. This would allow portfolios created to load succesfully even if the person didnt have the books, but wouldnt allow them to do more. This would be on par with a player creating a character sheet based on a book they dont own but the DM does.

You might even get more sales out of it.

The idea of passing a laptop around only works if the people are round to pass it around. Im not suggesting giving away content for free, but it might make sense to consider group licenses. (with one license being a master, and all others being a slave, to talk computing terms). To ensure that people didnt use this to do things they shouldnt, when the master license wasnt "running" you could have the child licenses not show things they dont own.

This way a group like me could pay $200 bucks for the master (or whatever the total is) for when things need to be looked up, and allow basic use of the software when the master license isnt running (for 20/license). I know this is substantially different from the way you currently do licensing, but I could see many groups wanting to do something like this. In my groups case, assuming my master license would cost 200.00 (estimate) and every child license would get basic core on their own, and could access my license when running the game, that would be $320.00 to Lone Wolf.

Right now, I'd have to consider doing one of the following:

1. Purchasing everythign myself, and do what i currently do, which is create PDFs and provide them for the players. In which case, ill end up paying around $200.00

2. Going with core only, and getting players to install hero lab (better for the group, as long as we are ok with less content), but this would net LoneWolf less money (if every computer had it installed, it would be a total of $140.00

Maybe im alone in this, but I dont think I am.
mirtos is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 21st, 2013, 10:21 AM
Quote:
As your asking I am going to say I am not in agreement with you. Or maybe I am more of a Jerk to my players.

I would never ever dream about buying my players Dice, Books, Pdfs, food, or anything else. I for sure would not buy them a license for their Anti-virus software, their latest phone app, or MS office. So why would I buy them a license for their hobby?

Like I said I maybe more of a jerk but I even now require HL software for characters at my game table. No exception to this rule. If someone really couldn't buy HL I have them show up early and enter their character into my laptop HL. If they have it pre-done on paper this takes just minutes. Then boom I have it for the game.

Do DMs really buy their players stuff for them on top of hosting the game and running the game?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 21st, 2013, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
As your asking I am going to say I am not in agreement with you. Or maybe I am more of a Jerk to my players.

I would never ever dream about buying my players Dice, Books, Pdfs, food, or anything else. I for sure would not buy them a license for their Anti-virus software, their latest phone app, or MS office. So why would I buy them a license for their hobby?

Like I said I maybe more of a jerk but I even now require HL software for characters at my game table. No exception to this rule. If someone really couldn't buy HL I have them show up early and enter their character into my laptop HL. If they have it pre-done on paper this takes just minutes. Then boom I have it for the game.

Do DMs really buy their players stuff for them on top of hosting the game and running the game?
Actually, you miss the point entirely. I was never saying i would buy my players hero lab. I was saying that for the gaming group to use it as a whole what it would end up costing the group, and it basically being unfeasable. As for the idea of getting people to show up, that might depend on schedules, but thats also not feasable. Especially in this day and age, many gaming groups are split across states. I know I have local people and people who "tele-game" for lack of a better term. I also know Im not the only person who runs a game like this. There are advantages in game to having everyone run a copy of the software, but it also requires everyone being able to afford it. And this is why i brought up the client/server license (master/child).
mirtos is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Umarian

Old February 21st, 2013, 10:53 AM
Quote:
I would have to disagree also. Nothing says that you have to buy every package at one time. Whether you are the GM or a player, if you are not using material from UM, you don't need that license at that moment in time.

So saying that they have to buy every book at the time that they get HL is not really accurate. Like Shadow says, as a GM you aren't expected to buy the physical book for your players, so why should you buy the license for them?

In my games I require por files from my players. Some of them have bought the product for their own use, others have someone with the program build their characters for them and use the pdf version, or I have them give me their characters and I enter it into my HL and they play off paper. It works just fine. It would be easier if they all had HL, but I can't, and won't, buy the licenses for them.
Umarian is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old February 21st, 2013, 11:01 AM
When i said "maybe im alone in this, but i dont think i am", i never meant to imply that i would be buying things for players, I was talking about total costs. What I meant to say was that if I wanted to use the software as a group thing (and part of the reason im thinking about this is because of how well its going to integrate into realms works) and ensuring we all have the same data available to us at all times (again, we're not sitting around the same table), so that I think im going to find myself deciding between more content or us all having the same software. And when I said i dont think im alone in this, I meant this type of thinking. I cant speak for Unseelie, but Unseelie implies thats the reason they no longer use the core only. "tabletop" gaming is changing, and I think that the idea of having master/client is actually something that LoneWolf could consider and would potentially bring in even more income.

All this being said, dont take this as a complaing against hero lab. Ive been using it for i guess two years now, and love it.

Last edited by mirtos; February 21st, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
mirtos is offline   #10 Reply With Quote