Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Grimmshade

Old May 15th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Making a WW2 and Day After Ragnarok data set.
DAR awards a free level of either Shooting or Fighting to USA characters. How would I do this? When I try to add a free level of fighting, it takes away one of the initial Skill Points. When I try to give an extra skill point (with the +1 skill point reward) it charges it to the Hindrances.

Last edited by Grimmshade; May 16th, 2011 at 04:15 AM.
Grimmshade is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:16 PM
When implementing something via the Editor, the best place to start is always with an existing mechanism that already does something similar. So let's start with the Berserk edge, which adds +2 to Fighting (among other things).

Go to the Edge tab in the Editor and create a new edge as a COPY of Berserk. Take a look at the Eval Script and you'll see the line below, which adds +2 to the Fighting skill and attributes it to the "Berserk" edge.
Code:
perform #traitroll[skFighting,+,2,"Berserk"]
Also take note of the timing of the Eval Script, since you'll generally want to use the same timing for similar effects of your own. In this case, it's Pre-Traits/5000.

For the new thing you're adding for your custom dataset, you'll need to add an Eval Script with the same timing as above and a similar line of code. In your case, you'll want to change the "2" to a "1" and attribute the bonus to "USA" or something.

Hmmm. After re-reading your post right now, I may be misunderstanding what you're trying to accomplish, but I'm not sure. If you actually want to apply a +1 to the die type, then take a look at the "Undead" racial ability as an example (there are numerous others as well). In this case, "traitadjust" is used instead of "traitroll", but everything else is the same. So if you want to increase the die type, just use "traitadjust" instead and you should be good to go.

The one thing that isn't handled above is that neither of these methods automatically confers the Fighting skill to the character. The skill still needs to be added by the user. If the skill should be automatically conferred, then you'll need to bootstrap the skill to the character. This is accomplished via the Editor by clicking on the Bootstraps button and then automatically adding the "skFighting" skill to the character whenever the ability that gives the bonus is selected.

Hope this helps...
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM
One additional note. If you aren't already doing so, you might consider using the "Faction" mechanism for Savage Worlds to implement your datasets. You'll find details about how to use the mechanism in the thread below:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...hlight=faction
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Grimmshade

Old May 16th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Okay, I have everything figured out now except for replacing the Skill Point that Hero Lab spends on the USA's "free" Fighting skill.

How would I add 1 extra "free" skill point at start of character creation?
Grimmshade is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 16th, 2011, 01:32 PM
There is an example of this already in the Savage Worlds data files, so that would be the place to look. Unfortunately, the example isn't available via the Editor, so you'll need to look at the actual source files. The example can be seen on the Personal tab, as a Permanent Adjustment.

In the source files, the place to look is the file "thing_adjustment.dat". If you scroll down to line 245, you'll find the "Skill Points Adjustment". This adjustment has a single Eval Script that you can essentially duplicate to grant the +1 skill point. The script has a timing of Setup/8000, which you can use for your own script. And the one line of code that you need is shown below:

Code:
#resmax[resSkill] += field[adjUser].value
All you need to do is replace the adjustment with a fixed value of one, which yields the following line of code:

Code:
#resmax[resSkill] += 1
That should be all you need to do.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Grimmshade

Old May 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM
That did it! Thanks for all your help Rob! (I'm sure I will need more...)
Grimmshade is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Beldar1215

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmshade View Post
Making a WW2 and Day After Ragnarok data set.
Grimmshade, would you be willing to share your data files with other users? I'm going to be running a DoR game at an upcoming convention and would love to be able to use Hero Lab for the characters.

Beldar

Beldar1215
Rocky Mountain Savages
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/RMSavages/
Beldar1215 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote