Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Vargr

Old August 29th, 2015, 01:04 AM
It is possible to make relationships in RW. You can for instance make a relation that shows, that one NPC is the child of another NPC.

This works pretty well but is it possible to add additional relationship qualifiers?

I want to add "sibling" to the "Family relation to".

We already have "parent/child". I know I can use "Other family of", but...

Can it be done (adding a new relationship qualifier)?

Oh, and what is the difference between "child" and "Offspring off"?

(My Merriam-Webster tells me, that "offspring" means "a person's child".)

When I figure out how to do this I probably want to be able to add new "relationships" as well

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old August 29th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Look at the bottom of the list under Tags on the Manage tab.

Child vs. Offspring.. it may come down to how you choose to use them.. one for legitimate children and the other for illegitimate?

Last edited by Silveras; August 29th, 2015 at 09:38 AM.
Silveras is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old August 29th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Child vs. Offspring.. it may come down to how you choose to use them.. one for legitimate children and the other for illegitimate?
Or actual biological children versus something like a vampire's spawn...
JustinThomason is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old August 29th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Well, hadn't thought of it that way - makes sense then.

Thanks.

Now, how to add a new relation qualifier?

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old August 29th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Look at the bottom of the list under Tags on the Manage tab.
Apparently I overlooked this the first time around.

True, you can add a relation modifier to "Comprises or Encompasses" but not to any of the others.

Unless I am missing the obvious (it has happened before...).

Of course, I could just have my siblings there (under "Comprises or Encompasses") but that is not where they ought to be.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Vargr is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 29th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Hmm...my first thought was that, given that the opposite icon is "Ancestor of", they may have meant it as a catch-all for a more distant relationship than direct parent/child. (Great-great-great-grandpa Mike, say.) But I was remembering it wrong; it's "Immediate Ancestor of". So bah.

The Reference Guide (p. 45) indicates they're the same as well.

Last edited by Parody; August 29th, 2015 at 12:30 PM.
Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 29th, 2015, 01:00 PM
There are many games where blood LINEAGE is very important. So "offspring" is distinct from abopted/bastard/etc to enable that difference to be tracked. For games where lineage is a non-factor, there's no practical difference between the two.

IIRC, you can only extend the Comprises/Encompasses and General relationship groupings.

A sibling is technically someone who shares a common parent or ancestor. So explicitly stating that relationship falls under the general classification of "other family".

The parent/child, ancestor/offspring, and union relationships form the core of modeling a family tree. At this point, we've got the ability to model the family through the data, but we still need to add a bunch of features to use that data and visualize it all for the user in a clean way. That's still on the todo list.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old August 29th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Thank you for all the input.

At least now I know that I am not overlooking some possibility to add a new relation qualifier (except under "Comprises or Encompasses"), so I won't spend any more time looking for that. :-)

I will stick with Family relationship to / Other Family of for now. That works well enough.

It sounds like you, Rob, are talking about some sort of pedigree presented in a graphical interface - some time in the far future. If I understood that part right (probably reading too much into it), it sounds very interesting!

But first: Calendars!

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Last edited by Vargr; August 29th, 2015 at 01:20 PM.
Vargr is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
basselope

Old September 26th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Just want to chime in with a +1 for the addition of a Sibling option in family relationships.
basselope is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 26th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Rather than ask for piecemeal modification, I would just like the ability to customize and setup relationships as I see fit. I married into a Chinese family, have lived in Taiwan and had to get added to a "household record" there, and have learned a fair bit of the language. In Chinese, especially in more formal usages, there are completely different terms for relatives on the paternal versus maternal sides. And, in Taiwan at least, it is not just a matter of culture, but of legal import as well. It determines whose household record you go on, which in term is used to determine local residency for voting, etc.

Just like some of us go a bit crazy with our calendars and politics in our game worlds, I can just imagine the kinds of fun we could get into with relationships. What would happen with, say, an intelligent race of plants who reproduce based on some intermediary pollinators? Or an advanced species that gave up random sexual production for cloning based on traits some governing body ensures perpetuation of? Hive colonies with only one breeding "queen"? And there are guaranteed to be many more far out there examples.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #10 Reply With Quote