Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

HippyCraig

Old June 13th, 2017, 06:15 AM
So is there anymore information about this other than a one line statement in the newsletter?
HippyCraig is offline   #1
Togainu

Old June 13th, 2017, 06:30 AM
It is actually mentioned twice in the newsletter:

Hero Lab Online. There aren’t a lot of details right now, but keep an eye out for upcoming news about our plans to bring Hero Lab to all users!

Which doesn't give a lot of info on it and:

Lone Wolf is headed to Gen Con in August and we can’t wait to see you there! We hope to have some fun new items to share with you such as the Realm Works Content Market and our latest project, Hero Lab Online.

Which likely means "we will be tight lipped and hope to have something to show at that point". So no doubt you will be able to find any info on that now.
Togainu is offline   #2
daplunk

Old June 13th, 2017, 06:38 AM
It's been called Hero Lab online. . .

We kinda knew they were up to this already though right. I assumed they were doing something when they advertised for that Web Developer role a few months back.

Going to be really interesting to see what they do and how they do it. In it's current state Hero Lab benefits alot from not being an online tool but there's a few features I can think of that would absolutely be possible with a web version.

We've heard that the 'android users will hopefully rejoice' so that would be a significant benefit. My whole table would use HL if Android was an option.

I'm really hoping they bring the power of Hero Lab in line with the accessibility of other tools starting to hit the market.

DnDBeyond.com for example is looking to be a direct competitor that was showing an edge simply because it's sexy and well... they have a WOTC license. Hero Lab will need to jump a few leaps ahead from where it is now to stay competitive in the D&D market once they launch.

They still have the Pathfinder market well and truly in their pocket and one can assume they will lead the charge on Starfinder.

This to me says they understand that the market is shifting rapidly and they need to embrace change (most likely significant change) in order to stay competitive.

Personally I'm really curious to see what they do. They have two really solid products that we know now are both going online and it's going to be interesting to see what they do with both of them.

Like... imagine if you could create a monster in Realm Works and then not have to create it in Hero Lab. What if the abilities just mapped across and displayed in Hero Lab allowing you to create the monster in Realm Works, store your database of monsters in Realm Works and just sent them to Hero Lab for combat management.

#day_dreamin - but seriously... that would be cool.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3
HippyCraig

Old June 13th, 2017, 07:05 AM
I wasn't sure if the web developer was for web version of RW or not. I hope we get to keep the same functionality that we do with the client side being able to modify and create custom content for Hero Lab.

Maybe they will have a central place to upload such custom community content so it can easily be shared through the web.

Unless the client side will still be there and you can just upload your profile files to a cloud service they provide, Dropbox will no longer work with iOS the way LW is using it anymore. And maybe the apps garden walled apps will go away in favor of a web app.

Hope to learn more at GenCon! That means I will be stopping by the booth to ask a bazillion questions, just kidding, a few at least.
HippyCraig is offline   #4
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 13th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippyCraig View Post
I wasn't sure if the web developer was for web version of RW or not. I hope we get to keep the same functionality that we do with the client side being able to modify and create custom content for Hero Lab.

Maybe they will have a central place to upload such custom community content so it can easily be shared through the web.

Unless the client side will still be there and you can just upload your profile files to a cloud service they provide, Dropbox will no longer work with iOS the way LW is using it anymore. And maybe the apps garden walled apps will go away in favor of a web app.

Hope to learn more at GenCon! That means I will be stopping by the booth to ask a bazillion questions, just kidding, a few at least.
We look forward to seeing you at the booth and answering your bazillion/few questions.

And I promise when I have more in depth info, I'll create a thread about it here on the forums.
BJ is offline   #5
HippyCraig

Old June 13th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Thanks, you guy are always helpful and patient, especially at Con's as I know your booth is always busy!!

See you at GenCon!!!
HippyCraig is offline   #6
Exmortis

Old June 14th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Will this impact the already dreadfully late Ream Works features?

I do question yet a new product, when Hero Lab UI and features are woefully behind the times and Ream Works still to have delivered Content Market... How many years late?

Or is HLO slated to replace Hero Lab as we know it? That would be interesting, if we do not have to buy it all again for a new cooler interface.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #7
Farling

Old June 14th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Will this impact the already dreadfully late Ream Works features?
Several times LWD have said that the HL and RW development teams are completely independent.
Farling is offline   #8
daplunk

Old June 14th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Is HL == HLO though

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #9
Paragon

Old June 14th, 2017, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post

Or is HLO slated to replace Hero Lab as we know it? That would be interesting, if we do not have to buy it all again for a new cooler interface.
Some might find it interesting; I'd find it obnoxious to be dependent on an online connection to be able to use it effectively.
Paragon is offline   #10
Closed Thread