Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lord Kailas

Old February 7th, 2019, 05:47 AM
It was brought to my attention that this archetype requires the Nagaji race. I didn't think anything of it since it wasn't readily apparent by the description and herolab allowed me to pick it as an archetype for my human character. Thankfully the game hasn't started yet and I'm able to correct the issue, but this was an oversight I wanted to bring to your attention.

I did notice some other issues when building my character which since I'm posting I'll go ahead and mention.

The character is for wrath of the righteous and I picked the trait Touched by Divinity. Other then having me specify what god I've chosen for this trait it didn't have me select a domain. I was able to manually add the spell like ability this trait gives me but I was mildly surprised it didn't do this automatically. I suppose it hasn't been an issue for many people since it's specific to the wrath of the righteous campaign.

I am planning on multiclassing into a packlord hunter. Unfortunately, because this archetype implements companions differently (where you can independently level them) it broke some of my 1st level options. I could remove my existing animal companion and rebuild it using the multiple animal companion options that showed up, but my human trait "Eye for Talent" was no longer applying to any of my animal companions. Prior to adding the level of hunter a nice little dropdown was showing up for the animal companion allowing me to pick what stat it should be applied to.

Additionally, The abilities on my Giant Constrictor seemed off. The Mother's Fang Archetype specifies that other then being a large creature capable of serving as a mount it doesn't gain any other abilities for being a large creature until it hits 4th level, then it doesn't go up in size but it does gain all the other normal benefits it would get at that level. The constrictor it was giving me had constrict and 10 foot reach(things it normally wouldn't get until 4th level). Leveling it up to 4th level caused it to gain it's appropriate stats, but it's bite attack didn't upgrade from 1d3 to 1d4.

One final thing, which I did wonder about. I've looked through the rules and there is nothing that states that an animal companion can't have an advancement that is above a character's level. Some feats introduce such a limit (like boon companion), but the only natural limit that seems to exist is based on the companion's HD. I found no specific rule for Pathfinder, but there was a rule in 3.0 that stated that an animal companion's HD could never be higher then your character's HD+1 and in discussions I found there seemed to be agreement that pathfinder had a similar cap. This is why it's allowed to have 2 HD when a druid is 1st level as per the normal advancement. In herolab I noticed that even when I (legally) applied more levels to the animal companion then I had levels it would artificially cap the animal companion's progression to be equal to my character level. Even though I wasn't getting those levels from a source that places such a cap on my animal companion. Is this cap based on a rule I couldn't find? or is it in place just because feats like boon companion apply such a cap?

I like herolab and find it to be a useful tool, but I found myself having to do a lot of paperwork on my end to figure out what things "should" be and then making manual adjustments to the character to reflect things properly. I could understand if I was using a bunch of houserules, but so far as I can tell everything seems to follow the rules as they are written without modification.

Thanks!

Last edited by Lord Kailas; February 7th, 2019 at 05:50 AM.
Lord Kailas is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Rone

Old February 7th, 2019, 07:08 AM
Hey there! Could you please submit this in a report to support@wolflair.com and please attach a copy of the Character Portfolio for which you're encountering problems? That will help us to better understand what you're experiencing.

Thanks!
Rone is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lord Kailas

Old February 7th, 2019, 07:18 AM
I don't have access to the portfolio file at the moment but I will send that in tonight when I get home.

thanks for quick response!
Lord Kailas is offline   #3 Reply With Quote