Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Lucid

Old October 7th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I apologize if this question has been answered elsewhere. I'm still struggling to make sense of all this stuff and I was hoping you all might be willing to help me out?

I'm trying to use Hero Lab to create an old World of Darkness style campaign setting using the rules for Mutants and Masterminds. Earlier, when I used the Fate editor, I seem to recall that I not only had the ability to create new skills, but I could exclude the skills that came pre-installed into the program. Unfortunately, I can't seem to do this with M&M 3rd Edition. Am I missing something, or is it just built this way?

I don't intend to make any dramatic changes, but I would like to be able to exclude some of the descriptors and possibly re-name a handful of skills (i.e. create a new skill and then exclude the old skill from the menu.) Is this possible?

Also, there are a lot of items under the gadget guide and power profiles updates, and while it's possible to filter the list so that all I see are the powers in the core book, it would be really helpful if I could just create a group with the pre-made powers and gadgets I use most, or at least exclude some of the powers and gadgets that don't fit with the setting.

Would any of this work?
Lucid is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 9th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Look to the Hidden tab. Add a tag and that item disappears. I've verified that it works with skills.

And I am definitely with you on the Gadget Guide and Power Profile setup. I would have much preferred if they offered them in their individual offerings so that you could, say, turn on Gadget Guide: Vehicles and not the others.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old October 12th, 2014, 08:26 AM
I've been told that its generally better practice if you're just doing it for a specific setting to use Preclude rather than Hide.
Paragon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old October 12th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I was going to say what Paragon just said.

Make something with your setting and give it a tag name, so that you can select it in the Configure Hero screen. Then in the Precludes tag put the ids of what you don't want and use that setting's tag as the tag. This way whenever you select the WoD setting it will make the things disappear. They will reappear when it is unchecked.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lucid

Old October 13th, 2014, 04:23 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the replies. I really appreciate that you all took the time to answer my question; I realize now that it was fairly basic. It's just that this program is so daunting to me in this moment. I don't know what's possible and what isn't, and I've tried to sit down with the manuals, but it's just not clicking for me.

Forgive me, I know this is a little selfish, but as long as I have your attention -- how would I go about creating a source file that appears in the configuration menu? I thought that the *.user file I created for the campaign served that purpose?

Also, is there an option to re-open the menu after a character is already made? It's unbelievably frustrating to make a character only to later realize that I really don't like the way the power effect names are automatically listed (or worse, that I could have turned them off, but didn't.)

And -- last one I promise -- I tried to spend a little time picking through the forum before I just started asking questions flat-out, and I swear I saw a few people mention that we're not likely to see a function that would allow us to copy and paste powers, whether within one character or from one character to another. Maybe I'm just losing my mind, but I seem to recall someone mention that there was a workaround? Something about using the library tab instead of the powers tab?

Anyway, I just wanted to express my appreciation for the replies on this post. I understand that you don't owe me any answers and if something I asked about is in one of the manuals, I'm perfectly willing to go back and pick through it. It's just...I feel like I should get this, but for some reason, I keep getting overwhelmed by the amount of information and the apparent complexity of XML.
Lucid is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 13th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
Forgive me, I know this is a little selfish, but as long as I have your attention -- how would I go about creating a source file that appears in the configuration menu? I thought that the *.user file I created for the campaign served that purpose?
For the Character Configuration, I assume? That's a matter of tagging your edits with a Source. If I recall correctly, there's an option for adding a new one. All items tied to a source are turned on when that source is checked in the configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
Also, is there an option to re-open the menu after a character is already made? It's unbelievably frustrating to make a character only to later realize that I really don't like the way the power effect names are automatically listed (or worse, that I could have turned them off, but didn't.)
If it's the Character Configuration option, that's available via the Character menu at the top.
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old October 13th, 2014, 07:42 AM
In the user file you need to add something. Maybe make an advantage or a Power for being a Vampire or a werewolf. [Note that to make those work you will need to use the Auto-adds, and I would look at another pre-made power as an example on how to make it work]

In whatever that something is, click on its "Sources" edit button. From there you can create a new source with the -New Source- followed with OK. A box opens up with Source Name and Unique ID. You could put World of Darkness in the name, and WoD for the source, or whatever else you want to call it. You can leave the Parent Source alone, and then it will appear at the top of the list when you use the Configure Hero. Press OK.

After you save and Test Now (a button at the top left of the screen) you can use that source id for the precludes.

At first Hero Lab's editor is very daunting. I learned a lot by looking up examples of other things within the editor and coming to the forums. There are only a few of us that will answer on the forums, though. Sometimes it is better to just message one of us.

I once asked a question which never got a reply, only to come back on about a year later and answer it myself. I had learned more by playing with the editor for Savage Worlds and Pathfinder. The Savage Worlds stuff has a benefit in that we can look at its source code and learn from it. I was kind of irritated in that what I wanted to do took me at most 5 minutes when I looked at it again. If only more experienced people would have been willing to tell me before. <shrug>

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #7 Reply With Quote