Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bodrin

Old October 27th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
Stuff.............

P.S please do not think I do not appreciate all the effort by the community that they have put in for the Adventure Paths and such.. I am just asking for an official answer on this and maybe an official entry for the beasts too.
I'm glad you appreciate the effort and yes I agree it would be nice to have an "official" release of the AP Bestiaries.

However I'll stick my neck on the chopping block here and surmise that the Lone Wolf chaps are busy with the future Pathfinder release products including the bestiary 3 entries which should contain some if not all of the current AP entries, as well as coding for the other game systems that Hero Lab supports. So any help provided for the program even if it's just a basic script or simple text entry place-holder alleviates the pressure slightly.

After all the community created content can always be rolled into the official datasets as Aaron aka (Lawful_g) and Shadowchemosh have both contributed to the official product.
bodrin is offline   #161 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old October 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I do understand that the Lone Wolf crew is busy and I mean very busy... but if they did this and charged for it.. they would make a killing off of them too and can hire more?? (at least that would be my hope as I do not know how Lone Wolf's business works or even pretend to know).

I agree that the community created datasets that have been created for the Adventure Paths becoming officially added would make Lone Wolf's job a tad easier and I am all for that too. I would just like something in the way of it being officially part of the Hero Labs licensing.

I just want something that makes it so that it becomes part of the official data set so that when I go to use it the typical problems that can crop up because of updates and the like would be less likely to occur because Lone Wolf has made it so that it was part of the data stream that was up dated then.

I like the community datasets for the Adventure paths so much so I have even gone so far to contribute to them.. albeit not as much as I could have due to real life issues. but if Lone Wolf would make something like the Spell data sets and asking for community input to introduce the creatures in to the stock portfolios so that we as DM's can import them on the fly would be an awesome choice and one I think that would find a large and active community following and contribution as well!!

Make sense??
Nikmal is offline   #162 Reply With Quote
Umarian

Old October 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM
One thing that I will point out that you may or may not know is that some of the products that are "Official" Herolab content were actually written by people in the community and not by an "official" Lone Wolf employee.

A lot of the AP Bestiary files that you are mentioning about just bootstrapping are actually written by people that have had their content added to the official HL product, and coded in the same way that it is in the official products. That is one reason that they have a post asking for data file contributors from the community. http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=14134

I know that ShadowChemosh does a lot for HL that is now considered official. I can assure you that I have done some that is now considered official, and it is done in the same way that I did the Carrion Crown AP Bestiaries. As far as support with errors goes, you have a vast number of people in the community that do help answer the questions, like ShadowChemosh, ChiefWeasel and others, not to mention the level of support provided by Mathias and other employees on the boards.

With all that Lone Wolf has on their plate, they do get help from the community in order to get it out in a reasonable time for the community. (Which, by the way, I must say is something that I am very glad to see and encourages me to support and promote HL to others I talk to.)

Even though it may not seem like it, the bestiaries are made the same way that LW does them, with very minor differences if any at all. I would rather them focus on the larger products and implementations that they are working on and let the community handle the small stuff.
Umarian is offline   #163 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old October 27th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
I like the community datasets for the Adventure paths so much so I have even gone so far to contribute to them.. albeit not as much as I could have due to real life issues. but if Lone Wolf would make something like the Spell data sets and asking for community input to introduce the creatures in to the stock portfolios so that we as DM's can import them on the fly would be an awesome choice and one I think that would find a large and active community following and contribution as well!!

Make sense??
Yes! and I presume that already happens. If someone takes the time to code the creatures there's nothing preventing the user data from being incorporated as official later on!

Copy and paste code is my friend, I'm not a coder just a hobbyist!
bodrin is offline   #164 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old October 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I would like to mention I KNOW that there are community contributors that have their wok as "official" and this is exactly what I want to see occur too. If Lone Wolf does not have the manpower right now to input the bestiary from the Adventure Paths then please, like the Spell Dataset requests thread from Lone Wolf as a call to the community to input spells to be included by Lone Wolf in the official product. I would like to see kind of the same thing for the Bestiaries from the Adventure Paths. I would like to see Lone Wolf to make a sticky thread then... and ask for community input for the bestiaries and then make them official later on.

I would also like to clear things up that the last couple of replies may have been mistaken from. I never once wanted to imply that I think that the community in general or in particular in any way is not "official" or is any worse or better in any way compared to the official Lone Wolf products in Hero Labs. In fact I am part of that community and have contributed some of the bestiaries for an Adventure Path, So please understand that I just would like something [/I]more[/I] then we already have and maybe eliminate some of the problems that occur during updates of Hero Labs when we as a community create a creature, as it is less likely to occur when it is officially inputted in to the actual Hero Labs datasets then. This is NO way what so ever is a slight on the community that helps with this in any way shape or form as I envy people that help with this and will continue to do so myself when my life calms down once more. So please no more with the protection of the community from me as I am NOT trying to pick on them or say that their contributions are any less valuable then what Lone Wolf does ok?

Thanks!
Nikmal is offline   #165 Reply With Quote
Caraldur

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hello everyone,

I've downloaded the Carrion Crown HL file from ShadowChemosh's website and when I import the file I get an error "Thing "rUmMothMaw" - bootstrap thing 'spGhoHun2 does not exist. Can someone point me in the right direction to correct this problem. I have some experience with the Editor.

Here is the error log I get when I try to load Spring-heeled Jack:
Pick 'rUmSpHeJac' has been orphaned due to missing thing in batch '432'

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Car

Last edited by Caraldur; November 9th, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
Caraldur is offline   #166 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caraldur View Post
Here is the error log I get when I try to load Spring-heeled Jack:Pick 'rUmSpHeJac' has been orphaned due to missing thing in batch '432'
My guess here is that when you loaded pathfinder you got some error message? Maybe about "Duplicate Things?". Once HL gets an error on Load it goes into Safe Mode and no longer loads any .user file.

Without the loading of the .user files you can't open any .por files that require the .user file to be loaded.

So what was the first error message you got?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #167 Reply With Quote
Caraldur

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
So what was the first error message you got?
error "Thing "rUmMothMaw" - bootstrap thing 'spGhoHun2 does not exist
is the error I got when I loaded the hl file I downloaded from your site.

-Car
Caraldur is offline   #168 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 9th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caraldur View Post
error "Thing "rUmMothMaw" - bootstrap thing 'spGhoHun2 does not exist
is the error I got when I loaded the hl file I downloaded from your site.
That is the error you get right after you double click on Pathfinder before you open up any of the .por files?

Looks like its a spell level 2 like Ghost Hunter or something. My guess without having access to HL is that Umarian used something from a official data set that you don't own. So the bootstrap fails and then HL goes into safe mode.

Can look more when I get home and have access to HL.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #169 Reply With Quote
Caraldur

Old November 9th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Well, I did some more investigating and found the rUmMothMaw race is the problem. I checked the bootstraps and found a bunch of things that can't be found. Here is the list of <thing not found>

spGhoHun2
raUmConDra
raUmMaCrSp
raUmDeaLes
raUmDesMoM
raUmMMDeSo
raUmSpeDef
raUmMMTrHe
raUmMMVoSw
raUmMMBrWe

I have not idea where they would be found or is there a missing file I need in the custom user folder?

-Car
Caraldur is offline   #170 Reply With Quote