Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

bishop618

Old February 9th, 2017, 06:45 PM
So thanks to the people on this forum, the Facebook page, and YouTube videos I'm actually making some progress on Realm Works. The only thing now is that there is so much to be done. Especially seeing as the content market is primarily Pathfinder, and I'm doing 5e. Right now I am working on filling in the mechanics reference section. I have at least inserted the names of the srd files and 3/4 of the homebrew content I have as well. I have Hero Labs as well and have linked the portfolios to the monster articles.
What do you guys fill in first, and how? Classes, races, spells, feats, backgrounds, monsters, etc? I have all the information in different documents/files, and I now have to just fill it into RW. I'm just looking for some sort of structure or method to the madness.
Thanks in advance
bishop618 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 9th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Don't.

Really its pretty rare that I'll tell someone that they're doing something truly wrong in RW but IMHO you are.

Leave the mechanics reference alone. All that stuff you're doing is nice but it won't get you to the point where you can run a session. Enter your world. Enter your adventures. You'll be able to start running games sooner. Once you're running sessions you'll figure out what mechanics stuff you need and what you don't and likely some of it will be available on the CM for free done by the community.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2017, 06:57 PM
See I'm of a sightly different school.

Absolutely use the Mechanics, but be selective.

Since you have Hero Lab you don't need spells, feats, races, classes.

I would put the monster in. That will be beneficial as adventures will link to the monster names. The monster articles contain a picture of the monster and the HL Portfolio.

I like having equipment in there to. Mainly magical items as I can reveal them to the players via Fog of World. They use player versions now and can look the items up.

It's quite clear the MM will not make it to RW in the near future so I would go ahead and do this one.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
bishop618

Old February 9th, 2017, 07:01 PM
@kbs666
Right now I'm in a bit of a Writer's Block, and the group I'm wanting to play with is busy with school for the semester at least so Mechanics Reference is what I can do.

@daplunk
What about homebrew content? How would I place those in. I have a majority of HB files for feats, races, classes, and equipment.
bishop618 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Feats, races, classes and equipment belong in Hero Lab IMO.

If you put it all in there you don't need it in RW.

Now putting stuff into HL is not as easy. But it is possible to learn and we have a great supportive community to help you start that journey. Always happy to add more homebrew content to the 5eCP as well if you wanted to donate your effort to the greater cause.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
gaffneyks

Old February 9th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Best of advice I ever got was from a video from one of the 2 guys who already posted on this thread.

Just enter stub in the mechanics reference for anything you are going to have in the Story Almanac. Then go work on the Story, this allows the auto linking to work and you can fill in the mechanics reference later. I did this for Equipment and Monsters. I ended up just filling in the detail in the Mechanics reference prior to the session if i had time, otherwise i did it after.
gaffneyks is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 9th, 2017, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop618 View Post
@kbs666
Right now I'm in a bit of a Writer's Block, and the group I'm wanting to play with is busy with school for the semester at least so Mechanics Reference is what I can do.
Writers block I understand but if you obsess over the mechanics ref you're likely to get bogged down and never get to the part that needs doing.

The sooner you're creating adventures and setting stuff the better, IMO. You can fill in the bits and pieces on the mechanics side as you need them.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 9th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Remember that Realm Works is mostly for managing the information shared with your players.

Presumably, your players already have the rulebooks.. so entering the mechanics for classes, races, and such is somewhat redundant. Putting in every monster... even the ones you will never use (your adventure is for levels 1-3; the monster is for level 20)... is not the best use of your time.

Focusing in the information you need to run the game.. plot points, important NPCs, settlements, adventure sites, maps; which rumors have been shared, and which ones the PCs have discovered are false; notes to yourself about how to handle a particular encounter .. those are the areas where you will find the most return for your time. In that case, the monsters you actually expect to use might have some benefit as an easy reference for you.

I have personally entered much of the Pathfinder Core rules for my own use. It is not as rewarding as it might seem. It is nice to have Classes, Feats, and such available for easy reference, but if you have the book or the PDF available at the table anyway, there is less value.

By all means, if you want to use the mechanics reference in place of the books, feel free to enter the information.. but I would say it should be a low-priority "as time allows" type of project.

That being said, I would start with the "home base" town for your campaign. Fill in the town.. the NPCs... the shops... and any notes you need. Move on from there to the surroundings, and then the adventure site(s), adding encounters in more-or-less the order you expect to need them.
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 9th, 2017, 07:22 PM
I would start with the Community Dungeon come design something fun and learn how to use the tool in the process.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
bishop618

Old February 9th, 2017, 08:14 PM
How would I add all these things to HL?
Overall I'm trying to put all the individual pdfs/other files I have into somewhat of an organized structured format and RW seemed like the best bet with the Mechanics section. Am I wrong?

Also, I know building adventures and the world is a better option if I want to play sooner, but that's not what my focus is right now. I know, I'm weird that way.
bishop618 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote