Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ruhar

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:05 AM
I have an encounter where the players have a to make a Perception check to notice the monster hiding in the tree tops above the trail. What I'd like to have is a split snippet where one part tells me the DC # and Skill and the other part says what the PCs see, both on the same line. Each part would have the ability to reveal to the players but I would only reveal the text of what they see. Can this be done? If so, how? If not, can it be an option?
ruhar is offline   #1
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 25th, 2013, 12:20 AM
That's something we have already designed in, but we haven't exposed it yet in the UI. How that will work is already mapped out. So you should be seeing this in the upcoming months. I'm not sure whether it will be before or after the V1.0 release, though.
rob is offline   #2
zarlor

Old August 25th, 2013, 04:30 AM
Personally, for now, I think that to me just means making two snippets in that category right after each other. So you might have:

- DC: 15 Notice check to see the following:
- You notice a monster hiding in the tree tops above the trail!

The first one is basically your note for how to run it, the second is the one you'd actually reveal if they make the check. In some cases, where the outcome might not be obvious, you might also add a 3rd line about what happens if the PCs fail the check, then you are only revealing one snippet or the other as appropriate.

The reveal part comes in by pressing that bullet point at the left of your text. If your topic is revealed to the players they won't see any of those light blue bulleted items until you press it to make it turn green. That's the beauty of using snippets.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; August 25th, 2013 at 06:40 AM.
zarlor is offline   #3
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 25th, 2013, 06:17 AM
I don't know how you've designed it Rob, but zarlor has given me an idea:

One, multi-line snippet, where you choose which line to reveal. Maybe by radio button.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #4
ruhar

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks Rob. It's good to know it will eventually be there.

Zarlor, I thought about doing that but was concerned if I accidentally got the snippets out of order. I'll do this until the feature Rob mentioned is implemented.
ruhar is offline   #5
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 25th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
One, multi-line snippet, where you choose which line to reveal. Maybe by radio button.
That's not a viable option. We need to track separately which players know which snippets. So each snippet needs to be revealed or not to each player. In addition, we will only send down to players exactly what they have learned. Your proposal means we can't do this without opening up the contents of the snippet and parsing out only the reveal portion. The tech gurus here on the forum will attest that's not something that will work.

@zarlor's tip for using two adjacent snippets for the time being is the best way to go. This feature should be online before the end of the year.
rob is offline   #6
chava

Old August 25th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
That's not a viable option. We need to track separately which players know which snippets. So each snippet needs to be revealed or not to each player. In addition, we will only send down to players exactly what they have learned.

That line makes me very happy. I look forward to when that gets added.
chava is offline   #7
Knightblde

Old September 10th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised to see it as well!
Knightblde is offline   #8
pyremius

Old September 10th, 2013, 07:12 AM
I'll toss out a request to push that feature a bit higher up the release queue if possible. While it's mostly selfish (less re-work for us to do once it is available), there is the more serious benefit of testing it out and finding out where else that feature might be useful.

Since it's a rather major redesign of how snippets currently work, we won't really be able to predict where it might be useful. Once we start looking at the data sets, and using the snippets in-game, we should start saying "I wish I could do X like Y is set up", and then we'll have more suggestions for your ever-growing list.

Speaking of, I have to go put together another feature request.
pyremius is offline   #9