Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

zarlor

Old November 26th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I've run into a bit of a House Rule dilemma and maybe my search skills aren't up to the task but I didn't see this situation anywhere. I'd like to have certain aspects override the defaults of a standard or default file item and I'm wondering how it might be best accomplished.

For example, in the current campaign I'm in the DM wants all Dragonborn to start with Lowlight Vision and the Feat Dragonborn Senses to grant Darkvision.

The way around something like that might be to just create a new Race copied from Dragonborn and give them the Lowlight attribute, but when I do that I find that Dragonborn racially linked aspects don't otherwise show up (like Racial Feats, for instance.) I could just create new feats for, say Dragonborn Natural Vision and Dragonbons Senses (Houseruled) or something like that, while also increasing Feats in Permanent Adustments, but that is less integrated than I would prefer. I also tried copying the Dragonborn, modifying it, and then leaving it with the same Unique ID, but then it won't let me save that entry because it would be a duplicate, so that way deoesn't seem to be the answer, either (although in some ways it would be the one I'd prefer, in essence saying "Use my custom values in this file to override the defaults of that specific entry").

So what is the best way to try to do something like this without modifying the original, read-only, data files (which also might be overwritten with updates anyway, so you really wouldn't want to modify them directly for house rules like the above.)

My apologies if this question has been answered before, and if it has I would certainly appreciate a link to where I should have found it.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 26th, 2010, 03:16 PM
When you copied the dragonborn race under the bootstraps and gizmo buttons of the editor, top right hand side, you should see a "Replaces Thing ID" box. If you enter the original Dragonborn ID there and then save the file Hero Lab should use the custom data of your new variant race. The original data is still there but overridden by your mods.
If you need the original in the future just move your custom data file from the D20 folder and reload the system.
bodrin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old November 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Ah, I missed that. Thanks!

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #3 Reply With Quote