Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 29th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hi there,

Most of the time you guys hear from me on the Mutants & Masterminds side of the house but we also use your fantastic product for our 3.5 ver D&D.

Anyway, I noticed that you can have custom scrolls but not custom wands or potions. What's up with that?

I was trying to add one each potion of 'chill touch', 'false life', and 'ghoul touch' all which should be permissible as they meet the criteria for a potion as I understand it.

I only found a wand for two of those and I know the DM is not going to approve substituting a 50 charge wand in place of a one-shot potion.

So, if you could add the ability to make custom potions and custom wands just like we can make custom scrolls that will be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work,
Nigel Fogg, the Wayfarer
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM
At this point wands and potions have to be added using the editor, rather than a custom thing in the list. It would be a nice capability to have, but it won't be coming for a while.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old October 30th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
At this point wands and potions have to be added using the editor, rather than a custom thing in the list. It would be a nice capability to have, but it won't be coming for a while.
That's a shame....I was hoping to not have to learn how to use the editor. Tremendous fear that I'll screw something up and wreck an otherwise wonderful and very useful piece of software.

On the other hand, thanks for a quick response.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 30th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Go to the potions section. Press "New (Copy)" on the bottom left, and pick a potion whose spell is the same level. Change the name and description. Give it a unique ID. You're done.

Oh, and from the brew potion description "Whoever drinks the potion is the target of the spell." - chill touch can be made into a potion, but normally isn't, because people don't like inflicting damage on themselves. See the "Elixer of Fire Breath" for a magic item that works like you want it to.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old November 4th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Quote:
Go to the potions section. Press "New (Copy)" on the bottom left, and pick a potion whose spell is the same level. Change the name and description. Give it a unique ID. You're done.

Afraid that didn't work. Kept saying I couldn't test it because it wasn't saved. Saved it as a .user file both in and out of the Source folder. No joy on either testing or having it load when the program restarted.

In desperation, even though I feared it would mess things up, I clicked Save Data File so it would overwrite the .dat and still no joy on having it load when the program restarted.

It shouldn't matter if I have a "blank" template file open or the actual character when I launch the Editor. Right? Is there perhaps a step that was left out because it is obvious to you that a non-script-writing person like me should know about?

This is why I asked for you guys to just add a "add custom potion" & "add custom wand" just like you already have "add custom scroll"

Nigel Fogg
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 4th, 2009, 07:12 AM
The default save directory in the editor should be HeroLab/data/d20. That's where to save your file. Saving it over the .dat file in the source folder wouldn't have done anything.

The source folder is ignored by the compiler.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old November 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Quote:
The default save directory in the editor should be HeroLab/data/d20. That's where to save your file. Saving it over the .dat file in the source folder wouldn't have done anything.

The source folder is ignored by the compiler.
Okay, I see what I was doing wrong. I was trying to open the existing data file instead of opening a NEW data file.

Presuming that this should work the same way for wands all is well.

Thanks for your patience with me.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old December 13th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hi there,

I just wanted to say that I think it would be a good idea, when the day comes that one can make a potion in the same way one makes a custom scroll, that it would be good to have "Brewed" as a "drop-down" feature or as a selector box that would both automatically halve the calculated cost of the potion the same way that Mithral automatically halves the weight of armor it used in, etc.

Perhaps it would even add a (brewed) to the title so one can tell in the Gear list what was store-bought and what their character brewed AND the level at which the potion was brewed. Something that would be selected when making the custom potion & a contibuting factor to the cost.

A custom made wand would also benefit from having the level of the spell automatically notated in the title. Keeping track of the remaining charges would also be handy.

Keep up the good work,
Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; December 13th, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 13th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Actually, my very long-term goal is to have it know whether or not you have access to the spells needed for the magic item you're purchasing (all magic items, not just potions), along with the feats and the rest of the requirements, highlight those magic items you're capable of creating, and offer an "I made this" checkbox for those items that applies the creation costs instead of the item cost. This project is still a long way off. (and yes, this is intended for both d20 and Pathfinder)
Mathias is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old December 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Actually, my very long-term goal is to have it know whether or not you have access to the spells needed for the magic item you're purchasing (all magic items, not just potions), along with the feats and the rest of the requirements, highlight those magic items you're capable of creating, and offer an "I made this" checkbox for those items that applies the creation costs instead of the item cost. This project is still a long way off. (and yes, this is intended for both d20 and Pathfinder)
Mathias,

That will be fantastic. Especially the "access to the spell" portion as some of the people in my D&D game sometimes, umm, "accidentally" overlook the fact that, I mean, forget that they don't actually know how to do a particular spell when they decide that their character will just use the few days they have in town to make a wand/potion of "blah" rather than seek out someobne who has it & might sell it to them if they will meet the price that is more than they want to pay.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; December 13th, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #10 Reply With Quote