Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Farling

Old August 6th, 2015, 12:05 AM
No DARPANET for me. I was sitting in the Uni lab using JANET to log onto a machine in another Uni to play a MUD :-)
Farling is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 6th, 2015, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Oh yikes I had forgotten about that until you just mentioned it. See and the first thing to go with age is Memory.
I've found it starts leaking in 8Kb increments. I'm just dreading Moore's Law. If it applies to age and memory, then I'll be up to 16Kb next year and leaking Gigabytes much sooner than I'd like.

My fingers are crossed that Moore's Law doesn't apply to wetware - only hardware...

Quote:
That is a good way of looking at. Always looking on the bright side, hey Rob...
Sure beats the alternative IMHO.

Quote:
Some of the programmers I work with have been around a "long" time. And several times they have gotten into stories about actually using Punch Cards and programming. Especially stories about "dropping" them and getting them all mixed.
Been there, done that.

Quote:
Luckily I have nothing to contribute to that story. But I expect the day will come when I will be talking about using a "Keyboard" and mouse to enter code and some young whipper snapper will be looking at me like a fossil...
So are you implying that I'm ALREADY a fossil?

Just kidding!

P.S. I snipped your smileys because the forum is limiting me to 4 total, and yours also counted against the limit. I figured mine were more important since I already knew YOU were just joking around.
rob is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 6th, 2015, 03:38 AM
I'll remove the files from my site. That should help things a lot.

As for aging myself with computers, I remember hacking into a GE computer back in the 70s to play the old text game Dungeon. I started in computers we still had punch cards for our contracts. A word of advice, never, ever drop a tray of Hollerith cards.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old August 6th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Eh, ya all got me beat. I didn't get my first modem until somewhere around 1992 (2400 baud FTW). Due to location I couldn't even dial a BBS because they were all long distance calls. I had to use AOL 1.0 for Windows 3.1 and/or CompuServ 1.0 ... can't remember which was first but we went back and forth a couple times.

No one told me I could program computers anything beyond HTML at the time so I didn't even think about getting into it until college ... sadly college did not help actually giving strategies to learn stuff. It was all mostly "copy this from the book". When you asked "Why?", because that's what the book says you should do ... :-/

The professors I got the most out of were the ones that could answer the question of "Why should we always 'using namespace std;' in C++?" With my preferred answer of "You shouldn't, and those that use it for EVERYTHING are just lazy." I could have good conversations with them; the rest were all just book zombies.
AndrewD2 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
frumple

Old August 6th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Ha. I remember playing with a PET computer in elementary school and getting bribed with an Apple II+ computer in exchange for getting bar mitvahed.
frumple is offline   #15 Reply With Quote