Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

gloranphile

Old November 7th, 2018, 02:27 PM
This is addressed more to Rob and BJ, but I suppose anyone can chime in.

Will us Beta backers be able to get our grubby little hands on the new Release Candidates at some point? I know we're pretty darn good at finding bugs and errors in the RCs.

D100 for life!
gloranphile is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old November 7th, 2018, 02:38 PM
In case lwd needs more beta testers let me know, would also test a bit here and there

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old November 9th, 2018, 11:52 PM
Oh oh oh me too me too me too

ruhar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old November 10th, 2018, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't mind lending a hand if needed.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old November 16th, 2018, 07:02 AM
I'm somewhat curious to see how many of us original beta testers that are still in the forums. There was a great amount of quality feedback when the updates were coming fast and furious back in the days before release.
Gord is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Murrdox

Old November 19th, 2018, 05:50 AM
*Raises hand* original Beta tester here!

It's weird looking back on how long I've been involved in this project.
Murrdox is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
dgagnon99

Old November 19th, 2018, 03:19 PM
*raised hand too* Agree with the nostalgic feeling of how long this has been. Really looking forward to the 64bits edition as I am finally dealing with a large realm and want to see how well this edition of RW will be handling it.

Also wishing for a more interactive player edition (not as a VTT).
dgagnon99 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Rone

Old November 21st, 2018, 05:10 AM
You guys are the best. Thank you for your interest in helping out! Very much appreciated.

Our beta is currently closed, but we will let everyone know when it's active again.
Rone is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old November 21st, 2018, 10:03 AM
I am eager to test the new update in production, when you release it.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 25th, 2018, 02:22 PM
Not to contradict Rone, but the Beta team hasn't exactly been "closed". That's not really the best choice of words. A better term would be "on extended hiatus". And given how long it's been on hiatus, there are those who are still keenly interested in helping out (like those of you here in this thread) and those who no longer have the time/inclination to be guinea pigs. So we ideally need to review the Beta team, re-assess everyone's interest level, etc. That's valuable time that we're instead focusing on actual development right now.

Once we get the remaining issues with the installer sorted out, we'll have a Beta release available. So that raises the question of whether we should release it solely to the "Beta team" first. To my thinking, a Beta team serves two general roles - testing of ideas/approaches and testing of implementation. Nothing in this upcoming Beta release really needs a lot of feedback, as the behavioral things we're changing are really incremental refinements IMO. That just leaves testing the implementation, and there are admittedly some whopping changes in place. Did I hear some way 64-bit?

Fortunately, one thing we've been extremely careful about with all these changes is to avoid any structural modifications to the database. This ensures the new version will be 100% compatible with the existing version you're already using. That means anyone who runs into problems with the new version won't be stuck with it. They can revert back to the existing version and continue using that until we fix any problems that we've missed.

So what we're going to do is release this new Beta to everyone. It will absolutely be a Beta, and it will be elective whether you use it. If anyone runs into problems, they can rollback to the current version. This approach allows us to avoid the extra time to curate the Beta team right now, and, more importantly, it gets all the new changes - which seem solid based on our internal testing - into everyone's hands that much faster. Anyone can opt-in to the Beta this time around.

When we reach a point where we need to experiment with some ideas for how to do new stuff in the product, we'll have to dust off all the cobwebs and "get the band back together". You guys have been an awesome help for us over the years, and that's been HUGELY appreciated. Given the deep hole we dug ourselves, we have to take things in steps, and our first step now is to just get everyone this initial wave of improvements.

Thanks!
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote