Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kizan

Old August 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I know the paper rules state that you must pick your Archetype at first level. I would like to request that Hero Lab users be able to add/change archetypes after first level.

If I'm creating a non-1st level PC (or say importing by hand one from paper/PCGen) I tend to add all the levels in the Level Up! box and then try to add the Archetype after. This gives me a confusing error that just says "Nothing to choose from!" But what it really means is "You can't do this after first level."

Not only is it a confusing error message, there are some people/games (my game) that allow re-tooling of a PC so that a player is more happy with it. That might mean changing an archetype after first level. I don't want to have to back our six PC levels just to change an archetype to then go and add back the six PC levels. It's a very clunky way of doing it.

A second argument is that I can change my race as much as I like but not my archetype. This is also a "pick at first level option" choice that Hero Lab allows no problem. If it supports changing my race as often as I like it should support changing my archetype. Yes, I know there are spells that allow race changes for different reasons. In my game maybe there are spells that change your archetype?

I'd like to request an option that will all players to add/change their Archetype after first level. Perhaps this need to be a checkbox under the "Configure Your Hero" source and option dialog?

Thanx,

Kizan
Kizan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 25th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Add one level of some class that has archetypes to your character. In the archetypes list, switch the "Only Valid Items" filter off. Now create your new character - you'll see all the archetypes, even those you're not eligible for. If you ignore the error message about 1st level and select the archetype, no further errors will be reported.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old August 25th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Add one level of some class that has archetypes to your character. In the archetypes list, switch the "Only Valid Items" filter off. Now create your new character - you'll see all the archetypes, even those you're not eligible for. If you ignore the error message about 1st level and select the archetype, no further errors will be reported.
Thanx for the suggestion. I understand how to do it at 1st level but that doesn't solve my problem with changing it once the PC isn't first level any longer.

The steps I used are to import a non-1st level PC from elsewhere.
1. Open Hero Lab.
2. In the Configure Your Hero default dialog box click the up arrow till I get to the level that the character is. In this case 2 levels of rogue (should be lots of archetypes to choose from).
3. Fill in names and sources and the like (note must pick sources that have archetypes like the APG or UM or UC).
4. Press OK on Configure Your Hero dialog box.
5. On the Classes tab (default view). Click on the "Add New Archetype" choice.
6. Receive error message that looks like the attached file.

There are no filter options given on the error dialog. De-leveling the PC back down to 1st level then you the correct dialog that has filter options and so forth.

That looks like the second attachment.

This issue specifically happens to non-1st level PCs. Note that both dialog boxes were created using a brand new PC and just changing number of levels of rogue.

Thanx,

Kizan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg archetype-error-1.jpg (12.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg archetype-dialog-1.jpg (132.9 KB, 66 views)
Kizan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old August 30th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Thanx for your suggestion. I posted an earlier response to this thread that said it was going off to the moderator to be approved, but it must either have not been approved (I'm not sure why) or lost somewhere.

During this process I'm not getting the list of archetypes. I just get a dialog box with an error message. But I can't seem to get it to show every time! (Grrrr)

I'm getting this error message when I try to select an archetype on a non-1st level PC.

I thought I had the steps worked out that would show the error but when I went to run through them "one last time" just to check it didn't throw the error.

I'm using Win7 x64 Enterprise with 16 Gigs of RAM.

Thanx,

Kizan
Kizan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old August 30th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Thanx for your suggestion. I posted an earlier response to this thread that said it was going off to the moderator to be approved, but it must either have not been approved (I'm not sure why) or lost somewhere.

During this process I'm not getting the list of archetypes. I get an error message (but not a blank list of archetypes) when I try to click on the "Add New Archetype" button on a non-1st level PC. It just says "Nothing to choose from!" and an OK button. No selection list or anything. But I can't seem to get it to show every time! (Grrrr)

I thought I had the steps worked out that would show the error but when I went to run through them "one last time" just to check it didn't throw the error.

I'm using Win7 x64 Enterprise with 16 Gigs of RAM.

Thanx,

Kizan
Kizan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 30th, 2011, 08:22 AM
It hadn't been aproved yet because you posted it at 10:24 PM my time, and I hadn't checked the forums that late last night (for some reason, your post tripped the over-active spam filter on this forum - probably thought you were trying to sell computer programs or RAM because of that line about your computer).

Try adding a single level of some class this character doesn't have yet, then open the archetypes list - the archetypes for that class will be shown. Then, you can change the filter you're using, delete that extra level you added, and when you open the archetypes, you should see all the Rogue archetypes.
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote