Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kizan

Old August 10th, 2011, 05:59 AM
I didn't see any place for Feature requests so I'll post it here in hopes that it will get moved to the correct place (sorry!).

I use an iPad with 3G for gaming. It works very well for everything I need. At GenCon and other cons I don't have access to WiFi and have to rely on 3G for a data connection.

I use a iPad RDC (Remote Desktop Client) to remotely connect to my home windows machine and update characters on Hero Lab (save PDFs in my Dropbox folder). When on WiFi I can turn my RDC settings up to the point where it's much like using my machine in person. However when I hit a 3G connection I have to turn the settings down to lower the amount of data going over the link. Usually this mean 8-bit color. Cruddy looking but functional and fast enough.

Sorry for the long question setup. Here's my request. Hero Lab throws an error when starting in 8-bit color. If I switch to 16-bit color start Hero Lab and switch back the app runs fine (ugly but fine). Could you please fix the app to start in 8-bit color?

I know I can start the app ahead of time, but that's more of a work around than a fix.

Thanx,

Kizan
Kizan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:03 AM
We actually (5+ years ago) used to support 8-bit color in one of our older products, but it was a huge pain - all of the graphics that the product uses have to be converted to the same 256-color palette. Given that Hero Lab uses a wide variety of graphics for different game systems, I'm not sure that this would work out well.

What error message do you get when you start in 8-bit color? I can take a look and see if this is something we can resolve.
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Here's the text of the message.

Error loading bitmap file: 'c:\program files (x86)\hero lab\Product\.\texture\background.bmp'

and it has an OK button.

Kizan
Kizan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Here's a screen cap.

Image1.jpg
Kizan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 16th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks, this will be resolved in the next version of Hero Lab. It won't look any better than it does today in 256 colors, but at least it should start up properly.
Colen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old September 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Thanx for the update.

I don't need it to look good. Just run in a 3g RDP session at the con.

Thanx,

Kizan
Kizan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote