Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Fortuitous

Old April 26th, 2016, 05:45 PM
So I picked up Realm Works just a few days ago and have finally gotten a chance to start playing with it. I was wondering if there is a way to make a sort of "nickname" for an entry in the Almanac to better facilitate auto-linking?

So for example I am using this for Shadowrun. One of the groups I set up is Mitsuhama Computer Technologies - a corporation. However when I am writing an event or a scene, I would like it to automatically detect MCT and Mitsuhama and automatically content link it to the entry for Mitsuhama Computer Technologies.
Fortuitous is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Faerie

Old April 26th, 2016, 08:05 PM
Yeah, there is. You can set up nicknames and aliases. For example in a superhero campaign I'm running heroes and villains have their real name, then their superhero name. Each can be revealed separately. So for example if the players have heard of Mister E (which they have by default, he's a famous hero who's been active since the late 1940's) that alias is revealed but not his civilian identity.

Or the premiere superhero team can be linked with Freedom Society or The Society since that's a common nickname. One sec while I double check how you do so. Been meaning to continue prep for a campaign anyway.
Ah here we are. Click the tools icon in the top right of the topic and select Manage Names. Alternately, you can use the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+Shift+A to open the name management interface. Or when you use the topic creation shortcut (Ctrl+Q) you can set up nicknames and true names right away.
Faerie is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Faerie

Old April 26th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Also to point out, I'm doing the same thing you wish to do in a Pathfinder campaign I'm setting up. Several events, locations, items, and people have aliases, nicknames, or otherwise have a reason to be referred to as multiple things. Such as a magic item that's got a descriptive name by default, but the party can (maybe) learn the real name of the item. It's linked in my RW database by both names.
Faerie is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old April 26th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Yes. What you want is the Manage Names feature. In either a "topic" or an "article", use the keyboard shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+A

Or, click on the larger wrench icon in the upper right of the article/topic (not one of the smaller snippet-specific icons) and select "Manage Names..." from the menu.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old April 26th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Ah, started typing, got distracted and Faerie beat me to it. Sorry for the redundant information.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Faerie

Old April 26th, 2016, 09:25 PM
You could have beaten me. I was typing a response, then had to wait for RW to load so I could verify my information. You know, since I haven't used that feature in a bit with already existing topics. These days I set up any nicknames when I use Ctrl+Q to create a new topic while working on other topics. Such as creating a topic for a mentioned Event, person, or location.
Faerie is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ich.pdf

Old April 27th, 2016, 03:56 AM
However, you have to be aware that currently the "actual name" of the topic is always displayed when revealing the topic to players. It is not possible to reveal snippets within the topic withou revealing the topic itself and its "root name".

For Shadowrun that means: You will probably encounter a situation that you have a Mr. Johnson with a true name. Your Players will likely learn about that person as Mr. Johnson. So it is important, that all other names are aliases (there is acutally a special alias for true name).

This again can cause problems once you have more than one Johnson active in your campaign. Currently, I am adding numbers to seperate them so they can be linked properly.
ich.pdf is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Faerie

Old April 27th, 2016, 09:51 AM
That is actually a good point which I'd not realized yet. *wanders off to fix a few topic names*
Faerie is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Fortuitous

Old April 27th, 2016, 10:39 AM
So now that I've set up a bunch of nicknames for various things, I was wondering if there was a way to "hide" the additional entries in the list of groups / people? My list has doubled in size and is mostly filled with a bunch of faded names.
Fortuitous is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 27th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Each alias can be hidden individually in the Manage Names dialog.

Parody is offline   #10 Reply With Quote