Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

gloranphile

Old September 10th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Now that the Starting Point topic has been deprecated, what is everyone doing with the content they had in there?

My first thought was to transfer it over to a new Topic, but that doesn't seem possible with the shortcut via the tools menu > Topic Category.

D100 for life!
gloranphile is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 10th, 2015, 02:20 PM
I've never used the Package Starting Point category outside of a testing realm. Playing with that testing realm, it appears you can (now; it was buggy once) duplicate the Package Starting Point category and reassign your existing Package Starting Points to the duplicate. By doing so you shouldn't lose anything from how it's set up now.

Note that Package Starting Point is different from Realm Starting Point, the Category for the Topic/Article shown by the Home button.

Aside: This is one reason why I've been using custom categories for almost everything in the realm I actually care about. LWD's changes won't affect my stuff.

Last edited by Parody; September 10th, 2015 at 02:33 PM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 10th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Aside: This is one reason why I've been using custom categories for almost everything in the realm I actually care about. LWD's changes won't affect my stuff.
Okay, that sent a small chill down my spine...but, once the Content Market is out, I would expect that it would be very hard for them to make many changes without messing up all the content people already bought.

Also, you don't lose the prior deprecated topics? They still exist and can link and be linked to, correct?

Starting from scratch and creating all your own topics from scratch seems like a lot of work to avoid a minor risk. If I can be so bold, and if I remember correctly, the MAIN reason for you going through this effort is because you use RW for Paranoia and you don't find the default topics & articles, categories & tags particularly suited for that system. If you were playing, say, Pathfinder, would you STILL have nuked (or hidden) everything and started from scratch?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old September 11th, 2015, 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Also, you don't lose the prior deprecated topics? They still exist and can link and be linked to, correct?
Yep. They're still there, you can link to them, edit them, etc. You can't add new items using the Deprecated category. Any existing ones are crossed out in your list of Topics/Articles:

Deprecated Category Instance.png

...which you might find visually annoying if you were to leave them alone.

When they first made this change there were crashing bugs when messing with deprecated Categories or Topics/Articles using them, but they have since been fixed.

Quote:
Starting from scratch and creating all your own topics from scratch seems like a lot of work to avoid a minor risk.
Perhaps, but it's just one reason among many. (I even said so in the text you quoted.)

My decision to go with custom Categories was made before RW was officially released, long before I had a publicly deprecated Category and an instance of it to play with and even longer (since it's not out yet) before we would have the ability to share/purchase content. In those days LWD was making changes to the Global Categories on a more regular basis and sometimes those changes would include changing your content to match. (Build 157 shows one of those times, if you want to scroll to almost the bottom of the Release Notes.) While most of the changes were minor or additions, I don't want them changing my content behind my back. Thus separation from the Globals.

Quote:
If I can be so bold, and if I remember correctly, the MAIN reason for you going through this effort is because you use RW for Paranoia and you don't find the default topics & articles, categories & tags particularly suited for that system. If you were playing, say, Pathfinder, would you STILL have nuked (or hidden) everything and started from scratch?
Probably? Pathfinder (and D&D 3.x by extension) is the weird potential exception since it's the system for which the Global Categories were designed. The farther you move from the 3.x base, the less various bits in the Global Categories apply. You can even see this in the Tutorial realm, where the Topics mostly don't have the Auto-Add Pathfinder/3.x Snippets.

I've said in the past that the Global Categories are "too specific in their genericness". To me, they have too many "idea" type sections/snippets that I'm unlikely to ever use regardless of system, and too many system-specific ones for Pathfinder/3.x. While I could leave them and either clear out the blank ones every time I make a new Topic/Article or duplicate existing Topics/Articles with my changes, I prefer to cut down on duplicated effort. If I make a structural change more than once, I consider making a new Category.

FWIW, most of my Paranoia custom Categories are created before ever making an item that use them. I look at the related Global Categories and prototype a Category that I think will work. Sometimes I create an item using the Global Category, put in a sample item making whatever changes, and create a new Category to match, but normally I can look at the related Global and my other Paranoia Categories and figure what changes I want.

The above talk may make it sound like I'm creating creating new Categories all the time, but that isn't true. They are Categories, after all, and most of what you input is content. I just like having a good base for that content.

Other notes: Most (if not all) of my custom Categories are duplicated and adapted from an existing Category. I don't delete or alter the Global ones; I just hide them. That's the best of both worlds: no dealing with Protection, you can still safely import things (though RW should handle that itself), and if there are ideas you like that LWD adds later you can recreate them in your own Categories.

Everything said above about Global Categories also applies to the Global Tag Domains.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Last edited by Parody; September 11th, 2015 at 06:48 AM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old September 11th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Probably? Pathfinder (and D&D 3.x by extension) is the weird potential exception since it's the system for which the Global Categories were designed. The farther you move from the 3.x base, the less various bits in the Global Categories apply. You can even see this in the Tutorial realm, where the Topics mostly don't have the Auto-Add Pathfinder/3.x Snippets.
Speaking for myself, although I am waiting for the content market to see what any "official" content along this line looks like (if the deals can be completed, etc.) ... I *am* using Pathfinder and *am* inclined to scrap many of the stock Category definitions. Even if they are 3.x/PF based, they aren't identical, and (especially for Mechanics Articles) I want them to mirror the formatting and layout of the printed materials. I *don't* want to have to remember that the order of sections is different in the RW version even if they are all there, for example.
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old September 11th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I am using Pathfinder as well and found the stock categories to not be all that well suited to Pathfinder.

I had to make my own deity category based on the entity category that is more appropriate for Pathfinder deities, it includes tags for the gods domains for instance.
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old September 11th, 2015, 06:22 PM
It would be interesting if you could sell sets of pre-customized categories for specific game systems.

I find that I don't mess with customizing the default categories too much, with the one exception being spells. I do, however, have lots of topics with lots of unused snippets. Sometimes I'll clear empty snippets and sections but usually don't bother. Also, I'm worried I may want them later.

I find that, as long as I'm comfortable with lots of blanks in my topics, the categories work well enough for my 5th edition game.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old September 16th, 2015, 10:54 AM
You can easily restore the default sections / structure with the corresponding menu point. So it's safe to remove empty topics, which just clutter the view.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #8 Reply With Quote