Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gunnar

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Hi,

I just recently got HL and started doing some custom mods for the Oathbound setting from Epidemic Books. While adding in some of the feats I got stuck on the following.

Magical Affinity (Sp): Each time the silveradvances a level, it gains a bonus sorcerer spellthat may be cast once per day as a sorcerer of equal level to the silver. This ability is gained even if the silver is not a spellcaster. If a spellcaster, the silver gains this spell in addition to his normal spells. The level of the spell gained cannot be greater than 3rd, and must be less or equal to half the silver’s level rounded down. (At first level a silver may only choose a 0-level spell, and so on.)

I have been trying to find a good example feat/ability to copy from and learn but I am too unfamiliar with the language at this time to get creative. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gunnar
Gunnar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
poizen37

Old December 8th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I haven't played with it, but you might try duct taping script from the Spells Known adjustment from the in-play tab

EDIT: I misread your post and didn't realize you were not adding a spell, but a spell-like ability. If I come across something I'll let you know.

Last edited by poizen37; December 8th, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
poizen37 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old December 8th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Check out the minor/major magic rogue tricks
AndrewD2 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Gunnar

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
So that would works for chosing the poewr except for one small problem....I need the feat to grow every level and provide a new selection for the player based on the character level. Rogue and the likes use the following to allow for multiple selections

<arrayval field="cCustTot" index="1" value="1"/>

However that is not allowed within Feats.
Gunnar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Is that a feat, or a class ability (or an optional ability that the class can choose from)?

And am I reading this right - if you take it at level 3, you'll have 17 total by the time you reach level 20, but if you take it at level 5, you'll only have 15?
Mathias is online now   #5 Reply With Quote
Gunnar

Old December 8th, 2012, 12:42 PM
This is a Race specific feat and yes you are correct, you start gaining the spells the first level you take them. So it is just as you describe.
Gunnar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 10th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I hate that sort of thing, where it depends on the level it was selected. The d20 game was written with the intent of removing most of those that had existed in 2ed, and Pathfinder intentionally removed even more of them (namely the 4x skill points at 1st level). Why do 3PP have to add them back in?

(The only way to be absolutely certain they were working properly in Hero Lab would be if we REQUIRED users to complete all the decisions for a level before they could add the next level - meaning if you changed your mind about an early decision, you would need to delete everything added since then in order to undo that decision, then put it all back). That's why it's going to be up to the user to determine what level they selected this at.

I think you want to use a configurable. You'll only need one table on the configurable, and you'll only need one item in that table - the user will select a new copy of that item for each level, and it'll be the user's responsibility to select the correct number. You should be able to make the configurable's table selections be optional, and then set 99 or 999 choices available, so that you don't have to worry about the user running out.

The selection itself will function like minor/major magic - the user will select a spell, and your ability will display the description text of that spell.
Mathias is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
Gunnar

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Okay, so I see the ability to do bonus feats per level and then custom abilities, however I am still pretty green when it comes to all the tools capabilities. How does one go about making a table in the configurable tab?

The Oathbound setting definitely adds a bunch of mechanics that I wish I had tabs for. Do you know if there are any plans to have a template to build a new tab?
Gunnar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 10th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Take a look at the ghost template - see how it makes use of a configurable. (In the editor, go to the templates tab and the configurables tab, and make a copy in each place of "Ghost") The items that go in the tables on the confgurable are created on the R Cust Special tab in the editor, so go to that tab and copy some of the ones for the Ghost template, and see how they're linked to the configurable.

(Don't forget to delete all those copies before you press "Test Now!").
Mathias is online now   #9 Reply With Quote