Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Paragon

Old August 11th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Sure enough, the space did me in.

I'll check the other things when I get more time and see how they go. Thanks for all the help.
Paragon is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old August 12th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Okay, I tried this as a simple test this time: I just Hid Arcane Background: Psionics and Mentalist. When I test it, or simply load the cloned game system, even though I've got both Hidden, I get the following error when I try to load the data file:

Thing 'edgMental' - thing requires thing 'edgArcPsi' that does not exist.
Paragon is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 12th, 2014, 08:15 AM
If you have a cloned game system you could simply modify the source files to yank what you never want to see. Otherwise why are you wanting to use Hide anyway? Why not preclude those things?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old August 12th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
If you have a cloned game system you could simply modify the source files to yank what you never want to see. Otherwise why are you wanting to use Hide anyway? Why not preclude those things?
How does one directly effect the source files? Through the authoring kit?

As to Hide--as I recall, Preclude had the same problem I'm having with Hide. Let me check...ah, no, I didn't use Preclude because I couldn't figure out what the source ID was.
Paragon is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 12th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Ah, source ID is whatever you've set as the source name for your data file. So, for example, in Deadlands Noir the name of "Deadlands Noir" is too long for a Source ID, so I use the ID of "DLN". You could do something like that for a House Rules file, maybe use "HR" or something. Then whenever you select that source from the Character Config screen it will apply those things using that Source ID.

For modifying source files, you said you cloned the game system, which implies to me that you are using the Authoring Kit. If you're just trying to create a source for a new setting or for you own house rules I would definitely not recommend cloning the game system, Just use the standard system and your own .user file using a Source that you create for or in that file (you can also use a .1st file to help organize where your source shows up on the selections list and such.)

I'm pretty sure most of that is covered in the manuals. There are manuals you can get to from both Hero Lab and the Editor if you haven't checked those out yet.

The use of Hide could be very problematic for you if you decide to use any other settings because just the existence of something hidden in any .user file you've got in your data director is going to hide that thing from every other setting, even ones you might want to use it in. For more examples of user files you could go to the Updates for Hero Lab and just select some of the free Savage Settings. Those will open up a .user, and often a .1st as well, fill for that setting in your data directory (for me that's in C:\ProgramData\Hero Lab\data\savage, but depending on how you installed and the OS you are using your directory location may be different, but it should be similarly named.) You can open those .user files either in the editor or in an XML file editor (I use Notepad++, which is free and works quite well for me.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)

Last edited by zarlor; August 12th, 2014 at 10:35 AM.
zarlor is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old August 12th, 2014, 11:24 AM
What I have for my House Rules ID is I use "JWHR" Which is the first letters of my name John Willis and then the other 2 letters stand for House Rules and then name it House Rules. The only reason I do that is just in case some one else shares their House rules and uses HR or JHR.
jbearwillis is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old August 12th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Ah, source ID is whatever you've set as the source name for your data file. So, for example, in Deadlands Noir the name of
Ah. Part of the problem is mine is not really set as anything; that's why I cloned the game system instead, since it otherwise automatically loaded the datafile.

Where is it you do this?

Quote:
"Deadlands Noir" is too long for a Source ID, so I use the ID of "DLN". You could do something like that for a House Rules file, maybe use "HR" or something. Then whenever you select that source from the Character Config screen it will apply those things using that Source ID.

For modifying source files, you said you cloned the game system, which implies to me that you are using the Authoring Kit. If you're just trying to
That's where I originally did it, but I realized most of what I was doing was probably doable in the editor, and since I understood that better than the Kit...

Quote:
create a source for a new setting or for you own house rules I would definitely not recommend cloning the game system, Just use the standard system and your own .user file using a Source that you create for or in that file (you can also use a .1st file to help organize where your source shows up on the selections list and such.)
Well, I'd already done that, but I'm sure I can move XCOM.dat over in some fashion.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure most of that is covered in the manuals. There are manuals you can get to from both Hero Lab and the Editor if you haven't checked those out yet.
I'd looked at them, but to be honest, they were remarkably unhelpful on most of the things I'd looked at (other than pointing out the tabs exist I could not find anything that explains what Hide or Preclude did (let along the difference) so I mostly gave up on them. I only realize the exist because another user referenced them.

Quote:
The use of Hide could be very problematic for you if you decide to use any other settings because just the existence of something hidden in any .user file you've got in your data director is going to hide that thing from every other setting, even ones you might want to use it in. For more examples of
Well, I have no intrinsic objection to using Preclude instead; as I said, I just didn't know what it wanted (and I'm still wondering why Hide seemed to have the problem I mentioned and whether I'll run into the same issue with Preclude).
Paragon is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 12th, 2014, 04:10 PM
You can set the source at the bottom of most everything there is a button for Source. If the Source you want doesn't show on the list just select New Source and type in the info for the new source when it asks. You may have to hit that "Test Thing" button at the top to make it save the source so it will show up on the list the next time you make something.

On XCOM.dat? Try renaming the file to xcom.user instead. You'll probably need to set your source before moving it over, but otherwise just put it into your main data directory and you should be just fine.

As for why Hide had the problem, I'm not really sure. I never use Hide.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old August 12th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Quote:
You can set the source at the bottom of most everything there is a button for Source. If the Source you want doesn't show
At the risk of sounding stupid, at the bottom of what in this case? I see the buttons for user files in the initial character screen, but when I open the XCOM.user file in the editor, I don't see anything like that.

So where is it I'm supposed to be to set the source for that? None of the documentation I've looked at seems to discuss it.

Quote:
On XCOM.dat? Try renaming the file to xcom.user instead. You'll probably need to set your source before moving it over, but otherwise just put it into your main data directory and you should be just fine.
It was XCOM.user, I don't know why I said XCOM.dat
Paragon is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 12th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Sorry, it's the "Edit" button next to the "Sources" on any individual item. So look at the Ammunition tab, for example, below the big box where you put a description on the right (below "Weight" and "Treat as Standard Gear"). It's in pretty much the same spot for everything. In other words anything you create can have a Source set for it.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #20 Reply With Quote