Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 25th, 2012, 07:07 PM
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.a...ews%2F20120625

There is justice in the world, we complained, they finally listened!!! September 18th we can buy them again!!!!
RavenX is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old June 26th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Don't think it's justice, and I'm not into edition wars arguments, I think wizards have finally realised that the name Dungeons and Dragons as a brand is far removed now from it's earlier incarnations!

As the rules fundamentally changed from the game I played as a teen and older it was a change to far. All of my investment became obselete with the new ruleset but from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to V3.5 only a small percentage was rendered unusable.

And I had all official v3.0 and 3.5 products but the Tome of Battle / Horror.

I won't be investing in the reprints but I have voiced my opinion on what ought to be re-released in the survey.

Humble pie WotC?
Yummy!!!

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community

Last edited by bodrin; June 26th, 2012 at 05:45 AM.
bodrin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 26th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodrin View Post
Humble pie WotC?
Yummy!!!
LOL totally agree.

Considering we all got treated by WotC and PDFs before I will never give them my money again. I am glade they are putting them back out for those that want them. I always agree with options/choices (same with Droid vs iOS).

I have moved totally over to Paizo and I am super happy. Getting the PDFs for free for rule books with a subscription ROCKS! Add in that they update the PDFs with errata and its chocolate frosting on a chocolate cake!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old June 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Speaking from a personal standpoint, I am also happy players again have the option of picking up the 3.5 core books new.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old June 26th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I have to think... Why is WotC going backwards instead of forwards? A system that is defunct does not need a reprint at all. While yea there is Pathfinder but it does not apply here with 3.5.
I think of it as a sign of desperation and grasping at every dollar they can get now.
Nikmal is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old June 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Given one of the foundations of 5th edition seems to be "play whichever ruleset you want", it could also be that they're just trying to set up the groundwork for people who want to buy 3.5 instead of pirate PDFs.
Duggan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old June 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Supposedly, according to the notes Monte Cooke posted while he worked for them, WotC is making D&D Next backward compatible across all the editions. They are creating a modular system so that dungeon masters can pick and choose what they want to include. As a playtester DM so far I like what they're doing. Though if they wish to maintain backward compatibility they will need to rerelease the books for older editions of the game. Plus by now they have realized cutting off PDF sales did not have the "anti-piracy" effect they wanted. It has only driven people to competitors like paizo. Personally I do want the 3.5 line back in print. I do want to be able to acquire the Forgotten Realms books I was not able to get back when it was out. I would also like to see them do a full printing of Dark Sun for 3.5, as it would definitely sell books. I loved the Athas.org pdfs, but I would rather have nice hard copies with good artwork in them.
RavenX is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old June 26th, 2012, 02:53 PM
And I will admit, paizo doesn't always give good "item descriptions" for gear either. Climbers kit basically just says a +2 bonus on climb checks. While the 3.5 book says exactly what items the kit contains...
RavenX is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old June 26th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
And I will admit, paizo doesn't always give good "item descriptions" for gear either. Climbers kit basically just says a +2 bonus on climb checks. While the 3.5 book says exactly what items the kit contains...
Climber’s Kit: These crampons, pitons, ropes, and
tools give you a +2 circumstance bonus on Climb checks

Directly from the Core Rule Book.

BTW, WotC did not drive people to Paizo because of the lack of PDF's support. They drove them away with the 4th edition rules for the most part AND the lack of PDF support at a later date because Paizo took advantage of that fact and gave their fans all the PDF's they could possibly want!! Not to mention you do not have to jump through hoops to get their PDF's either.
Nikmal is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old June 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
BTW, WotC did not drive people to Paizo because of the lack of PDF's support. They drove them away with the 4th edition rules for the most part AND the lack of PDF support at a later date because Paizo took advantage of that fact and gave their fans all the PDF's they could possibly want!! Not to mention you do not have to jump through hoops to get their PDF's either.
4th edition did drive away a lot of people, initially they were selling the PDF version of the book for an extra dollar when you purchased a hard copy, which I did not mind. It was an extra dollar for an electronic copy of the book. When they cut that out and changed the character builder, I used Hero Lab.

THE PDF issue boiled down to an attempt to sell more 4e product. They were not happy with the fact 4e was not selling at all. You could still get 3.5 and older edition pdfs when 4e was around. 4e has been for the most part, a financial loss on their part ever since it debuted. The RPGA playtesters who actually did the official playtests at Gen Con did not like 4e and told them so. I was one of the few RPGA judges that outright refused to run it. Normally with new rules I am fine, but I did not like the changes. PDF sales are good business and other companies have reaped huge profits off online sales (White-wolf, Catalyst Game Labs, Paizo). WotC just wants to sweep 4e under a rug and forget about it the same way atari did with E.T. the video game.

WotC has had requests for years to bring back the 3.5 line, they are finally listening to the people who actually purchase the products about what they want, and not forcing us to buy 4e. They're wisened up and realized 4e won't sell. I own the entire line of 4e books, but I did not pay a dime for them. My players and other players just gave them to me.

We've been playing Pathfinder for years, basically since it first hit the shelf, and we are enjoying it. 4e was good for introducing New players to the game, but they need something more complex to graduate to once it is done. 4e should have been marketed as "basic" d&d and 3.5 upgraded to "advanced" d&d instead of the forced launch of what they knew was a bad system.
RavenX is offline   #10 Reply With Quote