Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Randall Jhen

Old July 30th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Why include the article at all? Your entire problem is that you have added something to the name that doesn't need to be there.

If you were not doing a mass import then this wouldn't be an issue. Clicking ok few times per article is nothing.
I include the article because I don't want every instance of the words silver, blue, green, indigo, grey, pale, red, gold, and invisible to prompt for a link; the Silver, the Blue, the Green, etc. are rarer and won't capture adjectives when I'm looking for nouns. Except when "the" is capitalized at the start of a sentence, at which point link detection skips the reference because the case doesn't match.
Randall Jhen is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Randall Jhen

Old July 30th, 2019, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Sounds to me like you have a couple of scenarios.

1. article named 'Green Sun' with an unspecified number of aliases with the word 'Green' in the alias name fields. Then you could have other articles use either the main name or the aliases to link back to the main article.

2 you have several different articles that contain the word 'green', 'Green', 'gReen', etc that are supposed to be different articles with different aliases and you don't want those to become interlinked.entire work useless.
I have nine topics for the nine dimensions: Silver Sun, Blue Sun, Green Sun, Indigo Sun, Grey Sun, Pale Sun, Red Sun, Gold Sun, and Invisible Sun.

Each sun is colloquially referred to as "the Red," "the Blue," "the Gold," "the Silver," etc.

So one topic, Green Sun, has an alias (to use an old term): "the Green". Because I don't want to capture every instance of the word "green."

Same for the word gold. And silver. And all the other of the realms referred to as "the (Color)".
Randall Jhen is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old July 30th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Which is exactly what I've written a bunch of times and is succinctly in your title. You want every capitalization of a token to be distinct from every other capitalization which breaks all my realms.
Hmm .. maybe I see the issue here.

It sounds like what @kbs666 is afraid of is that the suggestion as worded in the title would make each Topic Name/alias globally unique within a Realm based on the capitalization. (ex. "The Green" and "The green" could only exist once each as a Topic name, and no aliases for any other topic could ever match those).

A literal reading of the topic title could be like that. The dozen or so follow-up attempts to explain that's not it seem to be failing to reach past that reading.

The request, putting aside the "uniqueness" wording, is for aliases to honor case-sensitivity when being added in the GUI. That's it. That's what it all boils down to. So if I see a need to add "The green" as a case-sensitive alias for a topic named "The Green" with case-sensitivity, that's all it is asking for. Right now, even if both are marked as case-sensitive, it treats them as case-insensitive and prevents the addition of the alias.

Auto-Accept is irrelevant.
Mass import is irrelevant.

I actually think that because case-sensitivity is selectable for the main name, true name, and aliases, it is a bug that it is not currently honored in the GUI when adding aliases.
Silveras is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Randall Jhen

Old July 30th, 2019, 05:58 PM
At this point, I feel like I've stated my case as clearly as I can, in several different ways, that at least two other people seem to understand. The devs will look at it, make the call on whether it's a simple thing and worth the time or not, and move forward appropriately.

In the meantime, I'll keep my aliases for "the Color" marked as case sensitive and keep an eye out for the phrase being at the start of a sentence so I can create those links manually.
Randall Jhen is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 30th, 2019, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Jhen View Post
I include the article because I don't want every instance of the words silver, blue, green, indigo, grey, pale, red, gold, and invisible to prompt for a link; the Silver, the Blue, the Green, etc. are rarer and won't capture adjectives when I'm looking for nouns. Except when "the" is capitalized at the start of a sentence, at which point link detection skips the reference because the case doesn't match.
*Trying so hard not to bang my head against something*
I've already shown that this isn't an issue at all if you leave off the article.
You are always going to capitalize Green when you are using it as an alias for Green Sun. Therefore set the alias to be case sensitive and stop trying to break my realms.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old July 30th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Personally, I would just put the term 'the Green', 'the Silver', etc. as a note in each article that "Green Sun", "Silver Sun", etc. has a colloquial use by the characters in the game as "the Green" or "the Color" and not use it in the alias at all for linking purposes. It seems to me that it is something that doesn't need to be linked at all, it just needs to be player knowledge to search for "Green Sun" and not "Green" or "the Green" or "The Green".

It just seems things are being overthought.
Viking2054 is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old August 4th, 2019, 05:58 PM
I think it would be very useful, as several of us are trying to explain. For those in kbs' camp, it could be addressed with a new switch on a realm basis 'Preserve legacy case sensitivity aliasing' that defaults to true. For those of us who want automatic linking to the example 'Green' topic if and only if there is 'Green' in the text and not 'green', then we could hit the switch and make the 'Green' topic case sensitive.
Bidmaron is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 4th, 2019, 11:40 PM
From everything I've read, this is simply a request to fix the bug that Silveras has already listed (RW not allowing aliases with different case, which should be allowed for the "case sensitive" matching option).

It won't break any existing realms because all the matching options will work exactly as it always has.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is online now   #48 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old August 5th, 2019, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
From everything I've read, this is simply a request to fix the bug that Silveras has already listed (RW not allowing aliases with different case, which should be allowed for the "case sensitive" matching option).
Having become more and more convinced that it IS a bug, I have submitted a formal bug report for "Manage Names dialog does not honor case-sensitivity" with a detailed rundown of how to demonstrate the issue.
Silveras is offline   #49 Reply With Quote