Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

wheelmanforhire

Old November 25th, 2016, 09:50 PM
I showed up to DM at 6:30 pm... RealmWorks was taking FOREVER to load. rebooted several times. Finally suspected it was trying to "phone home" so I let it sit. Maybe 15 -20 minutes later it loaded and warned of a new release with options to update or work offline... I never update at or before a game (learned my lesson once) wanted to click work offline.

However, I could not interact with the application... when it got focus it immediately dropped focus to other apps. Finally (still not sure how, it must have registered a mouse click and tried to open... for the next 6 hours (yes, prevented our game session) it said "loading" version 215... Somewhere around 11:30pm it seemed to do something new... it showed a totally screwed up RealmWorks - a half-drawn screen with the "content library at the right, and a bunch of white gray unfinished / unrendered areas on the rest of the screen.... was unable to interact with it as well (not sure if it was locked up or trying to load my realm, or stalled or lagged or what.

My realm is huge... can somebody tell me if they are experiencing the same issues? At this point I'm very concerned that all my work since the last back up is lost.

Last edited by wheelmanforhire; November 25th, 2016 at 09:54 PM.
wheelmanforhire is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 25th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Im working in it currently. Re-sync is occurring. Looks fine. If it's not you will hear me scream as the players are already turning up.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 25th, 2016, 10:11 PM
We have not touched anything since the release last Friday, the 19th. That release was minor and just involved the desktop client - nothing on the server. The last release that involved the server was on Tuesday, the 15th. We've done nothing with the server for 9 days, and, as far as I'm aware, the server is operating normally.

RW makes a backup every time you launch it, and it keeps at least the last 10 of them, so you'll have a snap shot of the database available if you need it.

If RW says it's loading build 215, then you are still running the stable version from many months ago. We just released builds 216 and 217 last week (Tuesday and Friday).

There should be nothing going on with RW that anyone else has reported that would explain what you described here.

I've seen similar types of things with other programs when I've not rebooted by laptop in a long time. Lots of hibernates causes Windows to lose its mind sometimes, so I've gotten into the habit of doing a restart every few times, especially prior to something important. Could that be an issue here?

I've also seen similar types of behaviors (with other programs) when a computer is horribly out of memory due to too many programs running concurrently. Once you run out of RAM, Windows will start swapping programs to disk. If those programs are large, Windows can start to choke doing all that swapping. And if you are low on disk space, and/or your disk is badly fragmented, Windows will slow to a crawl - like you describe here. Could that be the issue here?
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
wheelmanforhire

Old November 25th, 2016, 10:16 PM
That is certainly a possibility I suppose. I'm running windows 8 on a Mac. Never had trouble before. I did reboot the windows environment. I'll try starting and stoping the virtual machine and see if that can free things up to work the way it used to.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is it possible to take a realmwork back up from one computer and open it on another. I have a dedicated Windows machine that has a lot more horsepower.
wheelmanforhire is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 26th, 2016, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelmanforhire View Post
Is it possible to take a realmwork back up from one computer and open it on another. I have a dedicated Windows machine that has a lot more horsepower.
Absolutely! On the Launch Dialog, go to the Tools tab. You'll see the option to Restore Database.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
wheelmanforhire

Old November 26th, 2016, 06:29 AM
The help is greatly appreciated! Okay - I'm going to give it a try.

Just to be sure...
- my problematic laptop has build 215.
- My desktop (where I'm going to try to bring up the back up) now has the latest 217.
- After one crash on the desktop I was able to install, log in, cancel session (laptop I presume)
- It wanted to sync my realms from / with the cloud (this is probably a month old). Which just complted.

So my next steps are:
Take the 215 laptop back-up and restore to it, sound correct?
It will take care of the fact that its a 215 realm and turn it into a 217?

Thanks,
Brian
wheelmanforhire is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 26th, 2016, 10:36 AM
The easiest thing would be to simply uninstall 215 from the laptop, and then do a fresh install of 217. The new install would then sync to fetch the current realm data from the cloud.
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote