Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ruhar

Old July 13th, 2019, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
Please keep in mind that we are not accepting unsolicited submissions at this time, but these are still good guidelines for setting up your realms and sharing with friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
Is this still in effect? Adventure-A-Week has several completed realms and would like to include them in the CM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj Stephens View Post
Yes, it is still in effect.
Unsolicited and 3PP aren't being accepted at this time and who knows for how long. Why not create an Underworld of the Content Market? It would be a location where the content wouldn't be required to follow the strict LWD guidelines so no guarantees. Homebrews with no copyright materials could be sold or made available. And, if the content of a 3PP doesn't make the cut for the Upperworld and they don't want to make the necessary changes they can have the option of selling in the Underworld at a lower price.

The benefit is there is one location for RW content (plus LWD gets a cut) and sellers have the CM's various security mechanisms. A win-win situation for everyone involved.
ruhar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old July 13th, 2019, 07:43 AM
If the content is up to the Lone Wolf standards, and is within their guidelines, I don't really see a down side for Lone Wolf distributing the content of third party publishers via the Content Market.

LW doesn't need to create the content, convert it into a RW format, yet presumably takes at least a percentage of the sale price.
And if a given product line sells well, more related products will be made available, on the chance that they sell too.
Again, with most of the input time/effort done by another party, and then just reviewed by LW to see it meets the requirements.

I'd rather support LWD than have a black market / underworld distribution.
Ualaa is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 13th, 2019, 07:55 AM
LWD has some process to mark CM realms as not exportable. Any export made by a third party can be exported from any realm it is imported into. So, while it might be trivial, LWD would have to do something more than a review of material to determine if it meets their standards.

Personally I hope they make that copy protection feature publicly available and drop the "everything on the CM must meet our standards and follow our guidelines" stance. IMO their guidelines are terribad and their own QC has been amply demonstrated to not be very effective. Just go over to drivethrurpg and consider the size of their library. There's no way they manually review everything. Far better to have a review and rating system and let the market decide, with an appropriate flagging feature for inappropriate content that does need to be looked at.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old July 13th, 2019, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
I'd rather support LWD than have a black market / underworld distribution.
You misunderstood what I said. The black market as you called it would be a distribution done somewhere else and not on CM. The Underworld I suggested would be a part of the CM thus part of LWD but would not have the strict "standards" that LWD is expecting. I think kbs666 said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Personally I hope they make that copy protection feature publicly available and drop the "everything on the CM must meet our standards and follow our guidelines" stance. IMO their guidelines are terribad and their own QC has been amply demonstrated to not be very effective. Just go over to drivethrurpg and consider the size of their library. There's no way they manually review everything. Far better to have a review and rating system and let the market decide, with an appropriate flagging feature for inappropriate content that does need to be looked at.
I suggest Ualaa that you download and read the content submission guidelines and see how easy it would be for you to create a realm to submit for the CM and be accepted. I know one person who is really good at using RW and had SIX PAGES of changes to make and that's still no guarantee it would be approved for the CM.

I personally labored intensely for a 3PP on a realm. I made sure that it not only looked nice using the publication's colors and fonts but I tried to make sure it followed the guidelines. I was very pleased with the final product then recently learned it will never be accepted in the CM. Unless the 3PP sells it elsewhere no one will see my work.

I know that some 3PP invested time and money in making content for the CM. If they don't follow the LWD "standards" to the letter they may break even selling it in DriveThruRPG or someplace else. That is why I suggest a section in LWD's CM that 3PP can sell their LWD Non-Standard, aka Rejected, content. The "Underworld" or "Bargain Basement" section NOT the black market.
ruhar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old July 13th, 2019, 10:37 PM
If content creators don't care about the copy protection, they can sell on DriveThru RPG or through their own on-line shopping carts. Sure, people would be able to copy and share them, but people can do that with PDFs purchased on DriveThru RPG.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old July 14th, 2019, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
If content creators don't care about the copy protection, they can sell on DriveThru RPG or through their own on-line shopping carts. Sure, people would be able to copy and share them, but people can do that with PDFs purchased on DriveThru RPG.
But if they do care about copy protection they can get the protection from CM whether it be from the main CM or the Underworld/Bargain Basement that I suggested.
ruhar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 14th, 2019, 02:54 AM
Further what are the chances someone will go on drivethrurpg looking for a realm when LWD has advertised their own CM so heavily, with the implicit "RW content will only be available here?"

Also publishers would need to convince drivethru to add RW content as its own separate category so people could find them. That would be a non trivial expense unlikely to be recouped in the short term by them.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote