Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Starfinder

Notices

Chronoknight420

Old October 22nd, 2019, 07:24 PM
I was just wondering about some things before I pull my wallet out. I currently have the demo version and I do like the layout. I was just wondering when I go pro can I design a star-ship? Will it have the new races, themes, and such as I buy new books/modules? How is it to game online? Do I need Realm Works also? Speaking of which I do GM from time to time. How is Realm Works?

I was wondering is I like Mutants and Masterminds as well. I see they are included in the classic but I did not see the books for the online. Will these be added?

Last question how easy is it to find groups to play together with?
Chronoknight420 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old October 24th, 2019, 01:34 PM
Hero Lab is not an online gaming tool - it creates characters. You need to find your own group. (Search the internet, go to a gaming store)
Starfinder does not have starships - it is planned for the future. You will get new races/classes, etc, if you buy the book/package that they are part of.
Realm Works is for GMs - an aid to designing adventure worlds. You should be able to find You-tube videos that give you an example of how it works.
M&M is only available for HL Classic - not Online. This probably won't be added to HLO.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old October 24th, 2019, 05:41 PM
@chronoknight... as for finding a game, are you looking for online or local play?

If online... I have several suggestions...
If IRL... PM me where you are located and I may be able to point you somewhere?
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Chronoknight420

Old October 24th, 2019, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaskedFerret View Post
@chronoknight... as for finding a game, are you looking for online or local play?

If online... I have several suggestions...
If IRL... PM me where you are located and I may be able to point you somewhere?
I am looking online. Fantasy Grounds ends up costing more than my rent. It is just not worth it to me.
Chronoknight420 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 24th, 2019, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoknight420 View Post
I am looking online. Fantasy Grounds ends up costing more than my rent. It is just not worth it to me.
I might have the wrong VTT, but doesn't FG allow the GM, if they buy the right sort of license, to host all the players so that the players don't need to buy the system themselves?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old October 25th, 2019, 10:50 AM
OK, @Chrononight... do I have suggestions for you!
Starfinder has a number of very established lodges where you can play!

The Roll For Combat Discord is a great place if you are interested in Starfinder Play by Post!
The Cosmic Crit Discord is a great place for VTT Games (Mostly on Roll 20)
The Starfinder Nexus Discord is another great place for VTT Games!

There is also:
The Paizo Org Play Discord is a good source for Paizo Organized Play info and games, including Starfinder.
Castamir's Flaxseed Station is a PbP lodge based on Paizo's official boards

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you want more info.
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
msbranin

Old October 26th, 2019, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I might have the wrong VTT, but doesn't FG allow the GM, if they buy the right sort of license, to host all the players so that the players don't need to buy the system themselves?
Correct If the gm buys the ultimate version or subs it monthly then the players only ever need to connect with the demo version.

As far as cost..
Roll20 pro account 9.99 / month or 99.00 a year (Every year) .. never own
Fantasy Grounds Ultimate 9.99 month or 149.00 lifetime(1 time fee and you own for life)

Depending on the rpg game system you want to use, both are great and I am subbed to roll20, but I ended up buying FG and have not looked back. The Starfinder content in FG is incredible. The people who support the starfinder system in both products are great and very helpful.

There is another VTT System That I use but I find it quirkier to use but its cheaper to buy and own is D20 Pro... 50 dollars for the program and 4 seats for players and you can buy more seats as needed.

Last edited by msbranin; October 26th, 2019 at 09:55 AM.
msbranin is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
msbranin

Old November 3rd, 2019, 11:42 AM
Quick note Also .. Right now Fantasy Grounds is on sale for 111.75 So It puts it more inline with Roll20's one year sub price except you own it after.
msbranin is offline   #8 Reply With Quote