Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Chronoknight420

Old October 23rd, 2019, 04:40 AM
I was thinking of upgrading but I had a few questions first. I am sure some of these have been answered before but help me out, please. I am interested in Starfinder. After I upgrade will I be able to build a starship? How easy would it be to find a game? Would I have to get Relm Works to play a game?
Chronoknight420 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 23rd, 2019, 08:37 AM
I don't own HLO, but this is just character sheet building software. You would still print off the sheet (or view it on your screen) at the game table (virtual or physical), which you would have to find on your own. Realmworks is campaign-management software for the DM and is not really a virtual table-top (and I'm not certain if HLO allows import into RealmWorks).

You can try HLO out for free (but won't be able to export your character until purchased) and return it for a full refund within a certain amount of time (30 days, I think) even after buying.

Last edited by Duggan; October 23rd, 2019 at 08:41 AM.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old October 23rd, 2019, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoknight420 View Post
After I upgrade will I be able to build a starship?
No, starship support is a feature that's planned for the future but not implemented yet.
dacoobob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Chronoknight420

Old October 23rd, 2019, 01:56 PM
I feel that should be a priority since it is a core feature of Starfinder. It is in the core rulebook. In fact, they have a whole chapter on it.

As for Realm works, I did see that there was a GM copy and a PC copy. I am guessing this would allow a game to be played on Realm Works
Chronoknight420 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old October 24th, 2019, 01:37 PM
Quote:
As for Realm works, I did see that there was a GM copy and a PC copy. I am guessing this would allow a game to be played on Realm Works
You don't actually play games on Realm Works. (It's not an online game, nor a Virtual Table-top) It's a GM tool to store information about a world, adventures, NPCs, etc and to help in revealing that information to the players.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old October 24th, 2019, 02:13 PM
Quote:
I feel that should be a priority since it is a core feature of Starfinder. It is in the core rulebook. In fact, they have a whole chapter on it.
i agree. why LW would choose to release such an incomplete product is beyond me-- it just makes them look bad. but here we are.

Last edited by dacoobob; October 24th, 2019 at 02:16 PM.
dacoobob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
TheMaskedFerret

Old October 24th, 2019, 05:44 PM
There have been a number of challenges that Lone Wolf has had for updating their online products. Starship creation is one of them, they have not yet had a chance to add that subsystem.

As for where to play Starfinder... I can give you more info on that, if you don't mind telling me if you are looking for Online or IRL games. (also replied to this to much the same effect in the Starfinder section)
TheMaskedFerret is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Chronoknight420

Old October 24th, 2019, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaskedFerret View Post
There have been a number of challenges that Lone Wolf has had for updating their online products. Starship creation is one of them, they have not yet had a chance to add that subsystem.

As for where to play Starfinder... I can give you more info on that, if you don't mind telling me if you are looking for Online or IRL games. (also replied to this to much the same effect in the Starfinder section)
I would love to find a place I can play online. I was using Fantasy Grounds but in order to play Starfinder, I have to pay 59.99 for a book that costs 29.99 from the publisher. Now that is only one book. They trick you by saying Starfinder is part of the base system. Oh, but non of the data is on there. You have to pay 2x what the book is worth to get that info.
Chronoknight420 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old October 24th, 2019, 07:42 PM
Quote:
I would love to find a place I can play online. I was using Fantasy Grounds but in order to play Starfinder, I have to pay 59.99 for a book that costs 29.99 from the publisher. Now that is only one book. They trick you by saying Starfinder is part of the base system. Oh, but non of the data is on there. You have to pay 2x what the book is worth to get that info.
It's not a trick. The book costs 59.99 to buy retail price. You can get it cheaper obviously, Amazon discounts the book to 41.99.

Fantasy grounds doesn't own the rights to the book, they have to pay Paizo a licensing fee for each item sold, they also need to pay the people that turn that book into content usable by you and others within the program (this does not happen magically) and then they need to pay for the programmers, staff, rent, utilities, etc.

FYI, HLO is similar, you will end up paying for each book also.

Last edited by Toblakai; October 24th, 2019 at 08:14 PM.
Toblakai is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Chronoknight420

Old October 24th, 2019, 07:52 PM
I know but the same book is 34.99 here. I am not trying to be a jerk or anything. I like their setup. It could use some improvement but what doesn't. I just don't have a whole bunch of money to blow on a game. I get the PDF of every book. BTW Starfinder core rule book is 9.99 on paizo site. J/s
Chronoknight420 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote