Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old January 5th, 2020, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
First let me ask, do you have a Patreon, or similar? Your efforts have greatly impacted the usefullness of HeroLab for me. Its wonderful, and I'd love to kick in a few bucks for your efforts.

Next up, I found a glitch I thought I'd report. Well, its more like an unanticipated effect. If The Dark Sun Material is added, it's requirements overwrite the other settings. My experience shows that If Dark Sun is enabled, Sorcerer and Paladin classes are disabled, even if you aren't using anything related to Dark Sun. I'm not sure what else is affected.

Lastly, Are your conversion efforts and the community packs the only sources for Forgotten Realms content? I see a LOT of FR books listed, but grayed out in the selection window. A While back you had listed adding the Dwarven Battle Rager as a next step, but I don't see it now. Did that fall by the wayside for now?
Patreon & Supporting Me
I do not have a patreon account, as that is more for content creators. I'm more data-entry and dont have alot of perks I can give to folks in return. Also, I can't imagine myself livestreaming my efforts to enter content into herolabs; I'd bet that would be rather boring as I dont talk much, just listen to endless ours of audiobooks.

I do have a KO-FI, that I set up a while back to take tips for my GMing on roll20. If you want you can tip me at TobiasFox on Ko-Fi. And it would be very much appreciated. :P

Dark Sun Glitches
Well, dark sun is actually a very specific subset of 3.x, it uses VASTLY different rules. Spontaneous casters dont exist (mostly). Many races dont exist or are so different they cannot be handled with Alternate Racial Traits, and Divine Casting is dramatically different because their are no true deities, only Wizard-Kings or something like that that "grant" powers to followers. It is also a HIGHLY psionic system.

I do very little updating to Dark Sun because I have never played it and really know almost nothing beyond what I've described. This is why I created the option. <Use Dark Sun Spells and Powers> selecting this will allow you to use spells and psionic powers from Dark Sun without running into all of the preclude issues and validation errors.

If anyone thinks they can do a better job running Dark Sun and wants to take over. I'd be more than happy to surrender management of it. But only to someone who is experienced at coding.

Abandoned/Partially Abandoned Content and Grayed Out Sources
I added all of those sources and grayed most of them out. At one time I was more invested in converting whole books. Now, I convert material mostly on an as needed basis. Classes often fall by the wayside if a project becomes too much or I run out of time.

I had to abandon several things, Griffon Rider of Algarond, Runescarred Berserker, Battle Rager etc. Although, rune-scarred has recently been re-added to my to do list because of a request.

If you wish for me to enter something specifically for you, I'd be happy to try.

My next update for this content will be at the end of the month, and it will include all of the Iconic 3.x content, some additional content from 3.x supplements and the Runescarred Berserker. After that, I have several games of my own that will likely keep me very busy. Including a pay2play game I am positively desperate to run.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #221 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 5th, 2020, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post

Dark Sun Glitches
Well, dark sun is actually a very specific subset of 3.x, it uses VASTLY different rules. Spontaneous casters dont exist (mostly). Many races dont exist or are so different they cannot be handled with Alternate Racial Traits, and Divine Casting is dramatically different because their are no true deities, only Wizard-Kings or something like that that "grant" powers to followers. It is also a HIGHLY psionic system.

I do very little updating to Dark Sun because I have never played it and really know almost nothing beyond what I've described. This is why I created the option. <Use Dark Sun Spells and Powers> selecting this will allow you to use spells and psionic powers from Dark Sun without running into all of the preclude issues and validation errors.

If anyone thinks they can do a better job running Dark Sun and wants to take over. I'd be more than happy to surrender management of it. But only to someone who is experienced at coding.
A note about Dark Sun. As I recall, there was NO official 3.x Dark Sun product. Dark Sun and Birthright were both AD&D 2nd Edition product lines that were essentially abandoned in 3.x Part of the reason for TSR being bought out by Wizards of the Coast in 1998-1999 was they had too many competing settings (including Dark Sun, Eberron, Birthright, Greyhawk, and Forgotten Realms). WotC focused on the Forgotten Realms for a setting, and used the Greyhawk gods for the iconic cleric (Jozan). Everything else is a fan conversion, to the best of my knowledge.
Silveras is offline   #222 Reply With Quote
Sarelth

Old January 8th, 2020, 07:37 PM
Yes, Darksun and Birthright were 2nd Edition D&D setting that never came into the more modern versions, though there is a Darksun setting for 5e now I believe.

My Birthright conversion kinda stalled as the fan project behind it sort of died. I have some plans to try to get it going again though. I think they are working on a 5e version, or at least a couple of them are.

Also, Toby do you have a Github or something set up for the files? I keep finding little errors, like spaces in the middle of words, and I would be more than willing to go over files to edit them if you were willing to allow me I mean.

Current Games:
5E Homebrew - DM

Recent Games:
Shadowrun 5E - GM
Pathfinder Homebrew - DM
Curse of Strahd 5E - Player

My HL Files - Birthright, Creatures, and items
Birthright Setting and D20Despot Let me know if it breaks.
Sarelth is offline   #223 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 9th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarelth View Post
Yes, Darksun and Birthright were 2nd Edition D&D setting that never came into the more modern versions, though there is a Darksun setting for 5e now I believe.

My Birthright conversion kinda stalled as the fan project behind it sort of died. I have some plans to try to get it going again though. I think they are working on a 5e version, or at least a couple of them are.

Also, Toby do you have a Github or something set up for the files? I keep finding little errors, like spaces in the middle of words, and I would be more than willing to go over files to edit them if you were willing to allow me I mean.
I dont use github, I do not like github. I can never figure out how to keep things up todate between what I'm working on and my computer. However, I'm not currently working on anything for Darksun, at this moment anyway, so if you see stuff you are welcome to make edits in the file and send it to me direct.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #224 Reply With Quote
Sarelth

Old January 9th, 2020, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
I dont use github, I do not like github. I can never figure out how to keep things up todate between what I'm working on and my computer. However, I'm not currently working on anything for Darksun, at this moment anyway, so if you see stuff you are welcome to make edits in the file and send it to me direct.
I agree about github being confusing, Not sure how to get things to the update source myself.

Current Games:
5E Homebrew - DM

Recent Games:
Shadowrun 5E - GM
Pathfinder Homebrew - DM
Curse of Strahd 5E - Player

My HL Files - Birthright, Creatures, and items
Birthright Setting and D20Despot Let me know if it breaks.
Sarelth is offline   #225 Reply With Quote
Doskious

Old January 18th, 2020, 02:46 PM
Howdy folks! I've encountered a bug; for the Dragonlance Wizard of High Sorcery PrC, there's a pre-req that's supposed to be checking for the ability to cast 2nd-level Arcane spells that's written like this:

Code:
@valid = 1

if (tagis[Hero.PrepArc] <> 0) then
  if (#cancastarcane[] >= 2) then
     @valid = 0
   endif
  endif
And I'm pretty sure the truth-values should be inverted, like this:

Code:
@valid = 0

@valid = 1
   endif
  endif

As far as the whole Git-thing...

Git, and GitHub, and the whole application of branching Version Control is confusing and frustrating and fraught, especially in a Windows-OS-based development environment, which is (for the most part) implied for HeroLab stuff.

That said, I write software for a living, and I couldn't do my job without it. I'm reasonably familiar with it, and I'd be happy to try to explain stuff if there's interest...
Doskious is offline   #226 Reply With Quote
Angela2013

Old January 22nd, 2020, 11:29 AM
Is there a way to get the Region of Origin tab to be able to be used at the same time as Ethnicities?

For example: Moon elf born to elven parents that were captured by human Vikings living on the Great Glacier.

Base Race -- Elf
Ethnicity -- Moon
Region of Origin -- Great Glacier

As it stands you can only choose an Ethnicity or a Region of Origin not both.

Is there an adjustment that can add one or the other back or a way around this?

Some days I don't know why I bother to chew through the restraints.
Angela2013 is offline   #227 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old January 22nd, 2020, 08:21 PM
Birthright was a fun setting.
Probably my favorite from AD&D 2nd edition.
Ualaa is offline   #228 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 26th, 2020, 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela2013 View Post
Is there a way to get the Region of Origin tab to be able to be used at the same time as Ethnicities?

For example: Moon elf born to elven parents that were captured by human Vikings living on the Great Glacier.

Base Race -- Elf
Ethnicity -- Moon
Region of Origin -- Great Glacier

As it stands you can only choose an Ethnicity or a Region of Origin not both.

Is there an adjustment that can add one or the other back or a way around this?
I am sorry for the delay, I've been busy preping a PF Modern game I'm running. As it stands, the answer is no, they are mutually exclusive code. Though it should be noted that I based the ethnicity code, off of the Origin Code, so in theory it might be possible to recode it, but I am a bit busy at the moment. I will try to create an adjustment to override this, but as it stands. No.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #229 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old January 26th, 2020, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doskious View Post
Howdy folks! I've encountered a bug; for the Dragonlance Wizard of High Sorcery PrC, there's a pre-req that's supposed to be checking for the ability to cast 2nd-level Arcane spells that's written like this:

Code:
@valid = 1

@valid = 0
   endif
  endif
And I'm pretty sure the truth-values should be inverted, like this:

Code:
@valid = 0

@valid = 1
   endif
  endif

As far as the whole Git-thing...

Git, and GitHub, and the whole application of branching Version Control is confusing and frustrating and fraught, especially in a Windows-OS-based development environment, which is (for the most part) implied for HeroLab stuff.

That said, I write software for a living, and I couldn't do my job without it. I'm reasonably familiar with it, and I'd be happy to try to explain stuff if there's interest...
I think you are correct, although the wizards of high sorcery as a class were rather clumsily written in the original source. Part of the class made it seem like it could be applied to ALL arcane spellcasters, but yet there were class features that were exclusively designed for the WIZARD and the specialized school mechanic.

At one point I had intended of reworking the class into an ARCHETYPE, to resolve this issue, but I never go around to it. Interestingly, I also had this problem when coding the RED WIZARD of THEY which tbh is a very similar class. Designed for Uber-Specialization to the extreme exclusion to all other things.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #230 Reply With Quote