Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Imastir

Old June 18th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Hi all,
I created a cleric today, but to me it looks like there is an error in the spell slots allowed for the cleric.
I created a tempest cleric 5th lvl, and according to the player's handbook i should have a total of 9 spells (4 / 1st - 3 / 2nd and 2 / 3rd) but hero lab only gives me 7 spells.
Could that be corrected, or am i wrong ?

Kind regards.
Imastir is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old June 19th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I tried 2 different builds of a tempest cleric (5th level), one a Goliath and a Human (variant), both came out with the appropriate number of spell slots.

I even tryed setting Wisdom to 10 to see if that affected things. It didn't. I am uncertain what would be causing this issue for you. Are you using any of your own custom material?

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 19th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Are you sure you're not confusing slots available with number of spells memorized?

A cleric can only memorize a number of spells equal to their level plus their wisdom bonus. These spells can be any level for which they have appropriate level slots available. You also get the free memorized domain spells.

SO:
a 5th level cleric with a +2 wisdom bonus can memorize 7 spells.
they can cast those spells using the slots given for their level:
4x 1st level slots, 3x 2nd level, 2x 3rd level.

This means they can memorize 7 spells in any combination:
- all 7 1st level spells
- all 7 3rd level spells
- any 7 of spells 1st-3rd level

The slots are seperate - if you memorized all 7 spells available as 1st level you could cast 4x 1st level spells as 1st level, plus some of the spells as 2nd level - like casting Cure Wounds as 2nd level or 3rd level.

Note, some people think that the Domain spells can be cast for free - they are not - they require expending a spell slot just like any other.

Last edited by dungeonguru; June 19th, 2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: corrected a number
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Imastir

Old June 19th, 2018, 11:26 PM
Indeed you are right, i noticed my mistake and confused spell slots with memorized spells. It's working as intended
Thank you for clearing it out, it's very clear now and it wasn't when reading the manual
Imastir is offline   #4 Reply With Quote