Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Bidmaron

Old August 19th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I have read every manual with the software, and I haven't found a way to do what I believe needs to be done.

I'd like to have a by-snippet flag to deal with canonicity. That is, I want to flag the stuff I make up as 'customized' or 'non-canon,' while the stuff I get out of the PDFs is canon (with a default you can control as canon while you are in cut-and-paste mode). This needs to be by-snippet. We probably need the ability to set something as in-between (e.g. if you take something from a Pathfinder novel, I'm not sure I'd call that canon)

I view this as analogous to the truth flags that are already there.
Bidmaron is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old August 19th, 2014, 07:38 PM
In the meantime you could use a GM note, which would allow you to specify exactly what level of canon-ness plus make notes.
MaxSupernova is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old August 20th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Good point, MaxSuper, but you can't filter on GM notes, and that is one of the things you'd like to be able to do.

For example, suppose you want to reuse your campaign once that feature gets added. You would want to review all the non-canon material and strip out some of that in a lot of cases.
Bidmaron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old August 20th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Oh, yeah, totally. But some functionality might be better than none in the meantime. :-D
MaxSupernova is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
I have read every manual with the software, and I haven't found a way to do what I believe needs to be done.

I'd like to have a by-snippet flag to deal with canonicity. That is, I want to flag the stuff I make up as 'customized' or 'non-canon,' while the stuff I get out of the PDFs is canon (with a default you can control as canon while you are in cut-and-paste mode). This needs to be by-snippet. We probably need the ability to set something as in-between (e.g. if you take something from a Pathfinder novel, I'm not sure I'd call that canon)

I view this as analogous to the truth flags that are already there.
I ran into this similar challenge ... but resolved probably differently than most... As Bidmaron suggests a similar feature akin to the truth flags would be helpful, but low on my wish list...

Since I build the majority of canon related material within the story line tab under elements (though not exclusively) I simply flag each "non-canon" element with a "₡" prefix... crude, but allows me to search (search for ₡), and later when there is a feature to utilize a find / replace to remove them.

₡ is simply a nonstandard character that RW or HL is likely to have .. Within the editor there is a symbol choice or Every PC has a character map to define nonstandard characters.. or just enter "HB- for homebrew or NC for noncanon
I preferred the unusual single keystroke for simplicity and its unlikely duplicated elsewhere by accident
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old August 21st, 2014, 06:50 PM
If you reveal it to the players, they now know it is non-canon.
Bidmaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:27 AM
I like the concept of truth flags for this.

For me, if it's in my campaign it is canon. It doesn't matter what some other person writes/creates before/after/during that point. My world is the center of my universe....

But once we begin sharing material, my universe blurs and I need to play nicely in the multiverse. While I don't have an issue with multiple realities, others will want to remain very pure and I respect that.
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:58 AM
Just wondering, once sharing/marketplace is enabled, wouldn't it be best to create a campaign that's "canon" and then share it into another campaign that adds on the non-canon stuff?

Of course not something that can be done now, and the question would be "can I tell the difference between shared stuff and local campaign stuff?"

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
If you reveal it to the players, they now know it is non-canon.
So? There are no canon police.. Seriously, as AEIOU stated,,, its your world.... that makes it canon for you... as long as you maintain consistency. I mark non-canon for me should I ever share the info with someone else in the future so they know where it originated from....

For Example, In the WOG (World of Greyhawk) settinig canon dictates a group of heros recovered the Crook of Rao banishing a group of evil minions. This set into motion a change in the course of the war within the realm (Furyondy in this case). TSR and later Wizards of the Coast built many elements around this event, thus making it all "canon" (ie published works). Problem is my Players blew the quest and failed to recover the Crook. Result, no evil minion banish, darker outcome for the forces of good, etc. BUT all those results are "non-canon" compared to the "published" account. I simply use what is published as a baseline and tweek the result based on what my players successes and failures are. That is campaign management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU
For me, if it's in my campaign it is canon. It doesn't matter what some other person writes/creates before/after/during that point. My world is the center of my universe....

But once we begin sharing material, my universe blurs and I need to play nicely in the multiverse. While I don't have an issue with multiple realities, others will want to remain very pure and I respect that.
I agree...
And as I write on another site about canon, the lines can get very fuzzy. Being a diehard WOG writer, forum contributor, and DM for nearly 30yrs, that setting has seen its share of Canon, Semi-canon, Fanon.
Some follow it religiously, others as a template, some not at all. As Gygax once wrote, "its your world, and welcome to it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofdragons
Just wondering, once sharing/marketplace is enabled, wouldn't it be best to create a campaign that's "canon" and then share it into another campaign that adds on the non-canon stuff?

Of course not something that can be done now, and the question would be "can I tell the difference between shared stuff and local campaign stuff?"
LoD brings a valid point... once sharing of realms is a feature (which will be very nice) How would you know then? via the "source tab" added not so long ago perhaps? But that would still not drill down to the snipit level others have mentioned above... hummmmm
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:45 AM
Galen/AEIOU, I understand how YOU want to do campaign management. Great, go do it. I want to know the material I made up and the material that is canon, and I won't be able to remember two days later. As for the source, that won't work because it is on a topic basis, not snippet.

Also, consider this scenario: You run RotR with your group. Now you want to run another adventure path in Varisia. Do you want it to be before or after your RotR adventure? You shouldn't be forced to run it after, and if you want to run it before, you would like to have an easy way to strip out all the non-canon material.

To me canonicity is a basic element of campaign management. If it's something I wrote, I won't feel bad about modifying it later if I think I need to. If it is canon, I'd think a little harder before I modify it.

Anyway, the software tries hard not to force people into a 'my way or the highway mode,' and it should support flagging canonicity. It's not as important as a calendar to me, but it's not too far behind either.
Bidmaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote