Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 16th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollution View Post
Does this mean there is progress on the ability to scan for new links without opening every single topic, making a change and then deleting that change so that the topic will rescan for links?
This is on the list of things we want to get in for December, but that probably won't make it. Doing this is actually a significant chunk of work, which is why we haven't done it yet.
rob is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 16th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
This is an intriguing idea. We've always envisioned RW as the "hub", like the conductor of an orchestra. GMs would use RW to weave together resources from external tools, such as sounds with Syrinscape, portfolios for Hero Lab, or specific encounters to run within a VTT. Your proposal would turn that on its head, making the VTT the "hub". I'm not sure how well that would work, as you'd lose the vast majority of RW's power in the process. But it's an intriguing idea, nonetheless.

I recommend posting this idea in the Feature Requests section. Its relative merits can then be discussed there.
Ok, rob. You nailed what I would like. The reason I want this is because the way we play we want the tabletop to be the focus not the world almanac. I love RW as it is the only thing that effectively lets me make an immersive world. But my games still run In my VTT
Bidmaron is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Daelda

Old November 17th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Copying Realms [December]

As mentioned above, the use of secured content precludes re-exporting that material, which has the potential to limit how secured material can be adapted and re-used. To mitigate these situations, realms can be copied without involving the export/import mechanism. Users can import secured content into a realm, adapt it as they see fit, and then copy the realm. The copy can then be used to run a campaign, leaving the original intact for future re-use.
Okay, now here's where I'm a little confused... (and maybe I'm just over-complicating things)

I have two Campaigns currently running in the same world. "Halea's Tears" and "Dark Rethem". Both use the same source material.

Now, let's say that I purchase a copy of "Orcs and the Dwarves Who Love Them - Campaign Guide" - I add that to my "Source Realm" - the one that is unaltered, so as to not edit the original.

I then make two duplicate copies of the Realm - one for each of my Campaigns. But...what if I enter in new content that applies to both Campaigns (because, well, World-Building doesn't really end, does it)? Also, let's say that a week later I purchase, "Harnic War-Ferrets -Sourcebook". I add the new Sourcebook to the "Source Realm". But am I then able to add it to "Halea's Tears" and "Dark Rethem"? Or do I have to re-copy the Source Realm? If I alter the material from the "Orcs and the Dwarves Who Love Them - Campaign Guide" in "Halea's Tears", do I then have to do the exact same alterations in "Dark Rethem"? Or is there a way to copy over the changes to "Dark Rethem" from "Halea's Tears"?

Thank you for clearing up my confusion - it is much appreciated!
Daelda is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old November 17th, 2016, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daelda View Post
Okay, now here's where I'm a little confused... (and maybe I'm just over-complicating things)

I have two Campaigns currently running in the same world. "Halea's Tears" and "Dark Rethem". Both use the same source material.

Now, let's say that I purchase a copy of "Orcs and the Dwarves Who Love Them - Campaign Guide" - I add that to my "Source Realm" - the one that is unaltered, so as to not edit the original.

I then make two duplicate copies of the Realm - one for each of my Campaigns. But...what if I enter in new content that applies to both Campaigns (because, well, World-Building doesn't really end, does it)? Also, let's say that a week later I purchase, "Harnic War-Ferrets -Sourcebook". I add the new Sourcebook to the "Source Realm". But am I then able to add it to "Halea's Tears" and "Dark Rethem"? Or do I have to re-copy the Source Realm? If I alter the material from the "Orcs and the Dwarves Who Love Them - Campaign Guide" in "Halea's Tears", do I then have to do the exact same alterations in "Dark Rethem"? Or is there a way to copy over the changes to "Dark Rethem" from "Halea's Tears"?

Thank you for clearing up my confusion - it is much appreciated!
As I understand it, this all depends on they type of copy you use when copying from your 'source realm'. There are going to be two types of copying... don't ask me their names, I don't remember and don't feel like searching through Rob's past posts on copying.

Anyway, one type of copy creates a stand alone realm that once created never references the 'source realm' ever again. In this realm, if you buy a new piece of content on the market and want to incorporate it then you have to incorporate it into each and every stand alone realm you have.

On the other hand, there is a 'linked copy' for lack of a better term that will incorporate changes you make to the source realm into your 'child realm', unless one of your edit's in the child realm overrides something in the source realm.

So any edits, additions, corrections made to the 'source realm' can be updated into 'child realms' whether it is your own material or purchased content from the market. But this all depends on the type of copy you use linked or stand alone.

Also, although I'm guessing on this, you may need a cloud subscription since I'm assuming this will require syncing through the LWD servers.
Viking2054 is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Daelda

Old November 18th, 2016, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
As I understand it, this all depends on they type of copy you use when copying from your 'source realm'. There are going to be two types of copying... don't ask me their names, I don't remember and don't feel like searching through Rob's past posts on copying.

Anyway, one type of copy creates a stand alone realm that once created never references the 'source realm' ever again. In this realm, if you buy a new piece of content on the market and want to incorporate it then you have to incorporate it into each and every stand alone realm you have.

On the other hand, there is a 'linked copy' for lack of a better term that will incorporate changes you make to the source realm into your 'child realm', unless one of your edit's in the child realm overrides something in the source realm.

So any edits, additions, corrections made to the 'source realm' can be updated into 'child realms' whether it is your own material or purchased content from the market. But this all depends on the type of copy you use linked or stand alone.

Also, although I'm guessing on this, you may need a cloud subscription since I'm assuming this will require syncing through the LWD servers.
Okay, that makes some sense. But will I be able to link a copy to a linked copy I wonder? For example, I have my "Source Realm", where I store the unedited, original material - I link that to my "Halea's Tears" Realm - thus anything added to the "Source Realm" is added to it, and I won't change any original material. Then, I link "Halea's Tears" to "Dark Rethem" - thus, any changes I make to "Halea's Tears" (since they are in the same world as Dark Rethem" will also be carried over, but I can make edits to Dark Rethem if they are different (for whatever reason) from those in "Halea's Tears".

If that's how it works - awesome! It will save me a lot of work, although once the Content Market and these features are launched, I will have a decent amount of work ahead of me in setting up these linked Realms, and moving my players into the new Realms.

As to the subscription - I have one and should have one for a long, long time.

Thanks for the help! I hope that this is how it works (or some variation thereof). I am so glad that I stumbled onto the Kickstarter back when it was still running, and helped them get this off the ground! It's been a long road at times, but one well worth it! At this point, I don't think I could run my game without Realm Works.
Daelda is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 18th, 2016, 12:05 AM
Copying realms is just that - a snapshot copy at that point in time. When you copy a realm, it is not added into another realm. The original realm BECOMES the new realm. Think of it like copying a file on your computer. There is no merging of information.

If you want your content to be merged and evolve, then you'll need to use the export and import mechanisms. When you export content, we track the original source of each piece of data, and we preserve that when it gets imported. So when you import updates to that content, we can detect it and merge everything together.

If you are dealing with purchased (i.e. secured) content, then that content won't be varying. It will be the same content every time that you bring it into a realm. So you can import that content into multiple realms and get the identical results each time. Consequently, if you copy a realm and later purchase new content that you want in both, you can simply import it into each of the two realms.

The only limitation of all this is when you want to import a bunch of purchased content, mash it all up, and re-use the mash-up in multiple realms. In order to do this, you'll need to copy the realm, since export won't include all the purchased material. However, if you then want to continue evolving the first realm and duplicating those changes into the second, you'll be limited to only your own new creations at that point. Any purchased content you bring into the first realm will not be exportable and re-importable into the second realm, so mash-ups of subsequently purchased content won't export cleanly. That being said, you can always independently import new material into the second realm.

This limitation is a by-product of needing to ensure that secured content cannot be freely copied via the export mechanism. It's also only an issue due to the use of export/import to handle all this stuff. Once we have all this logic orchestrated entirely through our server, these constraints disappear. We're still working towards all that, since that was our original vision and design. We instituted the export/import solution as an interim step along the way.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 18th, 2016, 12:11 AM
Quote:
If you are dealing with purchased (i.e. secured) content, then that content won't be varying. It will be the same content every time that you bring it into a realm. So you can import that content into multiple realms and get the identical results each time. Consequently, if you copy a realm and later purchase new content that you want in both, you can simply import it into each of the two realms.
Hi Rob, the purchased content might vary if there is a newer release available for the purchased content? (bug fixes, and so on)
Farling is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 18th, 2016, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Hi Rob, the purchased content might vary if there is a newer release available for the purchased content? (bug fixes, and so on)
Correct. Since purchased content uses the import logic, newer version of purchased content with errata and the like will automatically update existing topics within the realm.

My example was based on the assumption that you purchased ContentX and then wanted to use it within Realm1 and Realm2 right away, which was what it sounded like was being asked.
rob is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 18th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Quote:
My example was based on the assumption that you purchased ContentX and then wanted to use it within Realm1 and Realm2 right away, which was what it sounded like was being asked.
I was just heading off the follow-up question
Farling is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Daelda

Old November 18th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully you can get the server logic fixed up not too far into the future, so that I can do what I am envisioning. Until then, I'll have to make-do with doing the same edits twice - once in each realm, and any personal world edits a third time in the original Realm, so as to have an unaltered copy of purchased content.

Thanks again for all your efforts! I don't know how I would run my games without it now.
Daelda is offline   #30 Reply With Quote